What is a Police State? Here's some clues.

KaBar

From a new book published by Jews For the Preservation of Firearms Ownership (JPFO) www.jpfo.org.

When law officers and civilian liberty activists agree on a clear definition of "police state," the two groups can unite to achieve the same goal: perserving a peaceful, free society.

What is a "police state?"

A police state exists where:

--the State imposes it's comprehensive vision of economic welfare and correct behavior on it's citizens.

--the police apparatus serves the State (instead of the citizens.)

--the police apparatus takes upon itself to actively enforce the will of the State (rather than respond to criminal misdeeds.)

--the citizens serve the State and the police apparatus because of a pervasive fear of punishment.

In other words, the State is the boss with the plan, the people fear and therefore serve the Government, and the police apparatus actively makes sure things stay that way. The police and military are not necessarily police state agents. Law officers, whose mission it is to stop crime and track down violent criminals and thieves, are peace officers. Military members who deter or fight foreign invaders and attackers are forces for peace. Both categories of public servants work to preserve a free society by opposing the forces that would damage or destroy freedom.

Can it happen here?

How can we detect whether America is moving towards becoming a police state? Some of the key signs are:

--Increasing Government control over details of private life.

--Criminalizing unpopular speech and ideas.

--Multiplying bureaucratic regulation of private businesses and commerce.

--Using phrases such as "national security," "for the children," "temporary measures," and "public health" to justify expanding centralized authority and curtailing liberty.

--Compelling all school students to obey and accept pro-Government ideology.

--Placing law officers under National (as opposed to local) control and direction.

--Rendering the people psychologically and PHYSICALLY UNABLE TO RESIST GOVERNMENT ACTION, even if it is evil or murderous. (hello, gun control.)

--Employing law officers to make sure that people comply with Government edicts.

If you find the above timely and/or frighteningly reminiscent of recent current events, you might want to check out Claire Wolfe and Aaron Zelman's new book, "The State Vs. the People: The Rise of the American Police State." You can get it for $19.95 from JPFO, or ask for it at your local library (hah! fat chance.) (262) 673-9745 in Hartford, WI, USA.

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
Guest railroadjerk
Originally posted by KaBar

--Increasing Government control over details of private life.

very interesting. these are the bigguns though...

Originally posted by KaBar

They don't have to actually criminalize them. People will censor beyond what is legally required out of fear/pressure from public/economic considerations

for instance, MTV censors WAY more that they must....

ahem, zero tolerance for discussion.....I think this message may self destruct........:(

--the police apparatus serves the State (instead of the citizens.)

--the police apparatus takes upon itself to actively enforce the will of the State (rather than respond to criminal misdeeds.)

well it's pretty evident that this is the norm, so i guess we're in a police-state (hi, i knew that already)

can anyone name a time in modern history(meaning post hunter/gather) when a state did not do everything in its power to maintain control?

its an inherent characteristic of all governements....

For signs of a police state, how about when the government passes laws deemed the "patriot act"?

It began well before 9-11, but boy did that give zealots a leg to stand on.....

ofcourse the ironic part in all this mess is that the idea of patriot has been eroded...a patriot is someone who dissents, not someone who gets swept up by the tide....

and really i dont want to hear a god dam thing JPFO has to say....i think given the fact that israel gets 2 billion dollars in weapons from the US governement every year, they should kindly shut the fuck up....and i find it both appalling and ironically funny that they want to bitch about police states given the current atmosphere that they are creating over in the westbank.....blow me....

Guest imported_Tesseract

Haha, dude...i really hope i was chilling these days...The weather is fucking hot, its easter so no college BUT unfortunately my parents had a car accident a week ago and i'm not chill at all, lets say its ER home edition for me these days...anyway, its all good, i'm happy nothing really bad happened. I'll scan some flicks soon

Archived