The Jimmy Hoffa's end zone cemetery...superthread

Guest mugshot

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • Replies 41.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• gentrifried

• once upon a crime

• Jersey Official

• demerock

dont confuse technic and effects w style

Nix,

Why is he confusing technique with style?

Style-

9. “A particular, distinctive, or characteristic mode or form of construction or execution in any art or work.”

(http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/style)

A technique used in a distinctive execution would apply that the artist style is in part derived from the technique. Is that not a distinctive way of executing the letters?

I would understand if you said you don’t like the style. Every single person has the right to his or her humble opinion of what they like and don’t like.

Nix,

Why is he confusing technique with style?

Style-

9. “A particular, distinctive, or characteristic mode or form of construction or execution in any art or work.”

(http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/style)

A technique used in a distinctive execution would apply that the artist style is in part derived from the technique. Is that not a distinctive way of executing the letters?

I would understand if you said you don’t like the style. Every single person has the right to his or her humble opinion of what they like and don’t like.

OK, u apply filters(effects) in photoshop to an EXISTING image, in my case handrawn(or the style)..THEN, the image is altered by the filters or effects....IE: 3d, blurred, rippled, glass, fire, water,etc. U started w a style and APPLIED the technique/effect/filter. NOW u have something else. YES, u applied it in a specific way,mode or style, but its the sum of its own parts, style+effects, its not an image that is PURE style. Besides, ppl been splattering and using bubbles and clouds since PHASE 2, its not as original as the 1st comment described.

END

if u cycle thru all the comments , I actually said I like the way u do it, jus that its not what comes to mind when i think about ppl who have developed an original "style"...hell, no one, including me, is 100% original ne more(sad but true). jus saying that what u do is MORE effects than it is a style....I think I said i like ur art and u as a person, as well....whatever thats worth to u. comments go back a few pages...

As I view this piece, my eyes are occasionally led over to the vanishing point on the left (in the distance), but keep coming back to the focal point around the butterflies. This movement happens largely because of the shadow that the rock casts in that direction. The blue of the sky and the orange of the rock are very intense and bright (highly saturated), and their opposition with each other also contributes to the back and forth motion of our eyes as we view the painting. If the blue color was not as saturated, more focus would be on the right side of the painting, it would have too much “weight,” and our eyes would linger there more. As a result, the painting’s composition would be less balanced.

Also, because the butterflies appear to be abnormally large (in comparison to what we assume is a rock face or cliff), we do not have a concrete sense of scale or proportion. This creates an interesting sense of ambiguity, and as a viewer we’re not sure if in fact we are very small, or simply lying close to the ground, or if these are mutated giant butterflies next to a huge cliff. Who can be sure? There aren’t even any pebbles on the ground or other recognizable objects in the paintings to give us clues about scale. The bottom-most butterfly shadow (as well as the butterflies themselves, and the shadow cast by the rock) has a sort of glow around it caused by the lighter orange color surrounding it. This causes the shadow to further “emerge” from the surface it’s supposed to be cast on, making it appear more three-dimensional and adding focus to it. We know that actual, “real-life” shadows do not have this effect, and so it creates a surreal feeling

winesnob.jpg

6a011570b57d1c970b013487621ac3970c-800wi

As I view this piece, my eyes are occasionally led over to the vanishing point on the left (in the distance), but keep coming back to the focal point around the butterflies. This movement happens largely because of the shadow that the rock casts in that direction. The blue of the sky and the orange of the rock are very intense and bright (highly saturated), and their opposition with each other also contributes to the back and forth motion of our eyes as we view the painting. If the blue color was not as saturated, more focus would be on the right side of the painting, it would have too much “weight,” and our eyes would linger there more. As a result, the painting’s composition would be less balanced.

Also, because the butterflies appear to be abnormally large (in comparison to what we assume is a rock face or cliff), we do not have a concrete sense of scale or proportion. This creates an interesting sense of ambiguity, and as a viewer we’re not sure if in fact we are very small, or simply lying close to the ground, or if these are mutated giant butterflies next to a huge cliff. Who can be sure? There aren’t even any pebbles on the ground or other recognizable objects in the paintings to give us clues about scale. The bottom-most butterfly shadow (as well as the butterflies themselves, and the shadow cast by the rock) has a sort of glow around it caused by the lighter orange color surrounding it. This causes the shadow to further “emerge” from the surface it’s supposed to be cast on, making it appear more three-dimensional and adding focus to it. We know that actual, “real-life” shadows do not have this effect, and so it creates a surreal feeling

winesnob.jpg

6a011570b57d1c970b013487621ac3970c-800wi

fascinating