Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

1. Welcome to the 12ozProphet Forum...
    You are currently logged out and viewing our forum as a guest which only allows limited access to our discussions, photos and other forum features. If you are a 12ozProphet Member please login to get the full experience.

If you are not a 12ozProphet Member, please take a moment to register to gain full access to our website and all of its features. As a 12ozProphet Member you will be able to post comments, start discussions, communicate privately with other members and access members-only content. Registration is fast, simple and free, so join today and be a part of the largest and longest running Graffiti, Art, Style & Culture forum online.

Please note, if you are a 12ozProphet Member and are locked out of your account, you can recover your account using the 'lost password' link in the login form. If you no longer have access to the email you registered with, please email us at [email protected] and we'll help you recover your account. Welcome to the 12ozProphet Forum (and don't forget to follow @12ozprophet in Instagram)!

Turkey offically in the process

Discussion in 'News' started by imported_Tesseract, Dec 17, 2004.

1. [attachmentid=3997]
    BBC NEWS
    Deal struck over Turkey-EU talks
    The EU and Turkey have struck a deal over an EU demand that Turkey recognise Cyprus before membership talks begin.

The compromise agreement clears the way for Turkey to start negotiations in October next year to enter the EU.

Dutch Prime Minister Jan Peter Balkenende, who currently holds the EU presidency, said Ankara had "accepted the hand we offered them".

Turkish Prime Minister Recep Tayyip Erdogan insisted signing the protocol was not a formal recognition of Cyprus.

He said Turkey had worked hard to meet the criteria set out by the EU and that future negotiation would help to resolve many disputes.

Mr Balkenende welcomed the deal as "writing history".

He said Turkey's agreement to the accord was "not a formal legal recognition" of the Greek Cypriot-led government "but it is a step that can lead to progress in this field".

Jose Manuel Barroso, head of the European Commission, said: "Today is also a new beginning for Europe and for Turkey.

He said the European Union had "opened its door to Turkey" and taken a decision "which is good for Turkey and good for the European Union".

He added: "This is not the end of the process. This is the beginning."

UK Prime Minister Tony Blair welcomed the agreement as "a good day for Europe, for Turkey and the wider world".

He said it would mean increased security and prosperity for Europe and Turkey.

"We are stating a fundamental principle that the fact Turkey is a Muslim country does not mean it should be barred from Europe," Mr Blair said.

"On the contrary, if it fulfils the same principles of human rights, then Muslim and Christian can work together."

German Foreign Minister Joschka Fischer said: "There was a deal and everybody is happy with it."

Under the agreement, Turkey must issue a written statement promising to sign an accord extending its customs union to the 10 new EU members, including Cyprus.

This must be done before the proposed start date for talks of 3 October next year, EU diplomats said.

It will mean granting effective recognition to the Greek Cypriot government, but gives Turkey more time to sell the idea to its people.

The internationally recognised southern part of Cyprus is an EU member, but Turkey, which occupies northern Cyprus, had previously insisted it would not bow to demands to recognise the country, calling the issue a "red line".

Croatia talks

The EU has said it could take up to 15 years before Turkey is able to join, and entry cannot be guaranteed.

EU leaders had warned Turkey before the two-day summit started that it would have to take steps to recognise Cyprus.

However, talks will begin only if the country co-operates fully with the UN war crimes tribunal for the former Yugoslavia.

Italian Prime Minister Silvio Berlusconi said the 3 October date for Turkey would give enough time to allow its parliament to ratify the move.

Turkish Prime Minister Recep Tayyip Erdogan spent hours on Friday locked in talks with the Dutch, British, German and French leaders.

He also held talks overnight with the Dutch prime minister, who currently holds the EU presidency.

Story from BBC NEWS:
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/go/pr/fr/-/1/hi/worl...ope/4103931.stm

Published: 2004/12/17 17:32:50 GMT

© BBC MMIV

2. I agree with Mr.Koffer...
    Its funny how the biggest suporters of Turkey to become 'europe' were Tony blair and the european countries that supported Bush in the war against terror.

