Northwest Superthread II(without crappy flicks)

RATT

fuck, whos tryna go paint pm me............or don't:D

also heres a nice little inspiring read I found on tacoma graff then and now by: modem

Home Invite Forums Albums Polls Videos SignupLogin

The Tacoma, Washington Graffiti Scene.

Through the Eyes of Modem.

"You had Atlas and Rems doin' full color burners on rooftops. Even a couple of random gang members were puttin in work back in the day "lil blacky" and "el creeper", ha! Clone and Dkon killin it as well as various other heads. All the style and constant bombing I'd see made wanna get out there more."

Being a graffiti writer is like living a double life. On one end your goin thru the daily grind/on the other your out at night leaving your mark on the city. I've always liked the idea of being "Faceless But Famous". Only the people involved understand it and thats appealing to me. Anyone can play basketball but it takes a certain type of person to become a writer. Whether your a toy or have been in it for years remember your in a minority of the human race.

With that said, i often think aboutTacoma's graffiti scene past vs. present. This isnt a well thought out thing just typed the first shit that came to my mind, its not an indepth look at shit. So fuck off.

Now this isn't a dig at new school artists or old school heads, its simply a quick comparison from my point of view on the similarities and differences.

I started writing graffiti in 1999. Thats forever ago, but when i first made my attempt at painting there was so much competition, not only in style but wall space. Back when the underworld was worth walking through you had CD, TITS, TN, and various other crews killin shit weekly. I used to be in awe looking at some new Deal, Mack, Ruin or Clown shit.

"the underworld then, DEAL"

Even the streets had plenty of work on 'em. Me and cable were out at night doin damage and so were a bunch of other people. There was always some new shit on I-5 and in the city. You had Atlas and Rems doin' full color burners on rooftops. Even a couple of random gang members were puttin in work back in the day "lil blacky" and "el creeper", ha! Clone and Dkon killin it as well as various other heads. All the style and constant bombing I'd see made wanna get out there more.

"the underworld then, GOTOO"

Nowadays I'm not really inspired by much. The way it usually goes is the scene dies for a few months and then it blows up and repeats the cycle. But it seems in the past years the scene in tacoma has been dwindeling. Theres more people focusing on piecing under bridges and at the garages instead of gettin' up. Now, I'm no hypocrite I don't do nearly as much damage as i used to, ha, so dont get it twisted, but its a true statement. There is a small handful of heads puttin in work on the streets, but theres so many writers. Imagine if all of us went out for one night.

"the underworld now"

But this brings me to my next point, alot of the new school heads think they get to talk shit on the older heads because they aren't up. There's no respect anymore. It's like just cause a toy has his name eveywhere he gets to hate on (insert dope writers name) because his name isn't in the streets anymore. But these same haters will meet the older heads and get all star struck and ask to get down. That shit always cracks me up. Now, i get the mentality. Graffiti is an illegal act. Ask any hardcore bomber what he thinks off clean legal painters and he'll call em bitches. A hardcore bomber in my opinion tends to be an elitest. They might have the shittiest throw up and bad can control, but they feel like they are graffiti purests and because there more up than you, you ain't shit. Now i dont know why anyone else got into this, for me it was to be able paint pieces like the ones I saw in magazines. Fame is the after effect of effort put in. For a bomber there out only for fame there has to be a balance. I love bombing but I also love chillin at a wall and taking my time. Whos ever been jealous of a bombers style? ha.

Quick sidebar: people starting there own crews.

Now this is something everyone does, but it takes alot of work and years to establish a crew. A crew is only as important as the people in it and if the people in your crew aint shit, your crew aint shit. Just my opinion. All the new kids got three letters next to there name but its just them and a couple of other toys reppin. Not to mention trying to beef with larger crews, I mean I always tend to paint better with people that are better than me. How do you step your game up when you and your crew mates are struggling with straight letters and drips? I'm not saying go out of your way to attach yourself to a writer or a crew you look up to, but it wouldnt hurt. Remember, just cause you bought some paint and have a crew you and your homie started it doesnt make you a writer. step your game up.

Fuck writing anymore... I'm goin to get a beer.

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • Replies 58.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• joshu

• BRYSO DISCO

• buckbang

• oe800