Wash.DC A.U.P. The Last Few Years

Guest Funk~That

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest optimo

went to the wall of fame a couple of days ago...... almost had a fucking orgasm. theres some true shit under there. then i had a discussion with my friend about it and he called it gay, washed up and i told him it was history. hes too scared to paint it. whatever

• 5 months later...

i never saw this thread before so i have a little catching up to do...

1. aup was a crew as far as i know, w/ cycle and others... but i never saw anybody really pushing it... i dont remember cuz i didnt hang out w/ those kids at the time... and no way was it one of dc's first crews... kgb was the first, w/ lots of others that followed...

2. free agents is not intentionally one-sided... roger asked a lot of people for input and only some got back w/ him... i know somebody from my crew who was destroying dc was cram and he's hardly mentioned in the book because he kept forgetting to get back w/ roger...

3. castone was, is and always be the sh!t... if he was here dc's scene would be totally different...

4. sire and stren definitely did not run dc at any time... they had ups but rarely went into the hood (they werent from dc) and a very primitive style at best... i was cool w/ them, particularly stren, who used to come by my crib when i lived on 13th street...

i am trying to start an online dc wall of fame... check it out at: http://downbylaw.biz/flix/wdcmaowof.html

and yes i use a lot of other people's flix but most of this stuff is gone now so we've got to cooperate... i know i never used to take flix and i really regret it now... a lot of flix i have of my own sh!t is taken by other people...

Guest HSKillers
Originally posted by downbylaw

4. sire and stren definitely did not run dc at any time... they had ups but rarely went into the hood (they werent from dc) and a very primitive style at best... i was cool w/ them, particularly stren, who used to come by my crib when i lived on 13th street...

Now I wasnt around when u were writing but how can you say they rarely went into the hood, when there still up more now than the majority of older DC writers. They still have tags on all the major streets and they are the only writers that still have street fills running after all those years. Im not exactly sure what you mean by the hood, but if ur talking about anywhere outside NW and a bit of NE, really no one has gotten up there and its a damn shame. No disrespect, just think there truly under rated and not exactly sure what you would consider the hood, since from what Ive seen they seem to have gotten down a lot where all the other DC writers have tended to stick to.........

Originally posted by HSKillers

Now I wasnt around when u were writing but how can you say they rarely went into the hood, when there still up more now than the majority of older DC writers. They still have tags on all the major streets and they are the only writers that still have street fills running after all those years. Im not exactly sure what you mean by the hood, but if ur talking about anywhere outside NW and a bit of NE, really no one has gotten up there and its a damn shame. No disrespect, just think there truly under rated and not exactly sure what you would consider the hood, since from what Ive seen they seem to have gotten down a lot where all the other DC writers have tended to stick to.........

well, im from dc, particularly columbia rd. and shaw in nw, ive lived there all my life since birth, so i rep where im from... and they never came into where i lived and walked everyday... no offence to them because a lot of "older DC writers" didn't come into the hood either. (not that that makes or breaks a writer)... on the other hand they could have a million fill-ins and tags and they never progressed in style and therefore got no respect from a lot who were trying to progress... again im cool w/ them and i am not saying something here i wouldnt say to their face (and probably have said to their face)... now, we have to define dc writer as someone who is from dc or lives there and represents the city... -80's writers: myself: ultra, seven, e.t., ser, rek, kaz, disco dan, whats up woody, e.k. wayne, go-go half-pint, go-go ninja... -90's writers: cast, cram, budda, read, cycle, geez, scope/demon, mouse, faser... and dc metro area writer is people who live outside dc but bomb there regularly: smk, cert, clear, ever, exakto... i think its hard to dissect how things went down 10 years ago by who you see still up... i know me and cast were bombing georgia ave and other parts of shaw and nw way before anyone else... i know me and e.t. were bombing columbia rd way before anyone else (most writers werent even born when we were bombing) so believe me i know how it was: sire and stren bombed hard for a while but gained little respect from their counterparts due to lack of style and ghetto fame... but god bless 'em for trying...

Guest HSKillers

sire and stren bombed hard for a while but gained little respect from their counterparts due to lack of style and ghetto fame... but god bless 'em for trying...

I obviously understand how you could say they had a lack of style. But at the same time I dont understand how you could say they dont have "ghetto fame" when no one except maybe a couple people have ventured into the real tough parts of DC to get up. Probably 90% of DC graff is in NW wich means there a goo 3 quaters of the city which has probably never been touched, yet is perfect for graff.

Guest HSKillers
Originally posted by SleepAnDream

then grace it with your presence. show em how it should be done.;)

I have started and hopefully will continue to.......

