Simply Simplots

desism_ktc

Bored again and that gets me to thinking about things. As an old school NYC subway vet from the 80's, I consider myself a newjack to this freight world and am starting to expand my appreciation of certain cars or lines exclusive to these freights. If I had to pick-my favorite would be Simplots (followed by Pan Am MEC's). Why Simplot's? Maybe because they remind me of the flat white IRT's of the 2's and 5's that I pieced back in the day.

The J. R. Simplot Company, commonly referred to as Simplot, was founded in 1923 by 14-year-old J. R. Simplot near the small agricultural community of Declo in south central Idaho. J. R. Simplot led his company to tremendous growth in the period between its founding and World War II. The business truly flourished when it sold millions of pounds of dehydrated onions and potatoes to the U.S. military during the war.

Perhaps the most important and defining feature of the Simplot company was the invention by one of Simplot's chemists, Ray L. Dunlap, of the necessary processes to produce quality frozen french fries. By the early 1960s it was the primary supplier of french fries to McDonald's; by 2005 it supplied more than half of all french fries for the fast food chain. Simplot also produces fertilizers for agriculture.

John Richard "Jack" Simplot (born January 4, 1909) is the founder of the J. R. Simplot Company, an agricultural supplier specializing in french fries. In 2006 he was estimated to be the 80th richest person in America, with $3.2 billion. At 98, he is the oldest living billionaire on the Forbes 400.

I have seen writers, crews and cities have thier own thread so this might be the first car type to have it's own thread on here.

So post Simplot's..I raided some railfan sites to get this going...

JRSX_5022.jpg

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Personally prefer Troppies and BNSF/TILX icicles when it comes to the big white elephants...but surely would paiint one of those up. Never seen one in person.

Maybe it's a location thing. I don't get any Troppies here and have a couple of BNSF Icicles when I was going through Georgia, but I do have a spot for Simplots..

Plus it almost seems like it is a rare care of sorts, I am sure the BNSF Icicles and Troppies have way more cars than Simplots...