<<< 12Oz Computer Tech Support SuperThread >>>

Mainter

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

Re: «<< 12Oz Computer Tech Support >>>

Tip # who the hell knows anymore?

Forward Slash Backslash

Forward slash is /, and backslash is \. I remember that the name tells me in which direction the top of the slash points. Forward slashes tell your computer you're looking for something external to your system, like web pages. Backslashes tell your computer you're looking for something inside your system, like a drive or a file.

blah blah blah read if you are bored

i was gonna read a whitepaper but they are just to damn long so i am going to give you kids this so you can enjoy reading too

Troubleshooting

What does the word troubleshoot mean? You've probably heard it mostly in relation to computers, right? If you ever run into a problem with your computer, you're always told to first do some troubleshooting. But, what does it mean exactly? How are you supposed to know what to do?

Well, troubleshooting simply means isolating the problem that you are experiencing so you can work toward fixing it completely. Also, troubleshooting is mostly a process of elimination and it can often be going on a whim and just guessing what's wrong.

When you're having a problem with something within your system, you should first figure out where the problem lies and compile some possible reasons why it's happening. You should then investigate your reasons, starting with the most obvious or the most easiest to fix. Troubleshooting usually refers to a hardware problem (whereas debugging is related to software problems).

Let's say you've been having problems with your mouse. It basically just quit working as well as it usually does. So, what could be the problem? Well, to solve the issue, just start troubleshooting. The most obvious reason (to me, anyway) would be that it might just be a little dirty and it needs cleaned out. Another possible reason could be that the cord got a little loose and it just needs pushed back in. Or it could be a power problem or the mouse could just be dead (hopefully that's not the case, but it does happen!) Now, start from the beginning. Clean out your mouse and if that doesn't help, try the next troubleshoot option. You'll eventually figure out what's wrong and be able to fix it.

If you ever have a problem that runs past any troubleshooting you can do, there's always technical support from the manufacturers of the product. But, you should always try to fix the problems yourself first.

to all the end users out there

Are You an End User?

You probably hear that term all the time. I know we use it in our articles quite a bit. So, have you ever wondered what it actually means? You might have an idea, but would you like a more based definition of the term? If so, keep reading!

An end user is basically anyone who a software program or a hardware piece is created for. In other words, it's any user of computer products. In even less words, it's you! You are a consumer and these products are made for people like you to buy them and use them. The term is based on an "end goal" with the end goal being that the consumer likes the product and that it is useful for them.

End users are put into different categories than the installers, administrators, the developers and the programmers. They create programs and other devices to be tested, marketed, installed, etc. Then consumers like you are able to use them and you help them reach their full potential. You also help troubleshoot the products by calling tech support and asking about certain things that aren't working. This helps the programmers and everyone else involved to discard any bugs or mistakes that may lie in the item.

Don't you feel special now, knowing that you, an end user, does all that?! : )

More on BIOS

We have explained BIOS to you in the past, but I've gotten some e-mails from people wondering more about BIOS, so here you go!

As stated in our other tip, BIOS stands for Basic Input/Output System. It is a program that comes preinstalled on computers that are Windows compatible. It does not come with Macs. BIOS is basically the program that your computer uses to start each time you boot up.

Your CPU (central processing unit) connects with the BIOS even before the operating system is completely loaded. It then proceeds to check your hardware connections and checks to make sure all of your devices, etc. are working correctly. If everything is in ship shape condition, the BIOS finishes loading your operating system and your computer is able to finish the start up process.

The BIOS are located in an erasable programmable read only memory chip (EPROM), which coincides with the ROM (read only memory) area of your computer. This chip works with your CPU and gives control to the BIOS to make your computer function.

Along with helping your computer to start, the BIOS are still used even after all of the booting up is done. It serves as a medium between your CPU and the input/output devices within your system. The BIOS keeps your operating system from having to know even more information, such as hardware addresses about the other devices. The BIOS takes care of all of that.

Most people do not need to worry about their BIOS, but if changes ever need to be made, you can access the BIOS while your system is starting up by holding down any key (usually the Delete key) as soon as your computer starts to boot up.

Q:

It seems that every computer term has an acronym to go along with it and half the time, I have no idea what it means. Can you help by giving me some examples?

