<<< 12Oz Computer Tech Support SuperThread >>>

Mainter

Re: «<< 12Oz Computer Tech Support >>>

haha, i'm afraid that some apps i use won't work.

3d studio max, photoshop cs II, etc. those are the important apps.

yes both of them programs will work any big image software like that is covered now

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

As reported here and here, Canadian artists such as Barenaked Ladies, Avril Lavigne, Sarah McLachlan, Chantal Kreviazuk, Sum 41, Stars, Raine Maida (Our Lady Peace), Dave Bidini (Rheostatics), Billy Talent, John K. Samson (Weakerthans), Broken Social Scene, Sloan, Andrew Cash and Bob Wiseman, have formed a new Canadian Music Creators Coalition (CMCC). They are speaking out against the same entertainment industry associations such as the RIAA and CRIA, who claims to represent artist rights. Stop the piracy! Feed the artists! Apparently that's not the case according to the CRIA's own study. Talk about irony.

The CMCC outlines 3 interesting points in their stance:

Canadian Music Creators Coalition wrote: 1. Suing Our Fans is Destructive and Hypocritical

Artists do not want to sue music fans. The labels have been suing our fans against our will, and laws enabling these suits cannot be justified in our names. We oppose any copyright reforms that would make it easier for record companies to do this. The government should repeal provisions of the Copyright Act that allow labels to unfairly punish fans who share music for non-commercial purposes with statutory damages of $500 to $20,000 per song.

2. Digital Locks are Risky and Counterproductive

Artists do not support using digital locks to increase the labels’ control over the distribution, use and enjoyment of music or laws that prohibit circumvention of such technological measures. The government should not blindly implement decade-old treaties designed to give control to major labels and take choices away from artists and consumers. Laws should protect artists and consumers, not restrictive technologies. Consumers should be able to transfer the music they buy to other formats under a right of fair use, without having to pay twice.

3. Cultural Policy Should Support Actual Canadian Artists

The vast majority of new Canadian music is not promoted by major labels, which focus mostly on foreign artists. The government should use other policy tools to support actual Canadian artists and a thriving musical and cultural scene. The government should make a long-term commitment to grow support mechanisms like the Canada Music Fund and FACTOR, invest in music training and education, create limited tax shelters for copyright royalties, protect artists from inequalities in bargaining power and make collecting societies more transparent.

In france, non-commercial uploading and downloading on P2P networks are ruled to be legal. And Band sells 120,000 copies of album thanks to online downloading, consistent with the CRIA's study showing no link of P2P as the cause for dwindling music sales.

However, to be fair, the internet and P2P networks does present a new kind of sharing on a global scale, that was never possible before between friends on restriction of geography. But DRM is clearly not the answer, as locks do not stop real theives, it only inconvenience casual internet users like you, who would pay directly to support artists if it's convenient and the price is fair. So I see a middle ground, to remove this last "mass piracy" argument: watermarks. And my question for you is this:

If you are paying, at a fair price, for downloaded digital media in support of musicians and other content producers, would you allow watermarks that can trace back to you, should the file you purchased be traded openly on P2P networks? Such watermarked files would be completely DRM-free, with freedom to be played on any device and traded to friends, in a number within reason. If you are an artist, is this even a concern for you, that your works are traded on global P2P networks that would not directly support you financially? If you are a consumer and a fan, do you care?

Ok, that's more than one question. This announcement has a poll attached, vote and discuss below. I and developers here at isoHunt Inc. really would like to know what you think, fans and artists alike. Perhaps, we can also come to a common ground with the MPAA, despite their pending lawsuit against us. We can hope.

Im moving my ass to Canada for various reasons

absolutely gorgeous.

ok, mainter

i do need a second opinion. you're familiar with my what my system is?

amd 64 palermo 1.6ghz oc'ed to 1.9 currently

1.25 gigs of ddr 3200 ram

ati radeon 9250

soundblaster live 24 bit

80 gig hd

linksys wmp545g (wireless pci card)

is winblows 64 bit worth putting on my system>? is it really worth it?

I'll put that bitch on my system any day of the week..

