Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

1. Welcome to the 12ozProphet Forum...
    You are currently logged out and viewing our forum as a guest which only allows limited access to our discussions, photos and other forum features. If you are a 12ozProphet Member please login to get the full experience.

If you are not a 12ozProphet Member, please take a moment to register to gain full access to our website and all of its features. As a 12ozProphet Member you will be able to post comments, start discussions, communicate privately with other members and access members-only content. Registration is fast, simple and free, so join today and be a part of the largest and longest running Graffiti, Art, Style & Culture forum online.

Please note, if you are a 12ozProphet Member and are locked out of your account, you can recover your account using the 'lost password' link in the login form. If you no longer have access to the email you registered with, please email us at info@12ozprophet.com and we'll help you recover your account. Welcome to the 12ozProphet Forum (and don't forget to follow @12ozprophet in Instagram)!

super8mm

Discussion in 'Art & Design' started by Mr. Mang, Jan 4, 2005.

1. Mr. Mang

Mr. Mang Elite Member

Anyone else use super8mm? Any suggestions on where to learn more about it? I found a really good zine book type thing that was a really good beginners guide. Cant remember the name...

Surely Im not the only one that shoots super8.

2. Abracadabra

Abracadabra Dirty Dozen Crew

only tease......

get it? it's a dick joke

3. Mr. Mang

Mr. Mang Elite Member

only tease......

get it? it's a dick joke
    [post=3781242]Quoted post[/post]​
    [/b][/quote]

ahhhh jokes

4. <KEY3>

<KEY3> Veteran Member

a guy I know is one of the foremost historians on the super8 format.
    He finds all types of shit on ebay and rebuilds them. He's actually build cameras
    for Bruce McDonald and Aton Agoyen.
    Plus he's revised the format to be 'superduper8' which widens the gate
    and gives you a ture widescreen aspect ratio with a standard super8 cartridge.

5. velocet

velocet New Jack

Atom Egoyan is fresh..

That superduper8mm dealy sounds really cool, is that format on the market Kilo? Or is dude accomplished it through tweakage?

I don't have anything to contribute (i've only shot with 16mm and digital), sorry.

I would like to get into using super8mm some day. It seems like the cost effective way to go for aspiring film diddlers.

I've since eradicated the idea of shooting anything worth looking at digitally, although those 24fp cameras are supposedly hot shit (according to my friend). But still.. Digital looks so bleh.

6. velocet

velocet New Jack

I should add that digital looks pretty wicked sometimes when you're editing it on an avid or final cut.. But wait til that shit is blown up and playing on a big screen or even on a television and your shit will be looking heinous.

7. kevin crusher destroyer

kevin crusher destroyer New Jack

I rock the still cameras and prefer obnoxiously large formats, I use a Toyo 4x5 and just dropped too much money on a mamiya 645, so I'm all about big film.

BUT, provided I knew more about super8 I would be more motivated to pick up one of the thousands of super 8 cameras I see at thrift stores and start shooting.

How hard is it to get super 8 film and do they make transparency film for super8? Like to avoid the whole having prints of yours film made?

Mang>I'm formly MisPantalones...

8. <KEY3>

<KEY3> Veteran Member

the superduper8mm has to be built.
    he makes lots of cameras and might be on ebay.

i'm in the film vs. digital argument every day.
    I think film ourists are a lot like people who still dont think
    looped and sampled music counts as 'music'. there is no logical argument
    to make them see the other side. Lets just say this......

I can make digital look exactly like film and only the best trained eyes will notice the difference.

even on whip pans.

9. BROWNer

BROWNer Guest

i have a camera and have shot a super minor amount...
    mostly due to the fact it's silly expensive. plus trying to
    wade through the already miniscule market for working
    equipment..ugh. i have found quite a few old ass footage reels
    though......good for mining imagery.

10. CIPHER_one

CIPHER_one Senior Member

Can't say I agree with that. I had a short that was shot on the Panasonic DVX-100 ("Fancy 24p camera") shown at a festival and looked pretty solid.

And television? It definitely looks solid. I think once it would be blown up to 35mm it might end up looking shoddy.

They're already shooting Hollywood films on HD. Last Samurai, Shaun of the Dead, Collatoral etc. et.c

I'm a big fan of video, but given the proper budget would go 16mm in a second.

11. CIPHER_one

CIPHER_one Senior Member

oh yeah

Key

You need to get me an internship at your place of bizness.

What do you edit on?

12. velocet

velocet New Jack

Hey now, I am a rational person, if someone proves me wrong I tend to change my opinions. I have a tiny working knowledge of editing compared to a lot of heads out there so if you say you can make digital look like film may I ask how? I'm just curious..

Someone please school me.

13. CIPHER_one

CIPHER_one Senior Member

after-effects? There's tons of programs that aid in that..

14. BROWNer

BROWNer Guest

velocet, if you ever come over here for a visit, you can borrow
    my camera and funk around with it. like i said though, the film
    is pricey..if you are in the know, there are apparently ways to get
    cheaper film, like through co-ops and such, but..