when did graffito go mid-west?

Guest newyuckshity

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
Guest Wase_137

I know that in Colorado, graff has been around since the late 80's/ early 90's. Only a few people were doing it then, but now it seems like it has snow balled, everyone wants to paint. I think that it comes from people that have links with other people in different places, say if your cousin from NY who was a writer came down for the summer or whatever and showed you what the deal was, then you started, that could have some base on what is being discussed here....

midwest is due

first New York got its props,

Then it was all bout what was goen on in the west coast.

then the euro scene exploded.

Then The southern scene (texas), which has turned into nothen but euro styles it seems.

The north got some credit..

BUT WHO ARE THESE KIDS FROM THE STICKS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I think it has something to do with them MTV commercials.I think there may be some subliminimal messages in there telling kids under the age of 16 from anywhere in middle america to do weird, subversive things. I think it may also have something to do with the water, that shit tastes mighty strange around dem dere parts.

Guest newyuckshity

i must say.......i am impressed. i see some of you really went all out over this. so im not the only dude who got a dome for these type of questions. though there are a few cats on here that i dont really agree with i still think there input is important because they represent what is out there.

I don’t know how much deeper this question can go but if you still have some contributions please keep the thread going.

be it punk hip hop or disco, we all got into to it to GET-UP and create. i dont like the debate "i started writing cause i skate board" or "i started writing cause i im the essence of hip hop culture" its all about painting and getting your name all over the city...or in this case the town, field, country or whathave you. and this is what brings kids together. not music not clothes not style.

graffiti has been around maybe 30 years tops. with REAL thro-ups and pieces like seen cap blade. and in NY its alomst all but gone. i would say 80% of it has been cleaned. trains...gone. highways...gone. piecing spots...almost all gone. streets... going going...

so enjoy it while it lasts. there is not too much history here compared to the grand scheme of things. i mean if you think about its still young to the game of life.

the truth is that not every lil town in IOWA has a scene

but the whole world wants expression and if graff exists in mjor cities then it would be in Chicago or Mineapolis or Saint Louis...

THat is the real Midwest... everything that is true is recognized it's only logical that Graffiti earned this many disciples...

My moms was writing political messages when she was fifteen years old....with a spray can.... and this is in a 3rd world country in the 70's !?!?!?..... why would it not reach suburban kids.......?!?!?

Guest ArtvandaL

political messages

conio cifra tienes razon mi hermano, my pops been writing political messages in chitown back in the 70s on mailboxes, but what would drive sububan kids to do graff? i dont know, my opinion is that they like art, they like graffiti and want to wite there names real big with colors, so they decide to do it with spray paint like they see in movies of car chases in LA, or gang movies. But, overall I think bombing/tagging and piecing came from different ways.check it out, the immigrants came over from their war torn countries, and did not want their land to be lost, nor in their memories or anyone elses. They were most likeley stressed out thinkin so much about whats going on back home, and didnt want to feel like they arent doing anything to support the revolution or their side of the fight, so here in America, in the big cities (cause immigrants dont exactly go to Iowa or Mississipi) they wrote their political messages on walls, on street walls, mailboxes, trucks etc... it didnt have to be a big ass message, it couldve just been... BORICUA DE CORAZON. once they got the hang of it, you know, theyre friends tellin them"hey I seen this shit, you did that?!? wow!" they then right their names, like "JUNITO" for the fuck of it. From then on the tagger is born if he was destined that way. now..

the piecer, to me, is a guy that likes to write his name on walls, just for the fuck of it, and he starts out hidden, cause he wants it to look nice, unlike the tagger JUNITO who at first didnt give a fuck how it looked as long as it were there. Ill continue later...

please comment on this and dont hate if you cant relate, remember I'm talkin about what PROBABLY went on back in the days before we were born, and the immigrant was young and anxious,living in a whole new "free world" where gangs roamed the streets like the "warriors" taggin graveyards. peace.

oye cifra, mandame un email cuando puedas

Archived