Casek..I generally stay the fuck out of these threads, but I would say that you would probably want a little higher processing speed 3.0ghz+, but that's my personal opinion..

clue: no doubt. i would love a bigger processor.

sadly though, i've got expenses (and habits)

that keep from being able to make a purchase

that i would like to make. i'll wait until these dual cores

get a little bit cheaper, and then go for that whole

water cooled hoodely hoo. (brak references are included

in todays computer thread free of charge)

brak.gif

windows worms door cleaner. run this people

http://www.firewallleaktester.com/tools/wwdc.exe

Guest R@ndomH3ro

get rid of the annoying windows genuine advantage thing

http://download.yousendit.com/4A1A7C6065959974

has been scanned and tested.ks and it's clean of virii

How do you work it? I ran it and it said it was patched, I restarted the computer but its still Windows genuine is still there, does it need to be in a certain directory?

that's actually why I asked for XP..This girl I know is having problems and the only reason she could give me was, "My friend came over and installed a bad copy of windows"..So I was guessing this is actually her problem and would be a LOT easier to fix..

I really don't know much about her machine and I'm not looking forward to a night of installing drivers and software updates..

here ya go kids. and i don't even have to type. lazy mans dream

Trouble shooting cd rom vanishing

Click on START button, the click on RUN

2. Enter REGEDIT and press enter

3. When REGEDIT starts, open up the following folders

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE

SYSTEM

CurrentControlSet

Control

Class

{4D36E965-E325 -11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}

4. After clicking on {4D36E965-E325 -11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318} you should see two settings on the right-hand side:

"Upperfilters"

"Lowerfilters"

Click on each of them, press DELETE and click YES.

Then close REGEDIT, shutdown & restart your PC

How to format hard drive under WinXP

There are several ways to format in XP:

1 During install

2. Using Diskmanagement under administrative tools

3. Using the recovery console

4. Using start run cmd then the format command.

5. Right click on the drive in explorer and select format.

6. Using a Win98 boot disk

Note: WinXP will not let you mess with the boot partition or system partition since both contain items required to boot and run winXP. Thus, you should use the install process to format system and boot drive.

How to creat partion using Fdisk

Easiest way to perform a "Clean Install" of XP:

Using Windows XP CD:

Insert your XP CD in the drive while running your current installation of XP.

You will be given some options here. You can select:

Clean Install

New Installation

Advanced

...and others I believe. But since this tutorial teaches a Clean Installation of XP, select "Clean Install".

Put a checkmark in the box to "designate where you want to install XP" (or some such dialog). Typically, you will choose to install XP on your C: drive.

Next, you will need to select the file system you wish to use. I recommend selecting NTFS as it is more sucure than the FAT32 system.

Setup will then format the partition you chose and then you can install XP clean on that partition. Be sure that if you have more than one partition, you select the correct one.

Install your Windows XP Operating System.

Using Windows 98 Boot Disk:

Get yourself a Windows 98 boot-diskette with fdisk. Delete all partitions and THEN boot from the CD. If XP's setup finds formatted partitions, it proceeds without user intervention. If it doesn't find any, setup will prompt you for partitioning and formatting.

Using Floppy Drive:

If you are not able to boot from your CD-ROM, try changing the boot order in your BIOS so that your CD-ROM boots first. If you happen to have a machine that doesn't offer a bootable CD-ROM, you can create the 6 boot discs (below) to allow booting from your Floppy drive.

Windows XP Professional Utility: Setup Disks for floppy boot install

(requires 6 floppies)

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/release.asp?ReleaseID=33291

Windows XP Home Edition Utility: Setup Disks for floppy boot install

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/release.asp?ReleaseID=33290

Error message" Unmountable boot volume".

When booting up to Windows XP you may get an error that reads: "Unmountable Boot Volume".

This is probably because your boot.ini file is messed up. Here is a possible remedy:

You can boot to the XP cd and when you see the "Welcome to setup" message, press the letter R.

You will then get a DOS prompt.

Then type: chkdsk /p [enter]

When that is done type: fixboot [enter]

Type: Y at the next prompt [enter]

Then type: exit [enter]

The system will now reboot into Windows.

If for some reason that didn't work, you can boot to the recovery console (example above).

Type: "chkdsk /r" [enter]

When done type: exit [enter].

This takes a bit longer, but the system should boot back into Windows.

