Don't Call it Frisco

RevoL

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
Its crazy, you would think that the generation of kids that came up after this era would be a higher caliber but it seems like there getting worse and worse as years go on...:confused: Frisco will never be as dope as it was in the 90's period.[/QU

I have a theory....

It has to do with the economy at the time. Think about it, graffiti is a reflection of the conditions in the streets, it corolates directly to the raw realities of the city at the time. In the early/mid 90's, I think most cities were still dealing with some authentic struggles. In other words, the country was not yet emersed in an insanely inflated bubble of false value and confusion (as it has been for the last 10 years ). Since that time we as a country (and especially city dwellers) have been slowly led to a more and more unauthentic reality as far as socio-economic status. The result? unauthentc and false GRAFFITI. Without real suffering and subsequent struggle in the city, real graffiti (as a reaction to that struggle) evaporates.

Given our current status in the nation, real struggle is right around the corner, I believe we may be on the cusp of a new era. The hour just before dawn is the darkest.

Its crazy, you would think that the generation of kids that came up after this era would be a higher caliber but it seems like there getting worse and worse as years go on...:confused: Frisco will never be as dope as it was in the 90's period.[/QU

I have a theory....

It has to do with the economy at the time. Think about it, graffiti is a reflection of the conditions in the streets, it corolates directly to the raw realities of the city at the time. In the early/mid 90's, I think most cities were still dealing with some authentic struggles. In other words, the country was not yet emersed in an insanely inflated bubble of false value and confusion (as it has been for the last 10 years ). Since that time we as a country (and especially city dwellers) have been slowly led to a more and more unauthentic reality as far as socio-economic status. The result? unauthentc and false GRAFFITI. Without real suffering and subsequent struggle in the city, real graffiti (as a reaction to that struggle) evaporates.

Given our current status in the nation, real struggle is right around the corner, I believe we may be on the cusp of a new era. The hour just before dawn is the darkest.

werd. thats a good point. like the earths climate, graffiti moves up and down. right now we are just in a decline. i was only in diapers around the time dagmar took all those picture, but even so, those make me want to go paint more than the stuff i see today.

...and, if dagmar made a book, it'd prolly do better than funks book. not hating, but just stating my opinion.

Re: Don't Call it Frisco

I have a theory....

my take on this issue is a complex one. i feel like there are a few key factors that led to the demise of style and more importantly an overall desire to get "good" and stay "good".

the first is that prior to early 2000's shit ran. when things run it motivates people to outdo what they see, and if they know they cant they try until they can. also when you are surrounded by tons of dope pieces, tags and throwups on a daily basis i think you sort of absorb it through a sort of osmosis. its no different than when there is a feeling in the air at any given place and time where a sub-cultural phenomenon is happening wherein everyone participating just seems to emerge effortlessly at the top of their game (grunge in seattle early 90's, pop art in NY 60's etc etc..). when the soul is sucked out from being watered down and the inspiration dissolves via the buff your left with a void of authenticity.

the second is that these days people don't treat graffiti as a true craft. its not really their faults though. the responsibility to show the fundamentals to the up and comers falls on the shoulders of the older generations. instead of embracing the newjacks and showing them whats-what, what happened was in the early 2000's we had the KUK trials. this partially brainwashed a once tolerant city that was recently post 9/11 and slipping into the GW Bush cowboy take on politics into thinking that maybe this graffiti stuff was really bad, almost terrorist in nature. prior to that we were enjoying the most financially lucrative time the city had ever seen with the dot-com boom under a liberal Clinton government. its easy to enjoy and be tolerant of the fruits of culture when the times are good and easy to demonize and eradicate them when times get tough.

so with that setting the stage for social attitudes in the early 2000's it drove away people who were once dedicated to the true craft of graffiti, or "academics" as they once regarded themselves in early NYC days. there now was too much at stake for the average writer once felonies had set the precedent for penalties in the courts. unfortunately the people with the most to lose are generally those with all the experience that should be passed down to the new kids to help mold them by giving them to tools to shape their views and direction in this craft.

it was the older generations responsibility to give them outlines, tell them when their shit sucks and more importantly why it does so they can fix it, take them to spots and show them how to do things in general. most of them didn't live up to it. so, we were left with a void in understanding in the youngsters. they were forced to figure it out vicariously through pictures and the internet. both of those means of teaching are as impersonal as being raised by a television while mommy and daddy work. that lazy method of teaching/learning results in a lack of character, authenticity and a general sense of a true understanding of how things could be. don't get me wrong though.. there are definitely some kids that emerged just fine and some older dudes that stuck around and tried to do the right thing. i'm not saying its all a wash but rather that it could have turned out better than it did.

ok, i rambled enough. im just overly idealistic with this shit and wish it turned out differently. not that i consider myself the authority on this shit, but when i push ideas and post flicks its more in an effort to breathe some authenticity back into this game. i dont know why but i cant just let it go..

-dagmar onasis iii esq.

Re: Don't Call it Frisco

" there now was too much at stake for the average writer once felonies had set the precedent for penalties in the courts. unfortunately the people with the most to lose are generally those with all the experience that should be passed down to the new kids to help mold them by giving them to tools to shape their views and direction in this craft. "

this. in an ironic twist, making graffiti a felony didnt stop it, just made alot more of it look like shit.