riddle me this

reflects.

yeah, yeah, and yeah; first things first, im a 'toy.'

i recently began the ever-consuming course of self-teaching; rockin the stock caps, filling sketch books, all that pimp shit. stumbled across a couple local chill spots (orlando) and covered some walls in experimentation.

at filling in a (long-known, well-trusted) friend of my endeavors his repsonse, in a nutshell, was:

i can respect the painters that are truly skilled at what they do, but graffiti in general is a waste of artistic talent, time and money.

so, i ask of your opinion - what would be your response?

...besides "FUCK YOUR FRIEND"

--glaus

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

that he has no life and whatever he does for fun is a waste of time money and effort. Painting a dope ass huge peice on a wall is way more "real" than painting some stupid landscape on a canvas. And bombing is about getting up, beating the system, crushing societty, crushing capatalism etc. and plus its fun as fuck. A real graffiti head will experience way more than some normal kid who sticks to sports and plays video games for fun. Graffiti is not only fun but its also a great way to experience things and to see the world for what it really is. In my time as a writer i have seen more than any average 14 year old has seen. Graffiti is a good way to find yourself and to really have something to live for. Sitting in a room painting landscapes will build nothing and acomplish nothing. A graffiti lifestyle will be much more enjoyable than any normal lifestyle your freinds may live.

Just keep it up and dont stop no matter what your freind may say. Maybe even teach your freind about why graffiti is so great.

Dont even waste your time explaining shit to your friend. Theres alot of people who just cant get past the part its illegal and ugly. Although if i really feel like getting into it, id usually show people flicks of ditch work, or just pieces in general. That usually squashes their belief all graffiti is ugly and a waste of time/money/etc. Theres just too many close minded people.

well stated chad; vivid sincerity

bout a month ago- my first time out to the trainyards in orlando i came across a pretty lucky find- raels and ken82... quality fuckin' guys. i spectated while they put up a few pieces and that was inspiration enough for me to get started.

im pickin up a tip now and then from a couple guys that are fairly well known around here -- anjoe and cest -- yesterday actually, anjos, myself, and kiron hit up a chill spot. took flicks, but i havent gotten them uploaded yet.... theyll be up by tonight

Originally posted by The Leader@Mar 28 2005, 03:18 PM

You de realize you are asking people on a graffiti forum. You should already know what most people's answers are going to be.

graffiti is a waste.

you get known by people that do not matter. you waste time energy and money.

have fun.

haha, entertaining honesty. i, however, do realize that graffiti is a kickass hobby, but only that: a hobby. well.. and of course, a career in a select few cases.

the idea of the thread was to ask established [and not-so established] writers what makes graffiti worth their devotion and hard-earned bucks.

just curiosity afloat and the hopes that 12oz isn't completely overrun by caps lock-ridden 'arteests.' :yuck:

Originally posted by reflects.+Mar 28 2005, 10:44 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (reflects. - Mar 28 2005, 10:44 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteBegin-The Leader@Mar 28 2005, 03:18 PM

You de realize you are asking people on a graffiti forum. You should already know what most people's answers are going to be.

graffiti is a waste.

you get known by people that do not matter. you waste time energy and money.

have fun.

haha, entertaining honesty. i, however, do realize that graffiti is a kickass hobby, but only that: a hobby. well.. and of course, a career in a select few cases.

the idea of the thread was to ask established [and not-so established] writers what makes graffiti worth their devotion and hard-earned bucks.

just curiosity afloat and the hopes that 12oz isn't completely overrun by caps lock-ridden 'arteests.' :yuck:

[/b]

Bump for Glaus

Graf really isnt for everybody. The best type of gauntlet to put yourself through to know if you're down is raw experience. Start painting. Do some spots. Rock some pieces. See how it fits. If you start waking up fiending for more then it might be your thing.

But if you stay in the game long enough the downsides will inevitably surface -- getting arrested, paying fines, paranoia, family feuds, bullshit fights, serious injuries, lawyer balances, etc. And all that shit sucks. No one in their right mind likes any of it.

Not that all the negative shit happens to everybody, but its a huge possibility.

If you love it enough you'll stay in it regardless of the downsides and become smarter about your approach; if not you'll quit and look at it like a phase or a mistake or something. Time will tell that kinda thing.

Just be smart if you're gonna go out and paint. Dont overdo train yards or chill spots. Dont start beef. Dont enrage any cops. Pissing the wrong people off will probably make your graffiti stay a short one.