Restoring Access to CD-ROMs

If after you remove CD Burning software, you can no longer access your CD ROM's, the following registry keys need to be deleted:

Locate and delete the UpperFilters and LowerFilters values under the following key in the registry: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM \CurrentControlSet\ Control\Class\{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}

Passwords Not Saved in Outlook/Outlook Express

No matter how many times you check the Remember Password box, Outlook/Outlook Express will refuse to save passwords for your account(s). To fix:

Go to Start >> Run >> Type in: Regedit

Navigate to: HKEY_CURRENT_USER >> Software >> Microsoft >> Protected Storage System Provider

Right-click the Protected Storage System Provider key, and from the menu choose Permissions

On the Security tab, press the Advanced button

On the Permissions tab, select the Replace permission entries on all child objects with entries shown here that apply to child objects check box. Click Apply, and then click Yes on the Security warning dialog

In the Name column, ensure that the user currently logged on has Full Control access. Click OK. The following message appears:

Do you want to replace the permission on all existing subkeys within Protected Storage System Provider?

Click Yes

Double-click the Protected Storage System Provider key to expand the key, click the user subkey folder that is directly below the Protected Storage System Provider key, click Delete on the Edit menu, and then click Yes in the warning message dialog box

The user subkey folder looks similar to the following example:

S-1-5-21-789336058-2025429265-1801674531-1003

Note: For every identity that you have, there may be a subkey under the Protected Storage System Provider key. To resolve this issue in all of your identities, you must delete all of the user subkeys folders under the Protected Storage System Provider key.

Close the registry editor

Log restart Windows for the changes to take effect

The next time you start your e-mail program, enter the password when prompted and select Remember Password. This should now be retained.

Error that NTLDR is not found during bootup

If you have FAT32 partitions, it is much simpler than with NTFS.

Just boot with a Win98 floppy and copy the NTLDR or NTDETECT.COM files

from the i386 directory to the root of the C:\ drive.

For NTFS:

Insert and boot from your WindowsXP CD.

At the first R=Repair option, press the R key

Press the number that corresponds to the correct location for the installation of Windows you want to repair.

Typically this will be #1

Enter in the administrator password when requested

Enter in the following commands (X: is replaced by the actual drive letter that is assigned to the CD ROM drive.

COPY X:\i386\NTLDR C\:

COPY X:\i386\NTDETECT.COM C:\

Take out the CD ROM and type exit

NTOSKRNL Missing or Corrupt

If you get an error that NTOSKRNL not found:

Press the number that corresponds to the correct location for the installation of Windows you want to repair.

Change to the drive that has the CD ROM.

CD i386

expand ntkrnlmp.ex_ C:\Windows\System32\ntoskrnl.exe

If WindowsXP is installed in a different location, just make the necessary change to C:\Windows

HAL.DLL Missing or Corrupt

If you get an error regarding a missing or corrupt hal.dll file, it might simply be the BOOT.INI file on the root of the C: drive that is misconfigured

Type bootcfg /list to show the current entries in the BOOT.INI file

Type bootcfg /rebuild to repair it

Corrupted or Missing \WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\CONFIG

If you get the error:

Windows could not start because the following files is missing or corrupt

\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\CONFIG\SYSTEM or \WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\CONFIG\SOFTWARE

Enter in the administrator password when requested

cd \windows\system32\config

Depending on which section was corrupted:

ren software software.bad or ren system system.bad

Depending on which section was corrupted

copy \windows\repair\system

copy \windows\repair\software

Dell Computer Not Keeping Correct Time

If your Dell computer is loosing time while the computer is turned on, You can run the following commands:

Start >> Run >> CMD Net stop w32time w32tm >> unregister w32tm >> unregister w32tm >> register Net start w32time

You can also download a Dell Patch to do the same process automatically

Can't save .Gif or Jpeg files when right clicked.

This apparently happens when your IE Temporary Internet Files cache becomes stuffed. In IE, go to Tools >> Internet Options and on the "General" tab click the button marked "Delete Files" under the heading "Temporary Internet Files".

Another possibility:

If you are on AOL: under AOL settings, click on Internet Web Options. From there click on Browser Options. Lastly, Click on "Never compress graphics"

NTLDR is Missing.

Related errors:

Below are the full error messages that may be seen when the computer is booting.

NTLDR is Missing

Press any key to restart

Boot: Couldn't find NTLDR

Please insert another disk

Cause:

Computer is booting from a non-bootable source.

Computer hard disk drive is not properly setup in BIOS.

Corrupt NTLDR and/or NTDETECT.COM file.

Misconfiguration with the boot.ini file.

