dreamweaver question

seeking

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
Guest Mr.Raven

<html>
<head>
<title>Untitled Document</title>
<meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=iso-8859-1">
<script language="JavaScript">
<!--
function MM_checkBrowser(NSvers,NSpass,NSnoPass,IEvers,IEpass,IEnoPass,OBpass,URL,altURL) { //v4.0
var newURL='', verStr=navigator.appVersion, app=navigator.appName, version = parseFloat(verStr);
if (app.indexOf('Netscape') != -1) {
 if (version >= NSvers) {if (NSpass>0) newURL=(NSpass==1)?URL:altURL;}
 else {if (NSnoPass>0) newURL=(NSnoPass==1)?URL:altURL;}
} else if (app.indexOf('Microsoft') != -1) {
 if (version >= IEvers | | verStr.indexOf(IEvers) != -1)
  {if (IEpass>0) newURL=(IEpass==1)?URL:altURL;}
 else {if (IEnoPass>0) newURL=(IEnoPass==1)?URL:altURL;}
} else if (OBpass>0) newURL=(OBpass==1)?URL:altURL;
if (newURL) { window.location=unescape(newURL); document.MM_returnValue=false; }
}
//-->
</script>
</head>

<body bgcolor="#FFFFFF" text="#000000" onLoad="MM_checkBrowser(4.0,1,2,4.0,1,2,0,'www.url1.com','www.url2.com');return document.MM_returnValue">
</body>
</html>

replace "www.url1.com" and "www.url2.com" with the url you want them to go to.

Guest Mr.Raven
Originally posted by seeking innocence:

i know that one, but all that deals with is loading up different pages. i need to be able have links that when clicked on, take you to two seperate places. i cant do it with tht function... thanks though...

can you be more specific?

ok, heres my problem.

after you click on the splash page, it brings up the 'home' page in a pop up window. problem is, netscape cuts off part of the bottom. to correct this, i had to change the dimensions a little bit. it looks fine in netscape now, but its not right in IE. to remedy this, i did the 'check browser' function from DW on the splash page, so it gives a different splash to netscape. easy fix. BUT as you go through the site, each page has a button for 'home.' basically, i dont want to have to make two totally different sites. there must be some way to have a sort of 'splitter' at each link. raven, what your saying would probably work, but i dont know how to plug code into DW. i just type it into thelink area, i dont know shit about code...

Originally posted by seeking innocence:

or, someone could just tell me how to remedy this netscape resizing problem.

well... this fixes it a little bit.

inside the body tag put this.

<body bgcolor="#FFFFFF" topmargin="0" marginheight="0" leftmargin="0" marginwidth="0">

you should be good too go. it won't be perfect but its good enough. the thing you need to know though is that I.E. and Netscape have different ways of calculating their window's frames, borders and title bars so it can get a little tricky. With netscape6 though, this has been fixed. But with netscape6 and netscape4.?, you're page is going to be freaky. Its called browser wars, and its a fuckin pain in the ass for us designers and developers trying to get this working on both. I'd be happy to give you a hand if you'd like.

If you really want, you can block people with older browsers from seeing the site so they have to go upgrade. That way, it doesn't matter what you do, both netscape and IE will see it the same way. The draw back to that is, anyone with a browser version of IE5 and up and netscape6 and up can only view your page. But, you also have to take into account the percentages of browsers being used and on what platform they are being used on. I could go on for hours, so if you want some serious help, gimme an email. kaneone@hotmail. coolcool.

seeking try this.

do what avils said to do, but on a different part of your site.

make your link to the internet explorer page. when the ie page loads up, it should have the javascript function that avils described... this way if the user is using netscape, as soon as the ie page loads, it will immediately forward to netscape...otherwise it will stay on the ie page.

i did this for my own website.

if you want an example, look at the source code for http://www.kastsystem.com/input.htm

and http://www.kastsystem.com/input-net.htm

(all of my links to the "input" page go to input.htm, but if you are using netscape, input.htm will forward to input-net.htm)

Archived