For you ceramic heads..

ShortFuse

So with my frustration of the lack of productivity in my life I was supremely bummed with every medium I dealt with yesterday and I thought to myself...when was the last time I was happy even if it didnt turn out the way I wanted it? Back when I was involved with clay THAT WAS WHEN!! So im kinda jazzed up for it all. I recently moved and have a lot of property at my disposal so Im gonna start doing ceramics again by means of Pit Firing.

Pit Firing is a no glaze fire where the elements in the fire "paint" your work. It really can create some beautiful stuff. Heres some examples of other work.... (not mine)

96-Pot-Pit-A-CD-49-wr-M.jpg

2._PIT_FIRED_URN.jpg

bhlgpueblo.jpg

Ill be posting some pics soon of how all this goes.

• Like 1

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

yeah. I mean it awesome what certain elements contribute.

Hardwood sawdust Black, dark gray

Hardwood coals Black, smoky gray, blue-grays

Cow pies from grass fed cows Gun metal black, jet black, golden yellows

Cow pies from grain fed cows Dark greens, grays, blacks, browns

Driftwood Blue-grays, aqua shades, gray-blacks

Seaweed roots Browns, rust, honey

Kelp leaves Yellow, orange, peach

Kelp pods Orange, brown

Saline grown leaves, twigs, grass Golden yellows, greens

Table salt Orange, yellows

Sea salt Salmon, orange, yellow, gold, peach

Copper carbonate Green, black, maroon, reds

Cobalt carbonate Blues

Ferric chloride Iron reds, yellows, oranges

Well Im attempting to do an all in one fire. The "experts" advise against it considering how fragile dry clay is and that the danger of breaking it is considerably high (pitfiring is pretty rough). After that being said I still dont have the extra 3 grand to just pull out of my ass and buy a decent kiln. I want to eventually but Im going to see other alternatives at the moment, I did a test fire today to see how hot I could get it and I will say I got that shit torching.

Clay is bisqued usually around cone 010-06 which basically means 1500 f to 2000 f. Normal fires consist of heats around the high hundreds into the thousand and up. So as long as you can keep it going and the heat contained then there is no reason why you shouldnt be able to bisque in it. Although Pit Fire techniques is kinda an all in one thing. The clay has to glow in order for it to transform into ceramic. I had a infrared temp thing on me but it only went to 1000 F. The out ring of my pit measured in the high 900s so the middle of that thing had to be intense. Also as long as you can manage to bury your clay piece in extremely hot coals you should be able to transform it.

So i did a test fire today. I mean not like it was a hassel...i got to burn shit for a couple of hours :) I didnt use a piece of terracotta that I had laying around but I did throw a patty of natural GA clay I got digging the hole. I wanted what results it would show me since if it works then I know I have 8 acres of free natural clay deposit :) heres some pics. the hole is close to 5 feet deep.

oh and yeah GA clay isnt easy shit to dig through...I dug that bitch in the freezing rain cause a wet ground is easier but....it still sucked big time.

16is5fb.jpg

fa7vpx.jpg

e666bo.jpg

2hd9rmv.jpg

is that yours?

i remember in highschool they had a kiln (spelling may be off) that would go crazy hot i wasnt in ceramics i just ditched a lot and made shit. it was fun but i never really got into it and actually cared about all the different shit you can do but looking at that lit of things like sawdust and what not now it sounds a lot more intersting to me.

Word. Yeah well its been a minute since Ive done ceramics. I made a stupid lil coil thing for a test piece. Im testing terracotta clay (which is all I have at the moment) just to see if I can get the thing hot enough to transform my clay to ceramic. The pics of the pots are more than likely made with a white clay. Either way its trial and error for me since I just moved, dont have a job yet, and Im working with what I got. But Ill keep you all posted.

:edit: Tomorrow the pit should be cool enough to dig up that pot and see if it worked.

• Like 1

Raku and Pitfiring are I think similar styles. Raku is where you glaze with different raku glazes and use a kiln to heat them up then take them out once glowing hot and toss them into a small hole with sawdust and other elements and cover it up so that smoke affects the glaze. Pitfring is a non glaze technique that the certain elements added in the fire literally paint the pot. The pots are burnished (smoothed before drying for a glossy texture) before pitfiring.

Well Im stuck without a job at the moment. I go tomorrow to check back and see if theyre gonna hire me. Everything went well on the first interview so I dont see why not. Im stuck until I get a cash flow...didnt expect it to take this long.

For Mr Three. I havent done wheel since 2005 but Im custom building a wheel with my first paycheck so I can get back into throwing. I have a small amount of terra cotta that Im rehydrating to build something in the mean time doing slab work. I was so jazzed about all this and now Im just trying to have patience until I can start putting out work.

I have an old only bisque fired teapot I did back in 05 (its actually a big letter B that looks to be deflating like a tire) that I think Im going to throw in the pit and see what happens. Sucks that I never burnished it and you get the best affects with colors from the pit when theyre burnished before bisque fired.

Sorry to be a disappointment :-/

How goes the ceramics ShortFuse? Any luck?

Also to add. The pit gets hot enough but the temperature is too inconsistent to fire right or at least its too tough to risk putting anything in it without it already being bisque fired. The natural clay hardened good enough I just have to purify it some more and the other Terracotta test piece turned into ceramic but broke more than likely because of the roughness of the process. Found a site that shows how to make a kiln for like 100 bucks and will do what I need before I pit fire. So Im back to waiting.

• 4 months later...

Well its been a few months and Ive been trying to establish myself better in this different state of mine. A lot has been on hold but with a good tax return and having a job that is...well its better than my first one here. Anyways I was pricing Ceramic fiber blankets etc to build a custom kiln to finally get things going with the money I have, which is only 900. Not bad but it wont buy a brand new kiln...thats 3000 haha. So in the middle of researching and pricing I decided to check Craigslist once again. In recently searches I found no kilns for sale in GA. I was shocked because there were tons in FL. So pessimistically I searched once again.....

Saw this last night

"For sale is a Paragon ceramic Kiln stack 3 high it has aprox 200 molds with it. In great shape and a great deal for someone whom wants to fire their own ceramics

Comes with the original paperwork and all the shelves"

I emailed the guy and received a response early this morning. Called him and went to go check it out today. It was good he was only 25 mins away. Pulled down his road (dirt road) to see crappy house after crappy house after really crappy house. Im a glass half full guy but I was feeling mighty crappy and losing my anticipation for anything good.....

Turns out.....in his little shack he had all of this (the pics are from my shop).

2md0z4.jpg

2w6cjds.jpg

24b7yfn.jpg

2vl5dgx.jpg

2v2efq9.jpg

33aap9c.jpg

He picked it up from some old lady that got sent to a nursing home....he needed the storage space so for $400 bucks and 3 car loads I got it home :-D

Im grinning ear to ear. The kiln is in great condition and all those molds. Never was a big fan doing slip casts but I could just pass up the chance. I got Vase molds, animal molds, house molds, plate molds...etc etc. A ton of glazes which should still be in good shape, if not they should be able to be re-hydrated.

Im just one happy dude right now...So hopefully soon youll see some stuff from me in the Art thread.