Attempting to upgrade from a Windows 95, 98, or ME computer that is using FAT32.

Seriously corrupted version of Windows 2000 or Windows XP.

Loose or Faulty IDE/EIDE hard disk drive cable.

Solutions:

Computer is booting from a non-bootable source

Many times this error is caused when the computer is attempting to boot from a non-bootable floppy disk or CD-ROM. First verify that no floppy diskette is in the computer, unless you are attempting to boot from a diskette.

If you are attempting to boot from a floppy diskette and are receiving this error message it is likely that the diskette does not have all the necessary files and/or is corrupt.

If you are attempting to install Windows XP or Windows 2000 and are receiving this error message as the computer is booting verify that your computer BIOS has the proper boot settings. For example, if you are attempting to run the install from the CD-ROM make sure the CD-ROM is the first boot device, and not the hard disk drive.

Computer hard disk drive is not properly setup in BIOS.

Verify that your computer hard disk drive is properly setup in the BIOS / CMOS setup. Improper settings can cause this error. Additional information on how to enter the BIOS / CMOS setup can be found in document CH000192.

Corrupt NTLDR and/or NTDETECT.COM file

Windows 2000 users

Windows XP users

Windows 2000 users

If your computer is using Microsoft Windows 2000 and you are encountering the NTLDR error. Create the below boot.ini file on the floppy diskette drive.

[boot loader]

timeout=30

default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINNT

[operating systems]

multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINNT="Microsoft Windows 2000 Professional" /fastdetect

Copy the NTLDR and NTDETECT.COM files from another computer using the same Operating System. Both of these files are located in the root directory of the primary hard Disk drive. For example C:\NTLDR and C:\NTDETECT.COM should be the locations of these files on many computers.

Please keep in mind that these files are hidden system files, if you need additional help with viewing hidden files in Windows please see document CH000516.

Once these files have been copied to a floppy diskette reboot the computer and copy the NTLDR and NTDETECT.COM files to the root directory of the primary hard disk drive. Below is an example of what commonly should be performed from the A:\> drive.

copy ntldr c:

copy ntdetect.com c:

After the above two files have been copied, remove the floppy diskette and reboot the Computer.

Windows XP users

Insert the Windows XP bootable CD into the computer.

When prompted to press any key to boot from the CD, press any key.

Once in the Windows XP setup menu press the "R" key to repair Windows.

You will then be prompted for your administrator password, enter that password.

Copy the below two files to the root directory of the primary hard disk. In the below example we are copying these files from the CD-ROM drive letter "E". This letter may be different on your computer.

copy e:\i386\ntldr c:

copy ntdetect.com c:

Once both of these files have been successfully copied, remove the CD from the computer and reboot.

Misconfiguration with the boot.ini file

Edit the boot.ini on the root directory of the hard disk drive and verify that it is pointing to the correct location of your Windows Operating System and that the partitions are properly defined. Additional information about the boot.ini can be found on document CH000492.

Attempting to upgrade from a Windows 95, 98, or ME computer that is using FAT32 If you are getting this error message while you are attempting to upgrade to Windows 2000 or Windows XP from Windows 95, Windows 98, or Windows ME running FAT32 please try the following recommendations.

Boot the computer with a Windows 95, Windows 98 or Windows ME bootable diskette.

At the A:\> prompt type:

sys c:

After pressing enter you should receive the "System Transferred" message. Once this has been completed remove the floppy diskette and reboot the computer.

Seriously corrupted version of Windows 2000 or Windows XPIf you have tried each of the above recommendations that apply to your situation and you continue to experience this issue it is possible you may have a seriously corrupted version of Microsoft Windows. Therefore we would recommend you reinstall Microsoft Windows 2000 and Windows XP.

If you are encountering this issue during your setup you may wish to completely erase your computer hard disk drive and all of its existing data and then install Microsoft Windows 2000 / Windows XP.

Loose or Faulty IDE/EIDE hard disk drive cable

This issue has been known to be caused by a loose or fault IDE/EIDE cable. If the above recommendation does not resolve your issue and your computer hard disk drive is using a IDE or EIDE interface. Verify the computer hard disk drive cable is firmly connected by disconnected and reconnecting the cable.

If the issue continues it is also a possibility that the computer has a faulty cable, try replacing the hard disk drive cable with another cable and/or a new cable