-----> NY OLD SKOOL (1969-1974) <-----

nxrto

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • Replies 744
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I respect the old school and know my history.....but 98% of this stuff is wack. I'm sorry. I don't buy into the whole "old school graffiti is the best"....that' s like saying that televisions in the 1950's are better than than the flat screen hd's we have now. when something is started ...it just gets better over time.

I respect the old school and know my history.....but 98% of this stuff is wack. I'm sorry. I don't buy into the whole "old school graffiti is the best"....that' s like saying that televisions in the 1950's are better than than the flat screen hd's we have now. when something is started ...it just gets better over time.

this shit is wack?

2much-1.jpg

you can burn this?

worm270s.jpg

butch.jpg

i dont think so buddy

and what about that crime in the city joint I just posted....wack?!

Personally I don't think you can truly compare the different time frames realistically.

As much as the new stuff is good, sharp and maybe more in depth, the tools of the trade have given a lot of people a head start so to speak.

Take todays kings and take away the special paint, caps and I'll go as far as even saying the internet and see if thier stuff could match up to the old school..

-Stocks vs super skinny caps

-12-16 colors vs hundreds to choose from

-trading flicks by meeting a writer and exchanging styles etc. vs logging in a website like this to see work from people that most will never get to meet or even make an effort to understand etc..

just my two cents..

as I say it always..you don't have to like the old school, but you have to respect it and what it has done for todays writers...

If you respected it, why would you say 98% of it is wack?

you know they also used to have kegs at 3rd base.. but baseball today is so much cooler!!

what a tool..:rolleyes:

That book looks great. just ordered it.

herers a page out of "GRAFFITI. 2000 years of wall writing" by Robert Reisner. 1971

scan0001-7.jpg

I pre-ordered Birth of Graffiti, and it got here today. Alot of fresh, never before seen flics.

I got Faith of Graffiti when I was 13 it made me appreciate the art of writing so much more, and rethink my whole approach to graff.

I hope this book does the same for today's toys, like the imbecil who just posted the ridiculous comment about the old school being wack.

Birth of Graffiti and GRAFFITI. 2000 years of wall writing are completely amazing if you are seriously interested in what you are a part of when you chose to make marks on things that belong to other people.

It's relatively simple, if you just open your brain a bit, to realize the reason why the old school stuff is good, trust me it's mainly honesty.

these guys and sometimes gals, just went out and did their thing on those trains, no bullshit.

i think these should be seen:

LSD3_TR_3copy.jpg

FDT56_SALSA_copy.jpg

BILLY167_RIP_5_copy.jpg

SPIN__1974_copy.jpg

oldschool_1971_copy.jpg

CLASSIC_1970s_copy.jpg

presweet_2copy.jpg

The%20CRAZY%205.%20d.jpg

The%20whole%20Band%201970's1%20copy3.jpg

__00__%20cyde's%20first%20pieces%2073%20copy2.jpg

The%20crazy%20five%20%20partners2%20copy1.jpg

chi%20chi%20%20fdt56%20copy.4jpg.jpg

MOOSEEEE%20106%20%20pageeee%20copy.jpg

__00__skate1%20copy4.jpg

schick%201%20front%20copy2.jpg

STANTASY_copy.jpg2.jpg

STAN1531STWALL_copy.jpg2.jpg

all very obviously stolen from subway outlaws which all of you guys should check out if you haven't already.

typical - but not unexpected from a new writer. what fail to realize is this shit is wack to you by todays standards, but todays standards were formulated from these standards. this graffiti is true and pure. there is no point of reference for this shit - and so when this is considered the "best" it is the best because it was created from nothing. the best writers today have a point of reference - these is a sphere of influence. so in a word, these niggas was gods because they created - whereas today we are pretty much just recycling variations of styles created by these dudes. its why guys like scratch perry are better than bob marley. and why the first wu tang album is better than the latest wu shit (even though the latest shit is more refined) - or why the first star wars series was fresher, although it was cheesy as hell in comparison to the latest series. but there was nothing like it that predates it. it was grounbreaking. the same way FTD56, LSD 3, Hondo and the like were groundbreaking when they did their wack filled in stick letters with an arrow coming off the side......know whut um sprayin!

I pre-ordered Birth of Graffiti, and it got here today. Alot of fresh, never before seen flics.

I got Faith of Graffiti when I was 13 it made me appreciate the art of writing so much more, and rethink my whole approach to graff.

I hope this book does the same for today's toys, like the imbecil who just posted the ridiculous comment about the old school being wack.

I have another page out of that book you'll want to see. I will scan and post sometime later today. Always good to read what you type.

A student and writer in Boston,ma.