Freights Compared to Subways

Guest Ted Wakowski

Guest Ted Wakowski
HARDCORE CLEAN TRAINS ACTIONS vs HARDCORE FR8 ACTIONS

Doing some hardcore, risk-your-neck shit is definitely honorable and worthy of applause but in the end its like what cracked said; you're losing the essence of what train writing is about.

With freights, they travel, they display, they influence, they form a more permanent subculture than cleans can in today's buff-ridden society. They also remove pesky stains within seconds.

I guess I'm speaking from an American point of view, maybe the cleans ride longer in Australia or certain other countries. Either way, in the USA frieghts are making more of an impact on the graffiti culture than subways or other cleans are. The ebb and flow has shifted in their direction. *I should reitterate that they might one day suffer the same fate as subways, enjoy them while they last.

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
Originally posted by Ted Wakowski

Doing some hardcore, risk-your-neck shit is definitely honorable and worthy of applause but in the end its like what cracked said; you're losing the essence of what train writing is about.

With freights, they travel, they display, they influence, they form a more permanent subculture than cleans can in today's buff-ridden society. They also remove pesky stains within seconds.

I guess I'm speaking from an American point of view, maybe the cleans ride longer in Australia or certain other countries. Either way, in the USA frieghts are making more of an impact on the graffiti culture than subways or other cleans are. The ebb and flow has shifted in their direction. *I should reitterate that they might one day suffer the same fate as subways, enjoy them while they last.

yes true true very good points u hae bought up,4 your infomation cleans usually run for like one day in oz so its not much...i dont know i guess we just dont get off on a freight train with no people in it???

Guest Canadiano

Freights are nothing like subways. If you got up on a subway that ran, you'd be getting actual fame. everyone, from your mom, to your boys, to that cute spanish girl in your class would see that shit. A freight? Only the hobos, other writers, and those trainspotters will see that shit - and then maybe once, and that's it.

Guest HAL

I like both. My major concern is that pictures don't mean much to me. Seeing the actual piece and looking at it up close and seeing it tooling by is the real experience. That's how graffiti is meant to be seen. I understand that flicks are the only legacy for cleans, but without the visual experience, something vital is lost to me. That's not going to stop me from attacking transit at any chance, but flicks aren't as impressive as real life graffiti. I think we can all agree on that.

Originally posted by HAL

I like both. My major concern is that pictures don't mean much to me. Seeing the actual piece and looking at it up close and seeing it tooling by is the real experience. That's how graffiti is meant to be seen. I understand that flicks are the only legacy for cleans, but without the visual experience, something vital is lost to me. That's not going to stop me from attacking transit at any chance, but flicks aren't as impressive as real life graffiti. I think we can all agree on that.

Flicks are reminders, and they keep past days fresh in our memories...

I too am a sucker for a fresh fr8, and seeing the work in first person.

..the new subway?

well from my point of view frieights are cool as they hardly ever buff stuff and nearly every freight I see at least has some tags or throwups on it. But comparing them to clean trains is ridiculous....painting cleans is like sticking two fingers up at the train companies and saying "so what if you buff it were still going to do damage and make you pay to have it removed". People that say flics are not important must be a bit strange....if you spent like an hour on a piece and the next day it gets dogged, what was the point of using that paint if no one gonna see it? By that I mean no one at all. At least with flics you can sit around with you mates have a drink and a smoke whilst laughing about things that happened on the mission. I had my clean train flics stolen but dammit one day i'll find the cunt who stole them and i'll get them back. Until then I am going to hit some more to post on here.

