1984 in Britain

mangoria

Big Brother Britain, 2004

Four million CCTV cameras watch public. UK has the highest level of surveillance

12 January 2004

More than four million surveillance cameras monitor our every move, making Britain the most-watched nation in the world, research has revealed.

The number of closed circuit television (CCTV) cameras has quadrupled in the past three years, and there is now one for every 14 people in the UK. The increase is happening at twice the predicted rate, and it is believed that Britain accounts for one-fifth of all CCTV cameras worldwide. Estimates suggest that residents of a city such as London can each expect to be captured on CCTV cameras up to 300 times a day, and much of the filming breaches existing data guidelines.

Civil liberties groups complain that the rules governing the use of the cameras in Britain are the most lax in the world. They say that, in contrast to other countries, members of the public are often unaware they are being filmed, and are usually ignorant of the relevant regulations. They also argue that there is little evidence to support the contention that CCTV cameras lead to a reduction in crime rates.

full story

edit: did the link wrong

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
Originally posted by Nic Thamaire

going for security reduces liberty,its too late for complain..game over.

ps:i heard you decided to be sober for 2004!! i cannot believe it!!

as long as walking around town brown bagging it doesn't count :D

Austin: it doesnt say how many people man them in the article...

i knew it! londons fucking covered in the little shits.

and the feeds are pretty much being watched by someone 24/7

(not meaning camera's inside shops for example which are taped, but rather the camera on the street to "serve and protect the area")

Originally posted by mangoria

Austin: it doesnt say how many people man them in the article...

eh, that was a bit on the sarcastic side. I hate cameras as much as everyone else...but one person can only watch so many cameras at one time. I'm sure these people fuck around at work the same as everyone else. I think I'd be asleep within 30 minutes if my job was just to sit there and stare at small ass monitors all day. I think everyone should stage some illegal ish to see what the response time is. I bet a can of aerosol hair spray would do the trick.

As a Londoner:

Yes there are lots of cameras, especially around Oxford Street and the more touristy areas, but the back streets and residential areas arent that bad, and ninja techniques can always be used when writing.

edit: And anyway, fuck em, I aint going soft, nothings gonna happen anyway. Jackson: Hasnthadabadexperiencetouchwoodoner.

Archived