A:

Sure, that's no problem. There are tons of terms that usually only go by certain letters and it can be hard to keep them all straight. There are obviously too many to put into one tip, so below is a list of some of the more common used acronyms, along with their real meanings.

ATA - Advanced Technology Attachment

ATM - Asynchronous Transfer Mode

BIOS - Basic Input/Output System

BMP - Bitmap

CD - Compact Disc

CGI - Common Gateway Interface

CPU - Central Processing Unit

DBMS - Database Management System

DLL - Dynamic Link Library

DNS - Domain Name System

DSL - Digital Subscriber Line

DVD - Digital Versatile Disc

FTP - File Transfer Protocol

JPEG - Joint Photographic Experts Group

LAN - Local Area Network

MPEG - Moving Picture Experts Group

P2P - Peer To Peer

POP3 - Post Office Protocol

RGB - Red Green Blue

TCP/IP - Transmission Control Protocol/Internet Protocol

USB - Universal Serial Bus

WiFi - Wireless Fidelity

WWW - World Wide Web

Did you learn something? I sure hope so!

come on throw some at me lets see if school ever taught me anything?

Want to expose your thoughts to the world? Share your favorite links? Shout out your political, religious, or personal beliefs? Well, a blog is the place to do it. It can be a soap box, a pulpit, a diary—whatever you want it to be. There are few rules and can be any size or shape.

Blog is a portmanteau of "Web Log" and is a web site where you can post pictures, share links, make comments, and write whatever you want. Another neat aspect of blogging is that visitors can comment on the posts creating an interactive, collaborative space. Many have RSS feeds that notify you of new posts.

Blogs made a big impact on the 2004 US presidential election. Bloggers exposed forged documents used in a news story causing the demise of a prestigious network anchorman. Some bloggers are even being recognized by the news establishment as legitimate journalists. Priests and pastors encourage and inspire with daily devotional posts.

There's a blog for every interest, and if there isn't, you can create one (see this week's download). Basic blogs can be created for free, while more involved ones might require a hosting fee.

For some lists of what's out there, check out these web sites...

http://blogcatalog.com/

http://www.blogsearchengine.com/

http://www.blogarama.com/

Q:

I have an older mechanical mouse, you know the ones with the ball on the base, and it's been acting jittery. How can I clean it?

A:

So, you're finding delicate control with your mouse to be difficult? All you want to do is nudge the arrow on the screen by a fraction of an inch, but for some reason it keeps on jumping all over the place?

Well, here's a tip that applies to optical mice which emit a red glow and mechanical mice (the older type with a ball in the base). For another tip on how to clean mechanical mice, have a look down 1 post).

To begin, turn the mouse on its back (reassure him by tickling his tummy). Look on the underside of your mouse. There will either be four pads (or ‘feet’) in the corners, or a couple of strips running across the top and bottom. If any gray gunk has accumulated on these, scrape it off and use some water (or that other popular cleaning solution – spit) to get them nice and clean.

undermouse.jpg

That gunk (mostly made up of your old skin cells) is sticky and this makes the mouse stick to the mouse mat. Get rid of it and everything will run smoothly once again!

Q:

My mouse is acting funny. Yes, it's one of those ancient roller-ball mouses and sometimes I have to move it a few inches before the cursor starts to move. Is it time for a new mouse?

A:

I'm guessing the problem is that your mouse guts are dirty. Don't worry, you don't need to get in touch with some sort of computer vet to fix the little guy.

Gently turn the mouse over (sometimes they frighten easily; however, if you've had him declawed, you should be OK).

Normally, there is a removable piece that holds the mouse ball in. (Insert own joke here.) It usually comes off with a little twist. Pull the ball out and remove any excess dirt, fur, hair, gum, pop, spare change, etc. Usually just wiping off the ball with a lint free cloth will do the trick. If it's extra grimy, rinsing it off under running water would be a good idea (the ball—NOT the mouse), just make sure that it's 110% dry before you re-assemble things.

Next look inside the mouse where the ball was. You'll probably need to take a pair of tweezers and (carefully!) pluck the hair / fur / lint off the rollers (they act like a magnet for this stuff). You might even try to blow it out with some of that canned air stuff (in case you're tempted, it's probably NOT a real good idea to wash it out with water :-)

If you really want to make it easy, you can get a mouse cleaning kit for under five bucks...

