do the right thing

mapo returns

I just got a dvd player about a month ago. Ever since then Ive felt like one of those guys who wakes up from a coma and is fascinated by new technology. But that deserves its own thread, as does Full Metal Jacket.

But for now I want to discuss 'Do the Right Thing'.

I had only seen bits and pieces of it before but always heard it was great. I saw it at Best Buy for $9.99 and picked it up. I was finishing up a good book last night, and figured id watch Do the Right Thing some other time. Then I went to tried to sleep but the thought of the dvd sitting there and me not watching it was too much. I watched it from start to finish and practically sat in awe of how good a movie it was.

I didnt finish it until 4am and had to leave for work at 10:15.

So my work day was a bitch but it was worth it for the movie.

If youve never seen it, its hard to explain. Its not really 'about' anything in particular. I guess you could say its about race relations in America, but it kinda goes deeper than that. The thing that makes the movie so brilliant is that Spike didnt try to form your opinions for you. He didnt say 'those people are wrong, these people are right'. Its alot of gray area. He showed all sides of the argument. He showed not everyone in a particular race thinks and/or acts the same. To me, it was like he showed how ridiculous racism can be, but the damage it does none-the-less. Even when the two quotes are presented at the end - one by Martin Luther King the other by Malcolm X. They were different viewpoints toward violence and race - and there was no answer to who was right or wrong. Dope movie on so many levels. Im gonna watch it again tonight.

Too bad Spike isnt making shit like this anymore. Spike Lee movies are like cocaine..you keep thinking he'll give you those great highs he gave you in the beginning..but he never does anymore and youre disappointed.

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

just wanted to add best buy also had a new edition dvd of it.

with the movie on one dvd and an extra dvd of other stuff.

i think it had outtakes, public enemys 'fight the power' video and some interviews..typical 'extra shit' they put on dvds.

it was too expensive for me though, i think it was around $36

Originally posted by ~KRYLON2~

my boy says he can zoom in on the action shots and watch it from different angles on his dvd player is that possible?

i dont know, but i doubt it. for him to be able to do that they'd have had to film it in the different angles, right? and then on top of that, include the extra angles into all the scenes but somehow make it only available by changing the angles on your remote control. i doubt it.

Archived