Furthermore, Europe doesnt seem able to hold a guideline of its own so this whole union thing represents for the most part an economic value rather than a pollitical entity.

congratulations is seeing that the whole world is practically run by Bush...

3. <KEY3>

<KEY3> Veteran Member

so it's like a second class membership with no guarantees?

what's the greek perspective on it?

4. The official guideline for national reasons is that we want them to join mostly because that would mean the recognition of cyprus and the removal of their army there and most importantly the end of their claims over the aegean sea that is a cassus beli lingering over our heads for decades. As far as the whole idea of the european union its being viewed in a negative way by almost everyone in europe as well as most greeks. The idea is that Turkey will most likely be US's trojan horse in the EU (while England remains the Brutus..)

5. Yeah, but you have to understand that Turkey is FAR from complying with the EU social and economic standards..poverty is hitting defcon5 there and the violations of human rights reports keep flowing in every minute that passes. Besides that, Turkey has no european background whatsoever, not to mention actual ground...

If turkey enters the EU fully it will be in 15 years and only if they progress day by day. Thats the official timeline.

6. <KEY3>

<KEY3> Veteran Member

Trojan Horse........ way to slip that one in.

7. WAY to slip that one in!

8. seeking

seeking Dirty Dozen Crew

does the rest of the world realize that we eat 'turkey' every thanksgiving?

cause i realize it (and i giggle like a fucking school girl about it)

9. mental invalid

mental invalid Dirty Dozen Crew

oh man why the fuck would the EU want turkey?

if i was the EU i said thanks, but no thanks...

10. seeking

seeking Dirty Dozen Crew

if i was the EU i'd say 'luois vatton bags! louis vatton purses! gucci sunglasses and accessories! you look, you like, you buy! great deal! come quick! you like? try this one! great deal, great deal!'

of course i'd be saying it while being a nigerian immigrant standing outside the vatican, but i mean, whatever.

11. I hate to say it but if you were the EU you'd have Bush breathing down your neck over this...its really sad actually. Theres nothing in pollitics that pisses me off more than superpowers playing favorites with trememndous consequences.

12. mental invalid

mental invalid Dirty Dozen Crew

plllllleeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaasssssssseeeeeeeee......

its time for the EU to fucking start acting like the global powerhouse it is....

stop being a bunch of euro fags....

bush cant do shit, not without congress, the UN, and the WTC, for the love of god its not like he is louis the 14th...

13. Hahahaha, europe aint a global powerhouse at all...as i stated before its mostly conceived as an economical power and it goes pretty well at that but thats about it.
    So who stopped bush from getting into the most ridiculous war ever? the congress? the UN? or the WTC?...yup

now if you america fags wouldnt reelect him the world would be a better place;)

14. villain

villain Veteran Member

Americas dollar is only backed by oil these days. Since we essentially control OPEC, what I want to know is why the EU is not doing more to advance alternative energies? Are Total and BP really that powerful there as to castrate alternative energy so much there? Doesn't france use something like 80% nuclear power anyways? I would like to see Japan come out with a car that can produce it's own energy from perpetual motion, recharge power cells in your home and run on it's own energy, and transform into voltron if i'm having a bad day.

15. metallix

metallix Elite Member

YOU ARE CORRECT! PETRO-DOLLAR-RECYLCING-CIRCLE.

THE BIGGEST LARGEST OPEN SECRET IN MACROECONOMICS.

AND IN COLLEGE THEY TELL US THE DOLLAR IS NOT BACK BY ANYTHING ., TAKEN OFF THE BRETTON WOODS CONFERENCE..GOOD THING THE INTERNET EXISTS OR ELSE I MIGHT EXIST IN PROPAGANDA-MATRIX-IGNORANCE AS WELL.

and perpetual motion is impossible. I believe Germany leads the field in Hydrogen development?