2(theNOVA),, 53,, BRA,, RECOLLECT FOR A MIN, YOUR GONNA HAVE THE HEART TO SAY THAT SIME SHOULDNT GET ANY RECOGNITION FOR ANYTHING HE DID WHICH IS NOTHING FROM OUT YA MOUTH,, AND THE FIFTYTHREE RAN DC HUH,,,,,, WHY DONT YOU TELL CATS THE REAL STORY, WRITE THIS IN YA LIL PUNKASS PUBLICATION, HOW YOU AND I MET AT AUP BACK WHEN I WAS PAINTIN DOLO. THEN HOW WE EVEN PAINTED TOGETHER IN 96 IN CHINATOWN,,,, AND A FEW YEARS PAST AND YOUR STILL SALTY CAUSE YOU GOT DISSED ON YA OWN WALL(PRODUCTION) BY MY CREW,,, WELL HERES MY SIDE OF THE STORY, THIS IS WHY SIME OR ANY OTHER DOTCOM KIDS EXCEPT FOR REI AND ENVY WONT BE IN YA MAG,,, FOR THE PEOPLE THAT NEVER HEARD,, SCAN INVITED DEMONSIMEDEOS TO DO A WALL BACK IN THE DAY,, AND WE STARTED IT,,,, WENT TO NY FOR ROCKSTEADYJAM,, SAW SCAN UP THERE,, AND YOU CRIED LIKE A BITCH ABOUT FINISHING THAT WALL,, SAYIN SHIT LIKE WE SHOULDNT BE PAINTING ANYTHING ELSE UNTILL WE FINISH UP YOUR LEGAL WALL,,,, SO YOUR RIGHT,, YOU GOT DISSED,, "DOTCOM,BLOWING CRYBABIES OUT OF ORBIT" WAS WROTE,,,,,,,, AND YOUR GONNA HOLD A 10 YR BEEF ON ME BECAUSE OF IT,,, BECAUSE OF YOUR MOUTH,, YOU COULDVE SHUT YA MOUTH N EVERYTHING WOULDVE BEEN FINE,, NOW THAT YOU HAVE ALTERED A FEW CATS INTERPRETATIONS OF ME(ELK, ITS A SHAME YOU EVEN GOTTA TAKE A SIDE BRO) AND STILL TRYIN TO CONVINCE OTHER CATS NOT TO BE DOWN WITH ME N THE CREW,, THIS IS YOUR SHADINESS BRO, YOU CAN ASK THE OTHER TWO, AND THEYLL TELL YOU THE SAME,, IVE DROPPED THAT BEEF AWHILE AGO,, AND NOW IM ON HERE READIN MY NAME OUT OF YOUR MOUTH IN A NEGATIVE WAY, WHAT TO DO? THE BEEF IS DEAD SCAN,, UNTILL I SEE MY NAME OR HERE MY NAME OUT OF YOUR MOUTH, OR ANY OF YA LIL CREWS MOUTHS.... AND IF YOUR SO PRESSED TO TALK SHIT,, THEN GET MY NUMBER.. AND QUIT BEING A LIL PUSSY AND SAY ALL THIS BULLSHIT TO MY OWN EAR OR IN MY FACE................. A PEACEFUL SOLUTION WOULD BE NICE,, IF NOT,, YAFUCKED

Originally posted by HSKillers

But at the same time I dont understand how you could say they dont have "ghetto fame" when no one except maybe a couple people have ventured into the real tough parts of DC to get up. Probably 90% of DC graff is in NW wich means there a goo 3 quaters of the city which has probably never been touched, yet is perfect for graff.

there's a difference between "ghetto fame" (what i was out for) and "writer fame"... ghetto fame means that to this day i can go places and talk to dudes who know nothing about graf politics and still be recognized... i was in lorton 3 yrs and i cant tell you how many dudes where like: " ultra, i used to see you all over the street..." besides the fact that sire and stren wouldnt have lasted 10 minutes in lorton, i guarantee cats wouldnt recognize their names for anything... no big deal, thats just the way it is... now that ive said all that... recognize that i cant sell my "ghetto fame" by the gram... it will not feed my 5 kids... sire and stren took their thing and are doing it big... and i have mad respect for that... now im trying to do my thing...

now the nw vs se thing: first of all im bombing my hood... thats where i came up at and thats what i know... ive bombed in ne, se and sw, also md, baltimore, va, and nyc... i guarantee 99.9% of writers who are bombing se arent even from dc... im glad theyre bombing but thats not what i started bombing for...

its funny i originally commented on this because someone said sire and stren were running dc in the early 90's and so far no one's proven me wrong... sire and stren didnt even appear on the scene till like 94-95... if anyone was running dc in the very early 90's it was cycle, read, dah and cool disco dan and after about 93 it was ultra, cast and cram until 98...

for those who would like to see me stop talking and start rocking... im on fed paper right now... but my day is coming....

