Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

1. Welcome to the 12ozProphet Forum...
    You are currently logged out and viewing our forum as a guest which only allows limited access to our discussions, photos and other forum features. If you are a 12ozProphet Member please login to get the full experience.

If you are not a 12ozProphet Member, please take a moment to register to gain full access to our website and all of its features. As a 12ozProphet Member you will be able to post comments, start discussions, communicate privately with other members and access members-only content. Registration is fast, simple and free, so join today and be a part of the largest and longest running Graffiti, Art, Style & Culture forum online.

Please note, if you are a 12ozProphet Member and are locked out of your account, you can recover your account using the 'lost password' link in the login form. If you no longer have access to the email you registered with, please email us at [email protected] and we'll help you recover your account. Welcome to the 12ozProphet Forum (and don't forget to follow @12ozprophet in Instagram)!

1984 in Britain

Discussion in 'Channel Zero' started by mangoria, Jan 12, 2004.

1. mangoria

mangoria Junior Member

Big Brother Britain, 2004
    Four million CCTV cameras watch public. UK has the highest level of surveillance

12 January 2004

More than four million surveillance cameras monitor our every move, making Britain the most-watched nation in the world, research has revealed.

The number of closed circuit television (CCTV) cameras has quadrupled in the past three years, and there is now one for every 14 people in the UK. The increase is happening at twice the predicted rate, and it is believed that Britain accounts for one-fifth of all CCTV cameras worldwide. Estimates suggest that residents of a city such as London can each expect to be captured on CCTV cameras up to 300 times a day, and much of the filming breaches existing data guidelines.

Civil liberties groups complain that the rules governing the use of the cameras in Britain are the most lax in the world. They say that, in contrast to other countries, members of the public are often unaware they are being filmed, and are usually ignorant of the relevant regulations. They also argue that there is little evidence to support the contention that CCTV cameras lead to a reduction in crime rates.

full story

edit: did the link wrong

2. Nic Thamaire

Nic Thamaire Elite Member

going for security reduces liberty,its too late for complain..game over.

ps:i heard you decided to be sober for 2004!! i cannot believe it!!

3. SteveAustin

SteveAustin Veteran Member

how many people are watching all the camera feeds?

4. caL

caL Senior Member

telescreens and newspeak here you come
    :eek:

5. mangoria

mangoria Junior Member

as long as walking around town brown bagging it doesn't count :D

Austin: it doesnt say how many people man them in the article...

6. $360

$360 Elite Member

there is no possible way to walk down oxford st in london without being on CCTV 187532765967764354328653861328654196 times.

theres even signs about it.

7. sneak

sneak Guest

i knew it! londons fucking covered in the little shits.
    and the feeds are pretty much being watched by someone 24/7
    (not meaning camera's inside shops for example which are taped, but rather the camera on the street to "serve and protect the area")

8. SteveAustin

SteveAustin Veteran Member

eh, that was a bit on the sarcastic side. I hate cameras as much as everyone else...but one person can only watch so many cameras at one time. I'm sure these people fuck around at work the same as everyone else. I think I'd be asleep within 30 minutes if my job was just to sit there and stare at small ass monitors all day. I think everyone should stage some illegal ish to see what the response time is. I bet a can of aerosol hair spray would do the trick.

9. Jackson

Jackson Veteran Member

As a Londoner:
    Yes there are lots of cameras, especially around Oxford Street and the more touristy areas, but the back streets and residential areas arent that bad, and ninja techniques can always be used when writing.
    edit: And anyway, fuck em, I aint going soft, nothings gonna happen anyway. Jackson: Hasnthadabadexperiencetouchwoodoner.