-----> NY OLD SKOOL (1969-1974) <-----

nxrto

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • Replies 744
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Zed never lets me down.

----------

2000 yrs of wall writing is great, I been sitting on that for years too.

Funny how alot of these books and things I held as relics growing up, had writers sounded like smurfs "Ooohhing and Ahhing" when pulled them out the stash, but now with the web, anyone can just google shit. I just found like 50 copies available online... Ain't that some shit.

yeah that style:writing from the underground is pure insanity. kind of hard to follow because half of it is in itilian, but still some real jems. anyone unsure on why the old shit is the best should cop that one. phase lays it down - fliks and knowledge.

yo pharaoh, you have a copy of that book - subway graffiti 1983 by thomas crist? shits in german and rediculiously hard to find.

yeah that style:writing from the underground is pure insanity. kind of hard to follow because half of it is in itilian, but still some real jems. anyone unsure on why the old shit is the best should cop that one. phase lays it down - fliks and knowledge.

yo pharaoh, you have a copy of that book - subway graffiti 1983 by thomas crist? shits in german and rediculiously hard to find.

shit if anyone knows where I can snag that book please hook a brother up...dang that has some of me and my homies in that..I never got a copy..i was overseas lol....

this shit is wack?

2much-1.jpg

you can burn this?

worm270s.jpg

butch.jpg

i dont think so buddy

and what about that crime in the city joint I just posted....wack?!

that falls into the 2% of stuff that is cool. that 3rd one is wack. yes. I'm not saying EVERYTHING is wack...but MOST of it is. that's just my opinion...i'm not hating on any one in particular.

"Hims" and I ran out a certain university's library with that gem in 93. Unfortunately it was just the 1 copy and it was his heist.

That book is crazy.. Wrek and Magoo come off with some nasty burners, VIC Crew, Poem, Mig and many others. i think Poem actually took the dude around for some of the flicks.

I was on another thread and they brought up some Dero silver, whether or not it was classified as a "burner" because it was a silver fill with red outline and that exploded into a war of words. Looking at this Skeme : it isn't wild, it isn't flooded in colors but I have to say that it is dope as fuck. This is something that the new jacks have to understand, just because I have twenty colors and designs doesn't classify it as a burner...

old school fool always

I respect the old school and know my history.....but 98% of this stuff is wack. I'm sorry. I don't buy into the whole "old school graffiti is the best"....that' s like saying that televisions in the 1950's are better than than the flat screen hd's we have now. when something is started ...it just gets better over time.

I didn't say this...someone hacked into my account recently and said that. I guess whoever did it is trying to make enemies for me. whatever. I now had to make a new screen name because of it. But the comment above is not me though.

I found this a few years ago in a crown heights salvation army.. 1972

Untitled-3.jpg

Untitled-2.jpg

Untitled-1.jpg

This was another one of my hidden hidden treasures... The text thoroughly investigates the origin, meaning and importance of nicknames, aliases, street names of kids in the mid 60's.

This is one of those books that had me mad hyped that I had joined the ranks of kids who wrote their name on shit.

Anyone remember the books FRESH, and HiP HOP: The Illustrated History of Breakdancing, Graffiti and Rap Music?

From ages 12-14 I was lucky enough to stumble upon all these books on my obsessive graff archeological missions. Reading some of the History and Sociolgical analysis written by educated adults of the time made me feel that Graff was deeper than "just writing my name". It made me respect the craft much more and strive that much harder to excell.

Back then there was very little in terms of reading material available, and writers started mad younger, but somehow we understood, appreciated and were inspired by HISTORY. Maybe it's because it was fun and interseting to go home and read about the thing you spent all day doing.

Compared to the toys of today, who start writing at an older age so they should be able to reason better the idea of Time, Space and Relativity, and have TONS and TONS of reference material available to research, yet they still remain deaf, dumb and blind, make retarded comments on public forums, and think they are kings while they continue to put up their slop in the streets, legal and illegal.

I just don't get it, I knew the human race had been De-volving since the fall of Egypt, Greece and Rome, but damn, today's young writers are racing to be the 1st to reach the all time low.

It reminds me of one time that a bunch of guys were breaking in the street and we were explaining to a young b-boy that he was dancing way off beat. he didnt wanna hear it, so i turned off the boombox and he just kept breaking with no music. The whole circle started to laugh at the kid and then he screamed in frustation "I DON'T GIVE A FUCK ABOUT THE BEAT"!!! Right there everyone knew that the new jack generation was not worthy of carrying the torch, and that's exactly whats happening in Graff now.

One good thing about the internet:

Golden Boy as Anthony Cool is easy to find now.

That "Hip Hop: Illustrated History....." is out of print and goes for $200+ sometimes...

Word, mad cheap too! Someone should buy every copy on amazon and distribute to the toys it like the jehova witness do with their shit.

Damn, you wasn't kidding about Hip Hop: The Illustrated history...!!

One good thing about the internet:

Golden Boy as Anthony Cool is easy to find now.

That "Hip Hop: Illustrated History....." is out of print and goes for $200+ sometimes...

i racked that book out of a library 15 years ago. along w/ subway art and the faith of graffiti.

i opened up a window and tossed them out because of the alarm strip in them.

The History of writing was always 1/2 of it for me. Not hailing from Ny had to make me strive that much harder to learn everything i could about it. And the history of writing in my own city which had been going on prior to the books and movies of the early mid 80s'.

This was another one of my hidden hidden treasures... The text thoroughly investigates the origin, meaning and importance of nicknames, aliases, street names of kids in the mid 60's.

This is one of those books that had me mad hyped that I had joined the ranks of kids who wrote their name on shit.

Anyone remember the books FRESH, and HiP HOP: The Illustrated History of Breakdancing, Graffiti and Rap Music?

From ages 12-14 I was lucky enough to stumble upon all these books on my obsessive graff archeological missions. Reading some of the History and Sociolgical analysis written by educated adults of the time made me feel that Graff was deeper than "just writing my name". It made me respect the craft much more and strive that much harder to excell.

Back then there was very little in terms of reading material available, and writers started mad younger, but somehow we understood, appreciated and were inspired by HISTORY. Maybe it's because it was fun and interseting to go home and read about the thing you spent all day doing.

Compared to the toys of today, who start writing at an older age so they should be able to reason better the idea of Time, Space and Relativity, and have TONS and TONS of reference material available to research, yet they still remain deaf, dumb and blind, make retarded comments on public forums, and think they are kings while they continue to put up their slop in the streets, legal and illegal.

I just don't get it, I knew the human race had been De-volving since the fall of Egypt, Greece and Rome, but damn, today's young writers are racing to be the 1st to reach the all time low.

It reminds me of one time that a bunch of guys were breaking in the street and we were explaining to a young b-boy that he was dancing way off beat. he didnt wanna hear it, so i turned off the boombox and he just kept breaking with no music. The whole circle started to laugh at the kid and then he screamed in frustation "I DON'T GIVE A FUCK ABOUT THE BEAT"!!! Right there everyone knew that the new jack generation was not worthy of carrying the torch, and that's exactly whats happening in Graff now.

this is a great example of all the stuff i feel privelaged to read in this thread. this IS the best thread in the 12.

ps. i'm super-excited because i just found and ordered that 1974 esquire with the norman mailer article!

>Compared to the toys of today, who start writing at an older age so they should be able to >reason better the idea of Time, Space and Relativity, and have TONS and TONS of >reference material available to research, yet they still remain deaf, dumb and blind, make >retarded comments on public forums, and think they are kings while they continue to put >up their slop in the streets, legal and illegal

WORDS OF WISDOM

:jpotato:

Archived