boston's sketch thread

QueaZyFunK

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • Replies 8.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

btw really all this is in the eye of the beholder, you can only learn so much from somebody before you gotta figure it out yourself, so why not just skip that step n do it for delf? since when did older writers form a "big brother" program? i know of a few younger cats that when i tell em, so n so place got rocked, its ill...the response is often ..." did u meet anyone there" , n i think to myself (instead of illin on said kid) why the fuck would i want to meet someone...A. this aint show n tell, and B. what we do is fuckin illeagl so if i see someone in the distance im not hangin around to say what up, day spot ,night spot ,streets, on the bus...fuck that....keep it to chance...you wanna be influenced? look at the walls, look at a piece n dysect that shit from starrin at it...its like forensics , you can learn alot if you open your eyes n think for yourself, if your with a crew with an older cat reppin, consider yourself lucky...if your in a crew that was started n them people are around you still doin it...consider your selfs hard workers....but if you think that older writers should be more engauged with the younger cats...understand older people do become untuned and detached to what the younger people get down with, and that could be on purpose....so leave it at that, we live in a city with no trust, the vandal squad is fuckin outa control, and theres too much info commin across the internet......this is not new york, theres not a million joe shmoe's in this city tryin to ge up...only a few hundred so that means at some time or another people gonna c each other, n if shit pops off positivly, then so be it....but just work hard, get that spot, n keep it movin.....cause seriously most the niggas you meet anyways will just be fuckin dust in the wind ....hope that blabbering made sense...i just wanted to say some shit cause the topic has been goin for a bit

@ freak imma have to agree that cats painting in the 60- 80's i'd consider old skool although i dont know if anybody was painting in the 60's on some graffiti tip.

@ mind your blabbering made plenty of sense and i was painting in 98 but dont call me an old foegy...............lol

@ spier that batman shit is funny and im feeln it

this whole topic is fun and it has kept the shit talking and beef to a minimum so i'm ok with it.

One thing about boston graff is this if you deserve respect you'll get it. I'm not gonna diss the whole internet thing cuz i use the internet so to talk shit would be funny for me. But one thing is true no matter how many sketches you post it dont mean nothing till it's seen on the walls of boston, cambridge etc. legal or illegal.

But to keep the convo goin............................zone, click, saint, wombat, all old school writers painting when the elevated trains wereup. come on some body name a few.................................................lol

"@ mind your blabbering made plenty of sense and i was painting in 98 but dont call me an old foegy...............lol"

u know i was just kiddin, but seriously, id consider phelt an old school writer, but cause thats what i was peepin 10years ago, id say 10years plus in such a small city id consider old school....

i saw some brand new stuff from someone who i heard was locked up....good for him (made my day)!!! im sure yall know...i could be late

BEAT LA!!!

Wombat told me he did not consider himself oldschool, though he started writing for real around '86. Target told me the same thing, and he started around a similar time. Those guys credited lots of people, too many for me to name now but info's out there nowadays, but I always constructed my definition of old school from that, because those were two of the oldest writers I met coming up. Basically anyone who was active pre '86 can rock the old school stamp in my book. I am a newjack forever.

Of the many true oldschool writers from Boston that've left their mark on my brain, Click, Zone, Maze, Saint and Romeo are the most prominent, and Sr.One from around my way. Detect, Jayroc, Cease, Mkay, Rival, Temp, Hate, Sway, Prank, Secret, Times & XMan are among some of the other prominent old names I saw around when I was learning shit 92 - onward (some of them might not be officially oldschool) that I recognized or found out were old cats. I've heard many other names too but like I said that info's out there and it's second hand from me.

edit: Mach and Net were two older writers I noticed too.

edit 2: how could I forget fuckin Sly!

we also got to figure we are in 2010 now, and the scene has reversed so drastically that i feel like a lot of the toys you see paintin on the streets today haven't made enough of a recognition and statement to even be remembered 5 or 10 years from now.. just like how we are naming off writers from the late 80's 90s.. i guess eventually even the new school late 80's and 90's writers eventually become old school as well..

just another generation, more stories.. but at this state in time, not enough heads are paintin on the street anymore, i mean we got a lot of pieces, thats ill too but we arent bombing like the people we look up to and remembere did..

i guess everything was different those days, i mean look at hip hop a lot of that went to shit too

Guest JohnLester#31

Music wise;

WU, BCC, The Roots I would consider to be Veterans,

Oldschool to me is KRS, Bestie, EPMD.

Oldschool->Vets

Creators->Builders

"From Crush one:

We ran shit so hard they could never catch us. We use to climb onto the roof of Ashmont Station and bomb the skylights...rockin our tags backwards so when you look up all you see is CRUSH and NET!...EVRYWHERE...almost every skylight. Shit was crazy.

We called the Buffmastes B-nice. B-nice was couldnt clean up behind us fast enough.

Goin to grimey ass Shawmut station, jumpin down on the inbound side so we could hit the sides of the outboung trains when the stop to pick up passengers. Crazy shit!

Standin on the connectors of the Green Line trolley holding on the the windshield wipers goin through the tunnel systems.

1972-mbta_915744fa12.jpg

When payphones got incoming calls we use to walk around with a list of numbers...you could call any payphone where writers hung out and get a writer on the phone to go bombin. It was like a whole network...from Mattapan all the way to Brookline.

Me and START are contributed to the reason Johnson's Paint in Back Bay started putting the cans in a locked cage. We use to come UP!"

^^^^^^^^^^

to whoever up there said, "We cant forget, this is 2010"

Remember back in 1999, 2000, etc. and you get amped when you see a 93 Alert tag, let alone a KOAL-era alert with the curly T tag from 88-89, and you got amped that you had caught the right angle to see that faded pentax tag??

its crazy to think that these new kids will feel the same way about shit going down in 1999-2000 when they happen to catch that shit still runnin...

just recently me and wisogee had a get together where click brought all his old blackbooks. imo he has to be one the illest stylest this city has birthed. aside from click, wombat holds a place in my heart for my all time fav piece... the subvert style that blazed high and mighty for years. I was fortunate enough to come up under some of boston's elite... but as many did and still do i never tried to imitate them but got into my own flow and it shows. I like the fact some older heads are brushing dust off recently but i also feel theres many writers painting a distinctive look that has become the norm. i have first hand seen a shift in style this city has taken since early 2000 along w/ many writers who i once admired not really go as hard anymore. i still respect them because im a firm believer of if they did it once there capable of doing it again. I do agree it is a new day and everything from landscape to laws have changed. Boston graff will never be what it was in it conception but there is no reason original style shouldnt be flexed. whether your a bookworm, bomber or a production writer we all play a role in this boston graffiti scene.... I do agree older heads should lend a hand to the younger generation but realize graff is just something respected amongst us peers. Theres many others in my situation... imagine me painting and going to work showing my co-workers what i did before going into a board meeting.... they'll look @ me crazy. we are graffiti artist not celebrities, we paint on walls and enjoy doing it. you feel the new generation isn't representing spread the knowledge. w/ my ramble i bring you a sketch.

sketch22-1.jpg

• Like 3