Props to people that paint anything whether it be walls, freights, cleans, tracksides, heavens or whatever just smash it harder and really make the authorities cack themselves.

sorry i didnt read half these posts buuut

i really dont know anything about painting the subways when trains were destroyed. clean trains, thats another story. ive had my share. nyc is locked down so tight compared to yesteryear that its hard to compare 2000 to 1980. back then there were no gates on the yard, to now 6 feet of RAZOR wire and 15 foot fences. layups are monitored on a weekly basis etc.

freights have the same concept of subway cars but its only cause that the way the winds have blown and subways are no longer readily avalible........freights are there so we smash them. no one really paints over our shit so we smash them. they are sometimes layed up in chill spots so we smash them. freights are what everyone hits....so we smash them.

but the smell of a brooklyn manhattan queens or bronx tunnel or the smell of a yard, is nothing like painting a freight. subways were described best by DONDI rip. the smell of steel and your just a little dude trying to create.

dont get me wrong i love my freights, but subways dominate anything anyone ever did on a freight.

what you subway painters dont realize is that it isnt just your flick there are people across the whole country taking flix of your shit and to see you shit in someone else's flick book and not even really know them is far better to me, but i guess you paint what you got.no disrespect to the cleanz,i cant knock it cuz i havent tried it.

1. i think a clean train running with passengers one run to the buff is better than a freight running for a year

4.actually riding your clean train panel is the biggest rush ever because u can sit right next to it and watch everyones expressions about it,u cant do that with a freight.

NOTHING can compare to the feeling of seeing your train pull in at a station slapped in everyones face. seeing the reactions and just having a massive grin on your chops.

They are MUCH more exciting to paint than frieghts. More hardcore goes without saying.

I agree with this. Do both and then base opinions, until then....

• 2 weeks later...
Guest MONSTERKIDZ

i do both and i gottta say its all about the pic,

in both cases i really dont care if the train blows up and is destroyed 5 min after im done

as long as i got my flic

nuffing beets seeing your 'cleen train' pulling into the staition, with dammed souls getting on and off your train... you feel like you own the train, and if anyone thinks different, FUCKEM, you got your name all over that thing, if they can think of a more legit reson why you dont own that train, let em try....... muaahahahahahaha

Originally posted by MONSTERKIDZ

i do both and i gottta say its all about the pic,

in both cases i really dont care if the train blows up and is destroyed 5 min after im done

as long as i got my flic

exactly...

passenger trains for sure, without a doubt!..

There both not hard to paint, u can paint both frights an passenger day and nite. You all have to do ur home work and find the rite spots. Id prefer to see my panels runnin subway then to a frieght . But in the end just mix it up i say paint an destroy everything..:idea:

i dont know why u guys even bother disscusing this matter. to each his own, only those who actually do shit know how it really is, i aint taking sides in this subject. im just saying people who dont know other peoples situations should come to an opinion just because its easier to do something where they live than it is to do others. one last thing i'd like to say is not every city in america has subways. and also not every fr8 layup in america is in the forrest or swamps or hills and whatnot. some places are like passanger train layups for those who live in heavy popuplated areas, fences must be cut and security must be sneaked by. blah blah blah

Guest NOVA

uhhhhhh fuck a clean car, just look at spotted thread, trains go all over hte countrie and dont get buffed if your smart, its such a great feeling when kids from whereevver sweat you online and youve never met them. blah blah blah was soooooooo fresh damn! and you just sit there like yea shit that ws me :king: :king:

• 4 weeks later...
Guest Ted Wakowski

When I started this thread and compared freights to subways, I was comparing the freight scene now to the subways then -- when clean trains weren't clean.

A lot of heads are drawing a comparison based on the differences in what it takes to execute a modern clean train vs. a modern freight. This wasn't really my point. Subways weren't nearly as difficult to paint when they were seeing their most active days. The layups-- as they've been described to me by other writers who've experienced those times and from what I've read about them-- were much closer to (although by no means exactly reflective of) what an average freight layup is like today; you had a threat of being raided that wasn't necessarily imminent, a course of action followed to enter and remain in a yard for a certain amount of time, a set of rules to adhere to concerning conduct, a general sense of precaution and, for the most part, you were able to chill and paint when these things were achieved. There weren't high-tech methods of keeping you out, sophisticated systems of buff technology and overzealous law enforcement units that would stop at nothing to apprehend you.

Based on that type of comparison I still really think that modern freights are about as close as we can get to what "them days" were like.

Archived