Finally, I'd make sure that your desk or mouse pad surface is clean and free of lint, hair, mouse droppings, etc. And that should do it!

USB devices are flooding the market. Digital cameras, media players, external drives—all of them use the USB port. Newer computers have a port or two right up front for removable devices.

Even though USB devices are Plug & Play—that is, they're ready to go upon being plugged in—you shouldn't just unplug them. A USB port has current running through it, so the power jolt caused by unplugging a "hot" connection can corrupt data on a storage device, camera, or mp3 player.

You can prevent such problems by clicking the "Safely Remove Hardware" button down in the system tray (by the clock). It looks like a rectangle with a green arrow pointing down at 8 o'clock.

You'll be given a list of USB devices that are active. Highlight the one you want to remove and click. When the power shuts off Windows will tell you that it is safe to remove the device.

If you have wireless internet access (Wi-Fi) on your laptop but often switch over to a "land line" connection, be sure to turn off your Wi-Fi.

This helps keep you secure.

Your laptop may have a function key for this (looks like an antennae) but all brands are different—check your owner's manual.

Some PCs have USB ports in the front and back. For best results, use the back ports for hardware such as printers, scanners, keyboards, mice, card readers, or digital camera docks—things you never or rarely unplug. Save the front USB ports for things you plug in/unplug often like digital cameras, mp3 players, "thumb drives", etc.

Keep It Clean

When it comes to our computers, all we tend to think about is the stuff we see on the screen — the software. Most of us tend to neglect the computer itself.

What can you do with your computer to make it run longer? As I just mentioned above, keep it clean.

I can't tell you the number of computers I've opened that have been clogged with dust. In fact, I've seen computers fail and have intermediate problems due to excessive dust build up. In addition, a lot of dust in your computer can cause it to run hotter than it should, shortening its life.

So, what can you do?

If you are brave, you can open your computer's case (unplug it first) about once every 6 months or so and blow it out with that canned air stuff (you can get it at any office supply store). Of course, be careful not to disconnect or damage anything. Make sure you blow out the power supply ( DO NOT open up the power supply unit) and the CPU fan too. Since all this dusting can make a mess, you may want to do it outside.

Here's a shot of one of my dirty old PCs. This one uses a Pentium III processor, so its CPU fan is vertical in orientation. Your CPU fan may be flat on the board.

clean1.jpg

Also, make sure you keep your can of compressed air upright. The propellant inside those things tends to come out when the can is inverted or at an angle, so be careful.

Oh, if you can get some kind of good "mini-vacuum" that would be OK too. In fact, some would argue vacuums are better because compressed air can force dust deeper into the cracks and crevices of your computer.

That said, I still like canned air better for a several reasons.

1. I've yet to find a little vacuum that was any good. They all seem to leave a ton of dirt behind on the boards. In my opinion, if you can't get all the dirt off, what's the point?

2. In addition, there are a lot of places that even small attachments just can't get to. Again, what's the point of cleaning if you can't get it all?

3. I've been cleaning computers since before DOS, and have yet to actually see a problem with using canned air. In my opinion, compressed air simply removes the most dust. So, I'll stick to my little cans, you can still vacuum if you like :-)

Finally, no matter how tempting it is, washing your computer with the help of a garden hose is always a bad idea :-)

USB devices are flooding the market. Digital cameras, media players, external drives—all of them use the USB port. Newer computers have a port or two right up front for removable devices.

Even though USB devices are Plug & Play—that is, they're ready to go upon being plugged in—you shouldn't just unplug them. A USB port has current running through it, so the power jolt caused by unplugging a "hot" connection can corrupt data on a storage device, camera, or mp3 player.

You can prevent such problems by clicking the "Safely Remove Hardware" button down in the system tray (by the clock). It looks like a rectangle with a green arrow pointing down at 8 o'clock.

You'll be given a list of USB devices that are active. Highlight the one you want to remove and click. When the power shuts off Windows will tell you that it is safe to remove the device.

jump5xj.jpg

SO THIS IS BULLSHT?