A Question for anyone thats good with computers

Grandpa

Ok, so I got my buddies 8mm videotapes from when we were in high school converted to DVDs. Now I want to put these DVDs onto my computer as video files so I can edit them and put some feeds on my website. Is there any easy way to do this?

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
Originally posted by Grandpa@Mar 17 2005, 04:04 PM

Ok, so I got my buddies 8mm videotapes from when we were in high school converted to DVDs. Now I want to put these DVDs onto my computer as video files so I can edit them and put some feeds on my website. Is there any easy way to do this?

No!

Once all of the raw video files and the menus etc. used in making a dvd are actually processed into a dvd, they no longer exist as an actual video file.

It's like making scrambled eggs, then wanting to make the egg whole again. Once it's mixed, there's no turning back.

The company that converted it probably does have the original files, but getting them might be hard.

What I do is hook up my mini dv camera to a vcr or dvd player, then record the footage, then I bring that footage into my computer.

There I can use it in DVD studio pro to make dvds. I capture it through firewire and edit it with final cut pro.

Hope this helps.

Guest diggity
Originally posted by AW+Mar 18 2005, 11:29 AM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (AW - Mar 18 2005, 11:29 AM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteBegin-Grandpa@Mar 17 2005, 04:04 PM

No!

Once all of the raw video files and the menus etc. used in making a dvd are actually processed into a dvd, they no longer exist as an actual video file.

It's like making scrambled eggs, then wanting to make the egg whole again. Once it's mixed, there's no turning back.

The company that converted it probably does have the original files, but getting them might be hard.

What I do is hook up my mini dv camera to a vcr or dvd player, then record the footage, then I bring that footage into my computer.

There I can use it in DVD studio pro to make dvds. I capture it through firewire and edit it with final cut pro.

Hope this helps.

[/b]

your absolutly 100% wrong.

you should be able to rip the dvd and convert it with out a problem, i do it all the time. nothing is jumbled together, its just a matter of extracting the chapter you want. what kind of computer are you running?

on a mac you'd use handbrake to do it. If your on a PC im sure there are a TON of programs that will do it, since that kinda thing usually comes out on PC way before it gets to mac. If they put some sort of copywrite protection on it then you'll need something to take that off, again if your on a mac, theres something called MacTheRipper, but you'll still have to use handbreak to convert it.

Archived