• 2 weeks later...

and now that i think about it i was catching tags in se (my girl lived there) and riding the 30 buses in 83-84... where were you or sire or stren in 83-84? you cant tell me who was up x amount of years ago by whats up now... i remember cats who running dc in the 80s whom youve never even heard about not even in clear's book... go go ninja, go go half-pint, whats up woody, seven, exotic touch... before 84 i was wrecking sh!t as HOBO... i know a guy the police arrested 3 times on suspicion that he was HOBO... and believe me graf was very different then... no suburban kid could come and bomb any part of dc let alone se or 14th st or georgia ave... and believe me im not bragging, im just telling you how sh!t was for real... thats how us old dc writers got our rep... we ran the streets, doing dirt, trying to get ghetto fame... all this graffiti art stuff came later... but all that is gone...

i think the most important lesson any artist can learn is that art isnt meant to be permanent... arts #1 job is self-expression... i saw a movie about an artist who couldnt finish a painting until he started burning them in a furnace... this taught him the important thing was to express himself in the moment and forget about whether his art would last... so dont think that your graf is even going to last a year...

there's a difference between "ghetto fame" (what i was out for) and "writer fame"... ghetto fame means that to this day i can go places and talk to dudes who know nothing about graf politics and still be recognized... i was in lorton 3 yrs and i cant tell you how many dudes where like: " ultra, i used to see you all over the street..." besides the fact that sire and stren wouldnt have lasted 10 minutes in lorton, i guarantee cats wouldnt recognize their names for anything... no big deal, thats just the way it is... now that ive said all that... recognize that i cant sell my "ghetto fame" by the gram... it will not feed my 5 kids... sire and stren took their thing and are doing it big... and i have mad respect for that... now im trying to do my thing...

now the nw vs se thing: first of all im bombing my hood... thats where i came up at and thats what i know... ive bombed in ne, se and sw, also md, baltimore, va, and nyc... i guarantee 99.9% of writers who are bombing se arent even from dc... im glad theyre bombing but thats not what i started bombing for...

its funny i originally commented on this because someone said sire and stren were running dc in the early 90's and so far no one's proven me wrong... sire and stren didnt even appear on the scene till like 94-95... if anyone was running dc in the very early 90's it was cycle, read, dah and cool disco dan and after about 93 it was ultra, cast and cram until 98...

for those who would like to see me stop talking and start rocking... im on fed paper right now... but my day is coming....

First off downbylaw, I know who you are and we have close mutual friends. I saw you up when I was first started writing. I know it's been a minute for you, but don't let this internet shit get you in a huff. Sire and Stren have never been up on this shit so slow the roll on them man cause they did the dirt. Kids are getting you pressed over nothing. Anything said is not from them. See you friday.

recognize that i cant sell my "ghetto fame" by the gram... it will not feed my 5 kids... sire and stren took their thing and are doing it big... and i have mad respect for that... its funny i originally commented on this because someone said sire and stren were running dc in the early 90's and so far no one's proven me wrong...

again mad respect to sire and stren... they did their sh1t, their way... my response isnt directed at them, but at some comments that i read on this string... and again, i can talk much sh1t about all my fame and it still wont pay my bills, and thats real...

Originally posted by Fox Mulder

does anyone know if there is an age limit on the career day thing at moca dc? or how much it is to get in? i checked their website but it didn't say anything

no age limit... its an art gallery not a nightclub... besides most of the action is outside, its kinda tight inside moca

• 2 weeks later...

Beleavs is hot....Worst spok ever....Anyway some of that wall been redone....Here some flicks of that and another thing(Note theres also an elk and Mpower on the wall but the flics came out to dark......http://www.fotango.com/p/eba00303266f00000020.jpg'> Belev and work...sorry didnt know flick was so terrible

http://www.fotango.com/p/eba00303266f00000021.jpg'> Spok next to an old school geofhttp://www.fotango.com/p/eba00303266f00000023.jpg'>ITS ALL OVER http://www.fotango.com/p/eba00303266f00000026.jpg'> GeofROCKShttp://www.fotango.com/p/eba00303266f00000019.jpg'>

• 4 months later...

Archived