<<< 12Oz Computer Tech Support SuperThread >>>

Mainter

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

Okay so I opened it and with the little to know electronic knowledge I can see nothing is out of place. Power going to the drive, which I already knew because the drive turns on. I thought maybe the scuzzies might have got knocked loose, or maybe a pin was bent. I can see nothing wrong with this. The connections from the port to the card are both solid...

I don't really mind throwing it away. It has about 20 gigs of music though. Several skate vids, pictures, some programs, some other shit...

I dunno I'd just like to work it out. I could always just hook up the drive somehow to something else right?

Okay so I opened it and with the little to know electronic knowledge I can see nothing is out of place. Power going to the drive, which I already knew because the drive turns on. I thought maybe the scuzzies might have got knocked loose, or maybe a pin was bent. I can see nothing wrong with this. The connections from the port to the card are both solid...

I don't really mind throwing it away. It has about 20 gigs of music though. Several skate vids, pictures, some programs, some other shit...

I dunno I'd just like to work it out. I could always just hook up the drive somehow to something else right?

go to a friends house who has ieee 1394. test it out there.

we never failed you.

I think the only probs i've come here with were my codec issue and the satellite radio issue.

I ended up fixing the codec issue (not with any lead from you guys). And i guess you didn't technically fail me withthe satellite radio one, but you didn't succed either.

Just sayin, you know i love you.

I think the only probs i've come here with were my codec issue and the satellite radio issue.

I ended up fixing the codec issue (not with any lead from you guys). And i guess you didn't technically fail me withthe satellite radio one, but you didn't succed either.

Just sayin, you know i love you.

with the satellite radio thing, you may tell your g/f to hold on. xm and sirius might merge soon.

no internet at work. i'm using (with permission) the cafe's across the way. the signal is coming across really weak and cuts out on a regular basis, i just want to know if there's anything i can do to pick up the signal any better....

there's a neat pen antenna you can make.

http://wireless.gumph.org/content/4/3/011-mini-wireless-antenna.html

1. Strategic positioning - Say you want to cover a floor with WiFi. There’s no point having your wireless access point in the corner of the room because the area that it can then distribute a signal to is much reduced. Instead, plan out where you want to cover and work out where the best place is to station your router. If you have a nice big open, flat office space then I would recommend setting up the router in the middle of the floor. This way the omni-directional antenna (an type of antenna that radiates the signal) can distribute more evenly over a greater area. In a duplex situation, placing the router on a ceiling in the middle of the building is a good way to radiate the signal further and stronger.
  2. Mount the router on the wall - My WiFi coverage was at it’s worst when I had my router sitting at the back of my desk. If you want to boost the signal, a cheap and easy way to do so is to simply wall-mount the thing. This will increase the distance between it and all the possible interference around your computer.
  3. Buy an antenna - There are a multitude of booster antennas on the market at very reasonable prices. The idea is that you plug them into your router then direct the signal in a certain direction, in my case, up through the floor to where I needed more coverage. Try using a high gain (gain is the measure of how well the signal is focussed) directional antenna to increase the range and strength of a network in the direction pointed.
  4. Add a powerline extender - Netgear now have a range of powerline extenders that send a signal via a powerline, instead of over an Ethernet cable. Plug one into your router and another into a power socket in a poorly covered area, set it up and away you go. Just be sure that you are all on the same circuit, otherwise it will not work.

here is a list of ideas to boost the signal

http://www.netscape.com/viewstory/2006/09/04/ten-ways-to-boost-your-wi-fi-signal/?url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.voip-sol.com%2F10-ways-to-boost-your-wifi-signal%2F&frame=true