1. Welcome to the 12ozProphet Forum...
    You are currently logged out and viewing our forum as a guest which only allows limited access to our discussions, photos and other forum features. If you are a 12ozProphet Member please login to get the full experience.

If you are not a 12ozProphet Member, please take a moment to register to gain full access to our website and all of its features. As a 12ozProphet Member you will be able to post comments, start discussions, communicate privately with other members and access members-only content. Registration is fast, simple and free, so join today and be a part of the largest and longest running Graffiti, Art, Style & Culture forum online.

Please note, if you are a 12ozProphet Member and are locked out of your account, you can recover your account using the 'lost password' link in the login form. If you no longer have access to the email you registered with, please email us at info@12ozprophet.com and we'll help you recover your account. Welcome to the 12ozProphet Forum (and don't forget to follow @12ozprophet in Instagram)!

sumo

Discussion in 'Channel Zero' started by serum, Apr 6, 2003.

1. serum

serum 12oz Elite Member

sumo

Discussion started by serum - Apr 6, 2003

today i went to my first sumo tournament. shit was dope. it's definitely an acquired taste. the point is for the two wrestlers to face off with eye contact and try to intimidate the other opponent before the match starts. they face off head to head, one wrestler waiting for the other to touch both fists to the ground and begin the match. but if one wrestler chooses to power-up from the god that they represent they move away from the circle and grab salt and throw it into the air. its kind of slow paced but basically after 3-4 "power-ups" its gets tense and you know that they are going to go at it the next face off. the first player to touch the ground with anything other than his feet or be pushed out to the circle loses. i always thought that sumo wrestlers were just really fat japanese people but for real dudes have alot muscle. heres some wrestlers that i dig.

http://www.sumo.or.jp/eng/kyokai/honbasho/image/kyokai.jpg'>

[img]http://www.sumo.or.jp/eng/kyokai/honbasho/image/torikumi.jpg'>

[img]http://www.sumo.or.jp/meikan/rikishidata/image/20000100.jpg'>
    asashoryu from mongolia my favorite yokozuna right now.

[img]http://www.sumo.or.jp/meikan/rikishidata/image/20000036.jpg'>
    musashimaru from hawaii

serum - Rank: 12oz Elite Member - Messages:
  2. philestine

philestine New Jack

philestine - Replied Apr 6, 2003

Good post serum. I dig the process they go through before the match with the hair styling.
    If i ever get a chance, i wouldn't hesitate on the opportunity to see a match.
    Is that what you know about the sport so far or did you have someone with you explaining the rules and rituals?

philestine - Rank: New Jack - Messages:
  3. swif1

swif1 12oz Veteran Member

swif1 - Replied Apr 6, 2003

i remember some channel showing sumo wrasslin' late night on TV in hawai'i.

swif1 - Rank: 12oz Veteran Member - Messages:
  4. chicken bone

chicken bone Guest

chicken bone - Replied Apr 6, 2003

Back when I lived in Japan I loved watching Sumo. Musashimaru was my favorite!

5. spec

spec Guest

spec - Replied Apr 6, 2003

I watch it on TV, it's entertaining. :cool:

6. Kr430n5_666

Kr430n5_666 Banned

Kr430n5_666 - Replied Apr 6, 2003

[​IMG]

Kr430n5_666 - Rank: Banned - Messages:
  7. TEE_rase_war

TEE_rase_war 12oz Senior Member

TEE_rase_war - Replied Apr 6, 2003

old people

TEE_rase_war - Rank: 12oz Senior Member - Messages:
  8. krie

krie Guest

krie - Replied Apr 7, 2003

that old lady is fukn weird lookin, id be hating that if she was my grandmother!

9. shaolinmasta

shaolinmasta 12oz Veteran Member

shaolinmasta - Replied Apr 7, 2003

hahaha funny pic she looks like shes standing up to somone

shaolinmasta - Rank: 12oz Veteran Member - Messages:
  10. krie

krie Guest

shes standin up to you

wot you gonna do now boye ?

11. uncle-boy

uncle-boy Guest

uncle-boy - Replied Apr 7, 2003

da local braddahs own dat shit.

Akebono
    Musashimaru
    Konishki

12. T.T Boy

T.T Boy Dirty Dozen Crew

T.T Boy - Replied Apr 7, 2003

hayakaguchi!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

T.T Boy - Rank: Dirty Dozen Crew - Messages:
  13. serum

serum 12oz Elite Member

serum - Replied Apr 7, 2003

i went with my girlfriend and she doesnt know anything about sumo. she didnt even know the names of the famous guys. wakanohana is retiring due to a bad leg so it was his 2nd time announcing his retirement. i guess theres a process to announcing your retirement a couple times. i was hoping they would cut his hair but not yet.

in terms of what i know about sumo is limited to the sentances i can pick up off the tv in japanese. ive seen the little skinny kids practicing in the stables and how they really just beat the shit out of you until you bulk up and hopefully begin to kick some ass. their diets have been made more healthier due to wrestlers dying at a young age. other fun facts are about the sumo orgies, and a long time ago about the homosexual relationships between the sumo and his apprentices. but for real sumo wrestlers have the most gorgeous wives.

14. krie

krie Guest

mmm i dun think id take my gf to watch sumo wrestling..

15. serum

serum 12oz Elite Member

serum - Replied Apr 7, 2003

Sumo wrestlers to begin safety patrol

Sumo wrestlers will be enlisted to fight the growing crime rate by conducting a nighttime patrol of the area around their Edogawa-ku stable from this week.

Officials from the Isenoumi Stable hope that their hefty help will not only thin out the ranks of criminals, but also swell the number of fans of the ancient sport.

"Anybody thinking of committing a crime would run away if they were confronted by a sumo wrestler," Isenoumi Stablemaster Fujinokawa said.

Starting Wednesday, two Isenoumi grapplers will walk the streets of the districts near the stable each night for about one hour beginning at midnight. They won't be armed, but will carry whistles to alert people of the presence of a wrongdoer and perhaps track them down.

Fujinokawa suggested the idea as much to boost the flagging popularity of sumo as to fight crime, which Metropolitan Police Agency statistics suggest is not so rampant around Edogawa-ku

(Mainichi Shimbun, Feb. 9, 2003)