>>> - SYDNEY - NSW - AUSTRALIA - <<<

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • Replies 9.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Home » National » Article

Graffiti artist pleads guilty to vandalism

Livelihood ... *********.

Photo:

AdvertisementAdvertisement

A GRAFFITI art shop owner has pleaded guilty in a Sydney court after vandalising private property using spray paint from his own shelves.

When

******************* opened the********graffiti-product shop *******, last September he told The Sun-Herald he was determined to educate the area's youth about the dos and don'ts of "street art".

Responding to public fears that his business would become a one-stop shop for vandals,

******** said: "There will always be a minority who do the wrong thing, who would probably do the wrong thing if the shop was here or not . . . it's our responsibility to try to educate people to use these products for art and not vandalism."

Last Tuesday ******** pleaded guilty in Newtown Local Court to charges of maliciously destroying or damaging property.

The court was told plain-clothes officers from the NSW Police Graffiti Taskforce were in the vicinity of Castle Howard Drive, Beecroft Reserve, on July 25 when they spotted two men spray-painting a wall on the M2 motorway.

When the officers approached the pair they recognised ******* as "the owner of a shop that focused on the selling of spray paint and graffiti-related items".

When later questioned by police, he said the spray paint belonged to him. He said that while he didn't have permission to paint at the location he "thought it would be OK".

When The Sun-Herald contacted ******** on Friday, he said: "I pleaded guilty because I did the wrong thing. I don't really want to say any more. I'd prefer it if you didn't write anything. This shop is my livelihood."

Newtown crime manager Detective Inspector Ian Lynch said widespread fears about the shop when it opened last September had been justified.

He said if ******* was involved in "that sort of art and that type of behaviour, then people have every right to feel concerned".

Inspector Lynch said there was no legislation that would force ******* to close the business.

"Here is a man who has pleaded guilty to vandalising private property using products from his own store . . . and yet he is able to continue trading as though it never happened," Inspector Lynch said. "I will let other people decide whether that is right or wrong."

******* will be sentenced at Downing Centre Local Court on September 12.