<<< 12Oz Computer Tech Support SuperThread >>>

Mainter

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

ccleaner (it's been psoted before, but i want to keep you guys up to par on security)

http://www.ccleaner.com/

CCleaner is a freeware system optimization and privacy tool. It removes unused files from your system - allowing Windows to run faster and freeing up valuable hard disk space. It also cleans traces of your online activities such as your Internet history. But the best part is that it's fast (normally taking less that a second to run) and contains NO Spyware or Adware! :)

At long last, there's a couple things that have been vexing me. I knew that "all good in the hood" streak wouldn't last long, darn it ...

For some reason, my Linux box (running MEPIS 6.0 rc3) went on the fritz. Gets about halfway through the bootup, then it bricks on me. I'm considering finally going with Slackware, now that I found out my neighbor is running it and has kindly offered to walk me through the ordeal that is installing Slackware. If you've tried to install it, you'll know exactly what I mean...shit's harder than Chinese algebra.

LENS gave me his old Compaq Presario 2266 to revamp...I quadrupled the RAM, and threw a HD with a clean install of Damn Small 3.0 on it...and, same thing, it hangs when I try to xconf, for some reason. It's old, but Xvesa won't even work on it...and, that's practically idiot proof. So, am I an idiot, or is his machine basically a doorstop? I'm still working on it, but this is machine no. 2 that has refused to work w/Linux this summer.

And, if that wasn't enough, my Tiny XP box suddenly started giving me software update screens at boot. This doesn't seem right....and, all I've done is install Opera, JetAudio, Gaim, SLSK, and an old licenced copy of Photoshop on it (I'm seeing how little I can get by with). I know there's something in the registry to turn this off...but, I forgot what it is, and haven't gotten around to looking into it yet. So, I'm taking the easy way out and saying, "HELP!"

Besides that, this Tiny XP install is fantastic. It may be the best OS I've used to date...in that it works with everything, and it's much faster than I could have ever imagined. I still use Linux (when it works) most of the time, so don't worry..I haven't sold all the way out, but I may have to take back some of the nasty things I said about XP. I'm using it right now, in fact.

I'll be back tomorrow...none of the above is high priority, BTW. Just troublesome.

Later.

yea this is what i got planned..

pci exhaust card (pull heat off the x1900xt)

ZALMAN heatsink/fan for the cpu

ZALMAN heatsink/fan for the x1900xt (these fuckers heat up fast)

then ill probably upgrade the fans of the case to a higher RPM. with better contollers.

im the type that doesnt mind the fan noise.

What was your question?

Ok, here it is again:

On this computer, one click = two clicks a lot of the time. I'll click on the "back" arrow in firefox and it will take me back two pages. If I have two windows open and the X's are lined up, it'll close two windows instead of one. It's driving me crazy. Casek, you posted some fix about a php file, but I don't know where it is and I wanted to know how that will fix the problem, why the problem occured in the first place, and how to avoid it in the future.

Ok, here it is again:

On this computer, one click = two clicks a lot of the time. I'll click on the "back" arrow in firefox and it will take me back two pages. If I have two windows open and the X's are lined up, it'll close two windows instead of one. It's driving me crazy. Casek, you posted some fix about a php file, but I don't know where it is and I wanted to know how that will fix the problem, why the problem occured in the first place, and how to avoid it in the future.

update your firefox. should be fixed by now.