computer help

japillahan

so i download th program (bittorrent) and i go to a website to download some music. when i download it,h owever, the bittoreent program does nothing. like the download screen is not in the bittorrent box(is it supposed to?). after i download the file it dosent seem to work with the bittorrent program so i end up with a file i cant open with anything..sOOOOoooo i was wondering if someone knew what is going on. im on a mac n ow but when i lived with my parents i tried it on their pc and it did the same thing. anybody else who uses that stuff know how to give a brother a hand? thanks

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

Just about 98% are firewalled and can use IM's. Do you mean you are firewalled at work or school? If so, they let you use bittorrent? You need to forward your ports for bittorrent to work. Go to 192.168.1.1, usually default is 'admin' for password so try that, no need for login name. Find port forwarding section, usually under advanced options, and forward ports 6881 to 6999, check both UDP and TCP boxes, put in ip address of your computer and hit enable. Now that your ports are forwarded, your bittorrent should get a green light when downloading, instead of yellow which means firewalled.

When you say it's downloading a file of some strange type, that is the torrent file. double click the torrent file and bittorrent should open, ask where to save file, then hit ok and let it do its magic. It will probably be slow at first, but let it run and after 5-15 mins you will see an increase in speed.

use a bittorent client, there's many to choose from, I prefer some of the open source variety.... from http://www.sourceforge.net.... anyhow, so you get one of those, then you go over to http://www.suprnova.org, yes with no "e" and it has to be org, or else you'll be surfing a spyware pc ass raping website that looks like the real suprnova..... and then you click on files you want.... it will download a file with a "torrent" extension on it.... with that, provided you don't have browser integration and it just picks it up and dl's it for you, you open the torrent file in your torrent client..... THEN it will start downloading the file you want..... the torrent files are merely pointers to where the torrents are on the internet.

--DHABZ

Archived