bicicletas

Guest HESHIANDET

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
Crashed today. Was descending down an unknown road and came up on a 180° turn too fast, slid on some gravel/sand and went right into the curb... luckily sideways. Damaged both wheels and have so much road rash, bruises and golf ball sized welts that you'd think I fell off a train. And one ugly looking iPhone. Ugh... I need a safer CHEAPER sport.

Fuck. I feel ya, been feeling the same way especially when my rear derailleur has been all kinds of fucked up despite my wrench tinkering with it. Sleeping is the worst when it comes to rash, I've been dealing with that for 2 weeks now.. ugh.

Last two days I've been going MTBing and having a total blast. Friday we went out on Ridgeline/Baldy in Eugene and I took my CX bike... well, climbing was great, descending sucked ass, tree roots were a bane and I had three different mechanicals (brake pads rubbing at the rear, slow leak front flat, bars tweaking in the stem). Wasn't so ideal because descending I'd have to be on the hoods to modulate speed and that put my weight forward a bunch.

Yesterday, after telling a friend at the shop about the ride, he let me burrow his scandium SS rigid 29er (!!!), a Kona Big Unit all pimped out with Chris King, carbon risers, disc brakes etc. Man, what a difference. Cornering and descending on that bike were a different world vs. my CX bike. So much fun. Even got the balls to hit a couple jumps on the trails and clear the gaps on point. The only thing that sucks is now I'm hooked and can't go back to the CX bike on those trails. The gear homie had on it was a good climbing gear too and descent on the flats, but all in all a great cardio workout. Brings me back to my days of riding through thick tree sections on my snowboard and finding lines. Still would like to try a hard tail though...

http://www.bikesdirect.com/products/motobecane/outcast29_08.htm got my eye on this piece.

Fuck. I feel ya, been feeling the same way especially when my rear derailleur has been all kinds of fucked up despite my wrench tinkering with it. Sleeping is the worst when it comes to rash, I've been dealing with that for 2 weeks now.. ugh.

Last two days I've been going MTBing and having a total blast. Friday we went out on Ridgeline/Baldy in Eugene and I took my CX bike... well, climbing was great, descending sucked ass, tree roots were a bane and I had three different mechanicals (brake pads rubbing at the rear, slow leak front flat, bars tweaking in the stem). Wasn't so ideal because descending I'd have to be on the hoods to modulate speed and that put my weight forward a bunch.

Yesterday, after telling a friend at the shop about the ride, he let me burrow his scandium SS rigid 29er (!!!), a Kona Big Unit all pimped out with Chris King, carbon risers, disc brakes etc. Man, what a difference. Cornering and descending on that bike were a different world vs. my CX bike. So much fun. Even got the balls to hit a couple jumps on the trails and clear the gaps on point. The only thing that sucks is now I'm hooked and can't go back to the CX bike on those trails. The gear homie had on it was a good climbing gear too and descent on the flats, but all in all a great cardio workout. Brings me back to my days of riding through thick tree sections on my snowboard and finding lines. Still would like to try a hard tail though...

http://www.bikesdirect.com/products/motobecane/outcast29_08.htm got my eye on this piece.

i know what you mean, CX bikes on descents are HORRIBLE. my friend let me ride his gary fisher 29er and it was like heaven. then i had to get back on my CX bike... too bad that bike i rode cost more then my car. did you sit down at all when riding? i can barely bring myself to sitdown and my hands never leave the hoods.

sweet, thanks

Yeah, if you follow that path all the way to Sellwood (where that section of the path ends) and then take a left at the end and follow the "bike route" signs to get back to the path... You can pretty much ride all the way out to Sandy. All flat, and damn quiet.

i know what you mean, CX bikes on descents are HORRIBLE. my friend let me ride his gary fisher 29er and it was like heaven. then i had to get back on my CX bike... too bad that bike i rode cost more then my car. did you sit down at all when riding? i can barely bring myself to sitdown and my hands never leave the hoods.

Descending on the CX bike I'd hover above the seat...

About halfway through yesterday's ride on the 29er my buddy put my seat down about 1" before a descent section and it made all the difference for keeping my weight back (I had it at my regular road height before that) and I left it like that for the rest of the ride. It was good on the descents having it down but painful on the climbs because it'd basically mean out of the saddle the whole way up... which just equals fatigue when you could be sitting at optimum height and using less muscles.

i came upon a set of preloved veloflex pave skinwalls at work, red even. so i put them on my pista since the gatorskins were getting pretty worked. the next ride i did i decided to ride through some rocky glass laden singletrack. the blessed tires surived only to blow out the bead while sitting in the sun in the backyard. the sun melted the glue of the seam at the bead. ironic.

oh, and the rear had a weak spot in the sidewall that i reinforced with some cloth bar tape. it was the front that blew out.

So it turns out im gunna grab a used bike frim this dope church run bike exchange. they fix em all up and such and sell them for $50. The reason they are so cheap is that they are all donated in GREAT condition.

Should I get a fixie or one with gears?

Help and reading shall be appreciated and propped

we have a thing like that in our town but i havent checked it out yet.

id go for a fixed speed, you will feel cooler.

rubbish, the singletrack i ride is ridiculously rooty so i can really only bring myself to sit down on the turns and if im really tired.

how did you fit a computer under that rock?

a 'fixie' has a fixed gear. you cannot coast. track bicycles have this type of drivetrain.

a singlespeed has a drivetrain like a bmx bike. only one speed that is free to coast.

many other bicycles have many gears or speeds controlled by a derailleur(s).

and if one is getting a bicycle from a church turnaround shop i doubt the velodrome is the next stop.

worn out trend, using the wrong type of bike for the conditons your riding in.

examples......

CX bike on rooted up singletrack ( nothing personal)

fixie in a hilly urban city

full suspension bike on the road

i know everyone cant afford 3-4 bikes though, so i guess its good to make do with what u have. riding a CX bike on technical singletrack is not fun though.

Im lookin to build up a SS rigid mtb with some big cushy tubless tires and a front disc.

those handcuff things looked good.

myself, i just use a simple cable lock with a padlock, i wrap it around my seatpost and just unwrap as much as i need to lockup, that way its always with my bike. I try not to leave it in theft prone locations. The other thing i do is undo the quick release on the front wheel and dont bother to lock it if im somewher that i can see the bike. One of these days some asshole is gonna try to hop on and ride away, crashing, and he will meet my rigid cycling shoes with the back of his skull.