Old Cans Of Paint, Serious Collectors

Slyle CMC

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • Replies 5.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Yo Jib is all your stuff from USA or is there something from UK?(except the mini-humbrol)

Do you have old Carplan and UK cans?

No man - I gave all my old stash to my crew to use up when I moved in '98. Damn I wish I had some of my old stuff still... Mostly the old Auto Chem chromes (SO FAT!), plus some Cycle Style & Home Style paints would go down a treat.

;)

Photo & knowledge taken from http://www.shok1.com/shokthen/

cans-500x237.jpg

"Maybe 20 different brands from a time when it was still a real mission to get hold of a decent range of colours in England. Working around all the reactions from overlapping different paint formulations was a real chess game.

In the mix you can see some original Marabu Buntlacks with the horizontal logo, the choice of 80’s Euro kings. Then there are some bland England car paint colours vs vibrant German car paints. I never really figured out why they’d want a mauve or purple motor but cheers for the colours anyway.

Standing black and proud in the front is a French Sparvar picked up from our Parisian friend Simonz - he’d bring us a carrier bag over every time he’d go back to visit his fam.

The foot soldiers of the army are some classic standbys of the British scene - filthy Japlac enamel, Stonechip black and Finnigan’s Smoothrite from before they ruined it. Most British 80’s / early 90’s graffiti was outlined with it - black, white, blue, green, red, yellow and that’s your lot. I recall Vulcan from NY saying it was the best outline paint in the world."

Shok1

^ I'm lucky to have had the chance to watch Shok1 paint on a number of occasions since we both originated from the same city in the UK. Amazed to have just found this quote & can shot to add to this thread!

I have some Horizontal Logo Marabus, there is still some in Gand, Belgium!

Auto-K and Sparvar, of course well known.

But i have never seen the other cans.

It must have been pretty hard to rack toy design cans? I hardly found 5 cans by store here, with female caps. Or 100ml cans.

She One is legit, though.

I find it funny that some collectors don't like the limited ed. cans, because this paint is made by writers, as opposed to some corporate entity with focus groups dedicated to finding out what shade of shitty green is most appealing to housewives this year.

That being said, I don't own one collectible can so who am I to talk.

Got some new stuff, but at this point it has been lots of doubles or just better versions of what I have. Did come across a couple rusto fed safety yellows, which means all I need now is the fed safety white to round off that collection. Gotta get to reorganizing shit, even though I moved almost a year ago, still don't have everything back out.

How many cans do you have? And how many brands?

I don't keep every color of a brand, 'cause there's not a lot of crazy colors in most of european old brands, except 2 or 3, like Alac/Altona or Belton.

It's getting harder and harder to find old cans, every old store has closed during the last 5/10 years. I gotta ask old people when i meet them, bicycling in little cities...

In Belgium Motip/Dupli-color is everywhere, and they replace old stocks by their new ones.

I got like 2000 cans, maybe more, and like 1000 brands. Some color-charts, some ads, but only two racks, they are so hard to find...

Its the same here. Probably sitting on a 1000 or more in the collection, than a stock of several thousand for sale/trade. I really need to start listing shit on ebay, or moving some of these cans. Can prices are shit, and I am still acquiring cans through various means every week. Racks and signs are not easy to come by, most of my nicer ones have come off ebay the past 7-8 years. I did however find a nice old spot that had been closed for years that I got one 50's rusto display, 3 identical late 50's krylon displays, 2 light up 50's rusto signs, various posters and paperwork and only 3 cans of 1980 rusto and krylon. Occasionaly I see signs in stores but only about 1/2 the time I can come home with them. I know of a few local spots that have some real nice signs they will not sell. Just hope I get to them before they go out of buisness....

It has happened, like three times, that old store-keeper didn't want to sell me anything in their shop. I was like "hey i give you money, these cans are here for like 30 or 40 years, what the fuck" you know, but i don't know, it seems their old wives are gone dead, and they want to keep everything in place like 1976. Damn.

I have never seen any specific display, signs, or stuff, except Auto-K, and maybe Novemail, but only cans.

Gotta keep after those old codgers. Sometimes they thaw a little on your third or fourth visit if you kept it low pressure. Or at least keep tabs so you're right there when they finally go out of business.

I had an old guy who wouldn't budge on some cans, but the third time around he was out fishing and his wife was minding the store. She was easier to work with.

No doubt cracked, had a spot with some soup cans at first the guy did not want to sell them because they were too old, had to swipe one, but then when I picked out a shit load of other cans he through in the soup cans, all for only a couple bucks each....score

or you can be like the kids in the south and just pull a kick door....

Archived