Old Cans Of Paint, Serious Collectors

Slyle CMC

2189604409_65b686efb4.jpg?v=0

found these yesterday, the fire hydrant red in the middle is full and the tip looks like its never been sprayed. It even has the clear cap over the tip still.

any info???

Copyright date should be 1967. Good find, is that all??? Collectible, especially on the reds. Nothing really special about them, but most collections always seem to start with rusto or krylon. I think fire hydrant red was changed to regal red, but I could be wrong gotta look it up.

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • Replies 5.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

anyone know about "GALVANOLEUM" from rustoleum?

can is marked 1955.. its all metal no paper label.. colorfull scotty dude on front..

i dont know how to describe it...its like a small can stacked ontop of a bigger can..same width.. its bucket paint not spray.

sorry no flicks.. camera on vacation.

color :red.

yeah, galvanoleum is mostly cool because it's not supposed to be sold anymore. it's Rusto's old formula for coating metal (ala galvanizing, but i don't think it has zinc) but it contains lead. like many old time leaded paints (NOT leaded spray paints) it comes with an additional metal chamber on top, the contents of which needed to be mixed into the bottom canister's contents. i think it came in two colors, but i have to check one of the old rusto catalogs to be sure.

i came across it relatively often, and it definitely looks cool. but i wouldn't open it unless you're looking for lead poisoning or some shit. a 1955 one would also have a nice label.

You gotta love the internet, forget going out and figuring things out yourself, just go online and "google it". People constantly want to know where to find old cans. Like you just go somewhere and they are there. One piece of advice is you either A. have the loot and spend alot of time on ebay, or B. Like most of us DIG. You do the leg work (this does not just apply to paint) and you will find what you are looking for. Even though I have a few methods that never fail, there is certainly multiple ways I know people look for paint. Suprisingly it is pretty obvious if you just looked into it and put the time in.

I would recommend buying all old paint off of ebay, digging just sounds like it would be dirty and very time consuming.

(in my campest voice):

my goodness!.... to spend time or get dirty while invested in a hobby! perish the thought!!

i ain't macho baby, but that's some weak shit you put down right there.

actually doing it is living and learning, or at least a bit closer to it.

staying home, ordering it from the internet, paying to pretend to be down, or playing a video game is a little bit closer to getting old or dying. that goes for a few things besides just digging.

i got some shit off ebay... couple times people blatantly lied about the condition..

one time dude sent me an extra 5 cans.

but thats my general ebay experience... ive bought cars off of there..and at the same time some jerk off beats me for 6 bucks.

flea markets ..havent scooped paint at any but the people at those places are NUTS!!..great for pictures.

I find it ironic that all those cans say stops rust, yet look at them. I love the old early 60's late 50's can design where there is little to no warning label on the front of them. Some olders ones are even better when the whole focus is on the fonts and graphics...

Archived