Barry McGee Adidas Limited...

Joker

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

the shoes are hot.

these days if you so much as mention the fact that people look different, whether its making fun of it, being racist, being anti-racist, or jus stating facts. someones gonna get mad. the only reason theyre getting mad at this is cuz its a shoe which is harder for people to see as art

i can see how folks would take that as racist though. if you stuck a picture of a black guy with an afro and giant lips eating a watermellon...even if a black guy drew it, shit would be taken as racist as fuck. people forget that asians get discriminated against too. just because they make more money, have a higher rate of college graduates, are fucking awesome at math and ping pong, people forget that they have feelings. that aint right.

I felt the same way.

While I'm not offended by the shoe itself, I can see how an Asian would be. Imagine and drawing of Black Face on the tongue of the shoe and the name Jones on the back panel instead of Fong. Even if a black artist did the design people are going to get a wee bit upset. Especially those who aren't familiar with the artists work.

I see where Barry was going with it though. Even down to the Fong reference.

Personally, I don't find the shoes all that great as far as the overall design though. It's definitely a shoe collector item. Which is funny because most shoe collectors are Asian. At least from what I saw one day trying to get into Huf's in San Francisco...

I felt the same way.

While I'm not offended by the shoe itself, I can see how an Asian would be. Imagine and drawing of Black Face on the tongue of the shoe and the name Jones on the back panel instead of Fong. Even if a black artist did the design people are going to get a wee bit upset. Especially those who aren't familiar with the artists work.

I see where Barry was going with it though. Even down to the Fong reference.

Personally, I don't find the shoes all that great as far as the overall design though. It's definitely a shoe collector item. Which is funny because most shoe collectors are Asian. At least from what I saw one day trying to get into Huf's in San Francisco...

as a hapa i dont trip off certian things, and besides asians are pretty cool when it comes to joking with culture.

It's all about context. Barry Mcgee using that character doesnt offend me at all, I mean if you know anything about him or what he does you'd know it's not some ignorant shit. But when a company like Abercrombie and Fitch throws some half-assed chinese characters on a shirt and makes some joke about laundry, motherfuckers get angry.