super8mm

Mr. Mang

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

a guy I know is one of the foremost historians on the super8 format.

He finds all types of shit on ebay and rebuilds them. He's actually build cameras

for Bruce McDonald and Aton Agoyen.

Plus he's revised the format to be 'superduper8' which widens the gate

and gives you a ture widescreen aspect ratio with a standard super8 cartridge.

Atom Egoyan is fresh..

That superduper8mm dealy sounds really cool, is that format on the market Kilo? Or is dude accomplished it through tweakage?

I don't have anything to contribute (i've only shot with 16mm and digital), sorry.

I would like to get into using super8mm some day. It seems like the cost effective way to go for aspiring film diddlers.

I've since eradicated the idea of shooting anything worth looking at digitally, although those 24fp cameras are supposedly hot shit (according to my friend). But still.. Digital looks so bleh.

I rock the still cameras and prefer obnoxiously large formats, I use a Toyo 4x5 and just dropped too much money on a mamiya 645, so I'm all about big film.

BUT, provided I knew more about super8 I would be more motivated to pick up one of the thousands of super 8 cameras I see at thrift stores and start shooting.

How hard is it to get super 8 film and do they make transparency film for super8? Like to avoid the whole having prints of yours film made?

Mang>I'm formly MisPantalones...

the superduper8mm has to be built.

he makes lots of cameras and might be on ebay.

i'm in the film vs. digital argument every day.

I think film ourists are a lot like people who still dont think

looped and sampled music counts as 'music'. there is no logical argument

to make them see the other side. Lets just say this......

I can make digital look exactly like film and only the best trained eyes will notice the difference.

even on whip pans.

Guest BROWNer

i have a camera and have shot a super minor amount...

mostly due to the fact it's silly expensive. plus trying to

wade through the already miniscule market for working

equipment..ugh. i have found quite a few old ass footage reels

though......good for mining imagery.

Originally posted by velocet@Jan 5 2005, 04:10 PM

I should add that digital looks pretty wicked sometimes when you're editing it on an avid or final cut.. But wait til that shit is blown up and playing on a big screen or even on a television and your shit will be looking heinous.

Can't say I agree with that. I had a short that was shot on the Panasonic DVX-100 ("Fancy 24p camera") shown at a festival and looked pretty solid.

And television? It definitely looks solid. I think once it would be blown up to 35mm it might end up looking shoddy.

They're already shooting Hollywood films on HD. Last Samurai, Shaun of the Dead, Collatoral etc. et.c

I'm a big fan of video, but given the proper budget would go 16mm in a second.

Originally posted by <KEY3>@Jan 5 2005, 07:06 PM

there is no logical argument

to make them see the other side. Lets just say this......

I can make digital look exactly like film and only the best trained eyes will notice the difference.

even on whip pans.

Hey now, I am a rational person, if someone proves me wrong I tend to change my opinions. I have a tiny working knowledge of editing compared to a lot of heads out there so if you say you can make digital look like film may I ask how? I'm just curious..

Someone please school me.

Guest BROWNer

velocet, if you ever come over here for a visit, you can borrow

my camera and funk around with it. like i said though, the film

is pricey..if you are in the know, there are apparently ways to get

cheaper film, like through co-ops and such, but..

Archived