something wrong with my mop paint...

coolnammy1

So i was trying a new recipe to make some paint for my mop today but the streaks dont come out as solid. I was just wondering on some suggestions on how to fix the problem. I have a couple ideas but i'm not sure.

1. too much thinner?

2. need to cut out the regulator?

any help/advice for mop paint making would be really appreciated. also, if anybody is willing to share what they add to their mop recipes to make them stain hard (please dont say dot3 break fluid....), that'd be great.

Here is what it currently looks like.

dsc00323gt2.jpg

Here is how i want it to look (borrowed pic)

untitled-1.jpg

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
Don't take out the flow regulator, just give the mop a good squeeze while using it, but if worst comes to worst just fuck around with the amount of thinner you use and eventually you'll find a mix you like.

yeah. taking out the regulator makes the mop leak like crazy. one guy on SR says put MORE thinner in there. the only 2 things i see coming out of that are

1. the paint will flow easier through and hopefully become solid (good)

OR

2. the paint will water down even more and make the effect worse

but i guess those are the only 2 options that could happen anywayz.........

im almost positive you used an acrylic paint and thinned it. what did you use?

acrylics dont thin, they dont mix with thinner too well.. you need enamel paint, no acrylic to it. I had that same problem when i first tried making my own paint mops and such.

• 2 weeks later...
im almost positive you used an acrylic paint and thinned it. what did you use?

acrylics dont thin, they dont mix with thinner too well.. you need enamel paint, no acrylic to it. I had that same problem when i first tried making my own paint mops and such.

actually its the exact opposite ); i used rusto oil based enamel and in the 2nd picture the guy used acrylics.

• 1 month later...