Caseks-Computer-Corner

RumPuncher

Longhorn's most useful Speed Boost feature 'leaked' as XP tweak:

I found this Windows XP tip on the Internet. They claim it works, but I haven't tired it yet. If you want to test it yourself back-up first!

" Microsoft claims Longhorn will be, faster!

The only reason why its faster is they added a superfetch feature to the prefetcher. If you look at the key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\Memory Management\Prefetcher

you will notice in windows xp

EnablePrefetcher = 3 and you will notice in windows longhorn

EnableSuperfetch = 1

Well, guess what? You can put the EnableSuperfetch = 1 in windows xp and get the same speed.

Microsoft just added a feature that was already there in xp."

(At your own risk! - and back-up before you make changes.)

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
Originally posted by casekonly@Jul 23 2005, 09:54 PM

sounds like you've got alot of hidden tasks running

and some don't want to shut down.

try adaware or spybot to get rid of spyware. i'm

betting that you have some spyware up in your

system.

yeah got rid of those spies as you said, restarted and it worked fine.

but then 30mins later i went to turn off the computer and it did it

again...

any suggestions master?

muchly appreciated.

*in windows task manager i have 48 running processes...is this alot? or not?

alright, i got another one for you. my uncle just got a new hp tower, and it was runnin all fine and shit, but it wasnt on a surge protector. so i bought him one, and unplugged all his shit from the old one (yes, everything was turned off properly and everything) and threw it on the new one, turned the surge protector "on" then pressed the power button. it made a funky sound, but never turned on, now it just clicks, did i kill it or what? its olny like three days old, top of the line shit, so i'd imagine he's not going to be too happy.

*edit*by the way, that site you reffered me too, in the link they give for hp computers, it takes you too a members only site, got any other pages that have downloadable drivers?

yet another question ok i have a network up and running ok my hard drive is being shared where everyone grabs files through my comp i want to setup a something that will log all the files that are being used or grabed off my hard drive there is a thing in my MMC console root i went and added a standalone snap-in (shared folders) when i go to it i get an error 5 "access denied"

am i doing it right?

what is another way to do it?

how do i get this to work?

or do you have any programs that will do this?

caseks please help me...everytime I put a disc into my cd-rom nothin even loads up...what do I do to fix this?...my cd burner is all messed up too...like every minute my computer freezes for like 10 seconds...sometimes the cd burner light won't come on at all...sometimes the yellow light always stays on...and sometimes the red light always stays on...I can't even open the cd burner...if you can please help me i'd be greatly appreciated.

forget reinstalling windows, check the jumper settings on those drives, then check the power and ide cables, then try un/re installing the drive with the device manager, then find another copy of the driver and a different driver if there is one, then try the drives on another computer.

i have an idea, try one drive in your computer at a time, and plug them into different cables, like from master on the second channel to slave on the first, which should be the one your hard drive is on