Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

1. Welcome to the 12ozProphet Forum...
    You are currently logged out and viewing our forum as a guest which only allows limited access to our discussions, photos and other forum features. If you are a 12ozProphet Member please login to get the full experience.

If you are not a 12ozProphet Member, please take a moment to register to gain full access to our website and all of its features. As a 12ozProphet Member you will be able to post comments, start discussions, communicate privately with other members and access members-only content. Registration is fast, simple and free, so join today and be a part of the largest and longest running Graffiti, Art, Style & Culture forum online.

Please note, if you are a 12ozProphet Member and are locked out of your account, you can recover your account using the 'lost password' link in the login form. If you no longer have access to the email you registered with, please email us at [email protected] and we'll help you recover your account. Welcome to the 12ozProphet Forum (and don't forget to follow @12ozprophet in Instagram)!

Barry McGee Adidas Limited...

Discussion in 'Style' started by Joker, Apr 11, 2006.

1. Joker

Joker Dirty Dozen Crew

2. unbecoming

unbecoming New Jack

the shoes are hot.

these days if you so much as mention the fact that people look different, whether its making fun of it, being racist, being anti-racist, or jus stating facts. someones gonna get mad. the only reason theyre getting mad at this is cuz its a shoe which is harder for people to see as art

3. Abracadabra

Abracadabra Dirty Dozen Crew

i bet after all the controversy all the shoe manufacturers are falling over themselves to get ol' barry to do some shoes for them. there's no such thing as bad press

4. seeking

seeking Dirty Dozen Crew

i can see how folks would take that as racist though. if you stuck a picture of a black guy with an afro and giant lips eating a watermellon...even if a black guy drew it, shit would be taken as racist as fuck. people forget that asians get discriminated against too. just because they make more money, have a higher rate of college graduates, are fucking awesome at math and ping pong, people forget that they have feelings. that aint right.

5. Joker

Joker Dirty Dozen Crew

I felt the same way.

While I'm not offended by the shoe itself, I can see how an Asian would be. Imagine and drawing of Black Face on the tongue of the shoe and the name Jones on the back panel instead of Fong. Even if a black artist did the design people are going to get a wee bit upset. Especially those who aren't familiar with the artists work.

I see where Barry was going with it though. Even down to the Fong reference.

Personally, I don't find the shoes all that great as far as the overall design though. It's definitely a shoe collector item. Which is funny because most shoe collectors are Asian. At least from what I saw one day trying to get into Huf's in San Francisco...

6. Abracadabra

yeah, and how many asian kids under the age of 25 that collected the sneakersdo you think actually gave a shit? i bet them suckers are selling like hot cakes on japanese ebay

7. mr_incognito

mr_incognito New Jack

as a hapa i dont trip off certian things, and besides asians are pretty cool when it comes to joking with culture.

8. coffie crave 7

coffie crave 7 Member

Adidas came out with a whole series of adicolor ...the fongs are the yellow series ...asians yellow get it? thats another reason they are pissed, but idk whatever ppl bitch alot

9. mackfatsoe

mackfatsoe Veteran Member

It's all about context. Barry Mcgee using that character doesnt offend me at all, I mean if you know anything about him or what he does you'd know it's not some ignorant shit. But when a company like Abercrombie and Fitch throws some half-assed chinese characters on a shirt and makes some joke about laundry, motherfuckers get angry.

10. sarcasm

sarcasm Elite Member

yeahhhhh....no.
    that doesn't bother me one bit...
    i wouldn't wear them though, shits ugly... like the dude on the tounge

11. sofarok

sofarok Dirty Dozen Crew

12. Abracadabra

13. courtorder

courtorder Senior Member

I'm goin with ABC on this one.

14. mackfatsoe

mackfatsoe Veteran Member

those shirts look like they fit funny.

15. GLIK$

GLIK$ Dirty Dozen Crew

These designs are almost as good as IRAK gear!