graffito? wtf

Guest serpent of the light

Guest serpent of the light

i talk to robots online since i have no friends, and i learned something:

XviewerlikeyouX: define graffiti

SmarterChild: Definition for graffiti provided by The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition. Copyright © 2000 by Houghton Mifflin Company. Other important copyright information

NOUN

(used with a sing. or pl. verb) See graffito.

ETYMOLOGY

Italian pl. of graffito. See GRAFFITO.

NOUN

Inflected forms: pl. -ti (-te)

A drawing or inscription made on a wall or other surface, usually so as to be seen by the public. Often used in the plural.

>>> Type "more" to see the rest of the definition for "graffiti."

XviewerlikeyouX: more

SmarterChild: Definition for graffiti continued:

ETYMOLOGY

Italian diminutive of graffio, a scratching, scribble, probably from graffiare, to scratch, scribble, probably from Vulgar Latin * graphiare, to write with a stylus, from Latin graphium, stylus, from Greek grapheion, graphion, from graphein, to write. See gerbh-.

USAGE NOTES

The word graffiti is a plural noun in Italian. In English graffiti is far more common than the singular form graffito and is mainly used as a singular noun in much the same way data is. When the reference is to a particular inscription (as in There was a bold graffiti on the wall), the form graffito would be etymologically correct but might strike some readers as pedantic outside an archaeological context. There is no substitute for the singular use of graffiti when the word is used as a mass noun to refer to inscriptions in general or to the related social phenomenon. The sentence "Graffiti is a major problem for the Transit Authority Police" cannot be reworded Graffito is ... (since graffito can refer only to a particular inscription) or Graffiti are ... (which suggests that the police problem involves only the physical marks and not the larger issue of vandalism). In such contexts, the use of graffiti as a singular is justified by both utility and widespread precedent.

i thought that was interesting atleast.

xxx303

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

Archived