The ACTA (Anti-Counterfeiting Trade Agreement) ?

BlackHoodieKid

sup with this shit? I been hearing alot lately from other forums im connected to, i guess its a pretty big deal

heres a few copypastas cause i cannot explain it myself...

On November 3 2009, a war started. A war so possibly huge that it may destroy the whole Internet it self. ACTA was announced. The ACTA (Anti-Counterfeiting Trade Agreement) is the first step towards Internet censorship. here is a brief summary of the act

That ISPs have to proactively police copyright on user-contributed material. This means that it will be impossible to run a service like Flickr or JewTube or Blogger, since hiring enough lawyers to ensure that the mountain of material uploaded every second isn't infringing will exceed any hope of profitability.

That ISPs have to cut off the Internet access of accused copyright infringes or face liability. This means that your entire family could be denied to the Internet -- and hence to civic participation, health information, education, communications, and their means of earning a living -- if one member is accused of copyright infringement, without access to a trial or counsel.

That the whole world must adopt US-style "notice-and-takedown" rules that require ISPs to remove any material that is accused -- again, without evidence or trial -- of infringing copyright. This has proved a disaster in the US and other countries, where it provides an easy means of censoring material, just by accusing it of infringing copyright.

heres a good link but its hard to understand all these bigs terms

http://www.michaelgeist.ca/content/view/4510/125/

i guess they're trying to limit the internet, and what we can see.

This statement on a comment from the link above got me inspired

And again, we see that our nice governments are elected to protect corporations and multinationals, against us, taxpaying lowlifes.

With religion, we were born with the original sin. With laws such as these we will all be born with the original infraction.

And we vote for these guys?

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

i guess they're doing this to protect artist and companies....There are sufficient laws, right now to protect artists. Adding more and more laws will simply make more criminals and artists won't get anything more because the public will resent the laws and circumvent them just to protest.

"companies do need their trademarks and copyrights respected"

Companies don't need anything. People need things. Companies are nothing more than tools we create in order to benefit actual human beings. When you talk about the needs of companies, you are treating them as ends, not as means. Then we - human beings - become the means to satisfy their needs.

Trademark law was NOT created for the benefit of companies. It was created for the benefit of consumers. Similarly, the first modern copyright act, the Statute of Anne, was created "for the encouragement of learning."

Your claim should be something more like, "citizens need dependable trademarks so they know what they are getting, and effective copyright that promotes the creation and access to culture and knowledge."