...a general discussion...

porque

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

...one thing that anyone who ever had a crit class with me learned is that if your work sucks, i'm not gonna say shit...but if i think it's on the verge of something, i'm gonna criticize the hell out of it...because nodding and agreeing with someone isn't going to do shit, but telling 'em how shit is will...art isn't as subjective as most of you think...go to art school for four years and you'll learn this real quick...

...personal story...i was making work that i really felt strongly about...poured my heart into...and one of my professors called me out, and said my stuff sucked...at first i was mad...then i realized they were right...my work got a lot better after that...if all people do is stroke your dick and tell you how awesome you are, you'll never get better...

Originally posted by porque@Mar 18 2005, 05:45 AM

...one thing that anyone who ever had a crit class with me learned is that if your work sucks, i'm not gonna say shit...but if i think it's on the verge of something, i'm gonna criticize the hell out of it...because nodding and agreeing with someone isn't going to do shit, but telling 'em how shit is will...art isn't as subjective as most of you think...go to art school for four years and you'll learn this real quick...

...personal story...i was making work that i really felt strongly about...poured my heart into...and one of my professors called me out, and said my stuff sucked...at first i was mad...then i realized they were right...my work got a lot better after that...if all people do is stroke your dick and tell you how awesome you are, you'll never get better...

I don’t think you need 4 years of art school to teach you that if you are open enough to see it going on and are exposed to places like this.

Plus I have heard so many stories of people needing to UN-learn things art school taught them. It all depends on your intent on where you want your art to go, if I wanted to get gallery play and sell my shit via that type of avenue I would go the school route ... not for the teaching but the networking. That’s what it takes to get into the gallery scene. imho .....

What if it’s just a lifestyle to have an outlet for your passion ...fuck trying to fit a mold or beak the mold to sell the work or get it in a museum?

Like the Futurists standing in front of the museums yelling to burn them down!!!!!!

...wow...somehow we actually got back to the original topic...kinda...

...it's true that you don't need to go through school or show in galleries to make work...you can sit at home by yourself and 'express' yourself all you want, but that doesn't mean thta what you are doing is Art...it's more like a hobby...Art is a game...you're either playing it or your standing on the side doing something that looks kinda like Art but isn't...kinda like standing in a playground kicking a basketball at a fence, you're not exactly playing basketball...but what i said is that Art is not as subjective as you may think and exposure to lots of works and critical dialouge about work over the course of study makes this very apparent...

...and please don't try to use the futurists or any other 'anti-art' movement as an example of anything...that stuff is just as Art as picasso...you can tell because it's now in the very same museums they were all trying to protest against...

...i can't believe i missed that gem about your family friend being in their fifties...that makes the story that much better...and me that much more certain that those photos were way more intresting than their ceramics...

..i probably sound like an asshole...

i've written 5 different, complete replies to this thread, but none of them really say what i want. which makes me think it doesn't need to be said.

mostly i just agree with porque...art isn't really subjective. anyone who preaches that lovey-dovey bullshit is a shitty artist who needs to widen the spectrum of aceptibility in order to fit their horse-shit projects through it.

• 2 weeks later...

I think this thread is an amazing read, very interesting things being said/discussed.

Low brow is on the rise as becoming a more accepted form of art right now. Public art is on its way to reaching its status as it did in the eighties, there are more and more shows being organized world wide, more companies are giving writers/street artisits contracts to design clothes with "cool" "hip" and "trendy(graffiti is currently heading to a peak)" a few years back only third rail was doing graff shirt prints now stussy, insight and numerous other co.s are following suit.

Once something becomes popular and trendy(the two are essentially the same) it hits a peak and then falls. I think that within the end of this decade another form of self expression will take the limelight, graffiti will take a backseat and possibly another lowbrow/outside art form will take hold...Hell maybe everyone will be a expressionist painter! who knows.

Whenever i head to art openings in general, high or low, i always hope to have a conversation with some important person who has power and can push me ahead without me having to do anything. Sure i would expect more powerful people to be at high art openings, and most of the time they are there because its high society. The rich and powerful stick to their own, once they reach that level it would be pointless to fall back down.

High and Low art could very well be compared to heaven and hell(open to interpratation). Once you are up in the clouds you dont want to fall and end up in a hole of hell. High/heaven is wonderful, your colligues are rich and powerfull so your life is easy because you know money aint a problem. Life is easy, once you are established as being "high-class" everyone will want a piece of you because of the hype. You could be a decent painter but impress that one person who could give you everything in the world, and then you may gain some confidence and become the next monet or rembrandt...life is out of your hands.

Low/lucifero is terrible. Its overcrowded with people that could decide they hate art and quit but take up space for those that truely enjoy art. There is no money as a result, the competition is too stiff. Youve got people that decided to pick up a pencil one day and be an artisit; youve also got people who have been creative since the day they were born and strive to head up to the clouds in high heaven.

I think high art is just a vip of artisits who have shown and proved they deserve to be in heaven.

We all start out in hell.

i think a balance of the two is the best,

i find that a little guidance as far as technical aspects, either from a mentor or a teacher is a good thing. but i believe my personal love for art and whatever talent i may have is streetbred, i look up to the people who take risks with thier work and really dont give a fuck, streetbred artists do it for the love of creation and not for the ends, the final product is merly a keepsake, the process is what makes everything worth it.

my teacher/mentor told me the other day

"you're gonna get mugged if you keep taking photos in back alleys and crack houses" i told her

"yeah, but i'll kick my own ass if i ever end up doing landscapes and gallery safe bullshit"

eh..just my take on it all.

*edit..still cant spell

Originally posted by IzacFour@Apr 14 2005, 03:42 AM

Whats the difference between high end art and all other art?

Money.

Yep yep yep.

High class, high society, high art are based around success which usualy means having means to make ends......

just look at basquiat for example.

crossed over from low to high with no art training, dude never finished high school. Became mega famous because of his hype and uniqueness, met the right people, became a member of high society basically coming off the streets.

If you saw his art (not all of it but a lot of it) and had never heard of him you would think he was handicapped or insane.

Suprised nobody gave an example of him earlier, he is actually this conversation in a person.