Reading is fundemental.

WITS

In the middle of the graffiti circle jerk the toy stands up to proclaim a new king. The crown is given out symbolizing power and imagination, but it all reveals the same shit as the politics behind the madness turn the crown to dust. Critics scream, "graffiti belongs on trains, getting permission is for suckers, old school! old school!". I want to tell you people know, fuck the old school, fuck this so called 'Media-made new school" and from the bottom of my heart- fuck you! Why should any of us follow in the steps of some dirty 16 year old ghetto dweller from the 70's that rocked an afro and chased polka dots? Classics? Shit, that word is only a safe haven for the kids that never made it to the next level. I was shitting my pants in the 70's. Why the fuck do i want to glorify the art of that time? "Yeah, but that's how it started". So what, Beethoven influenced music but if someone rocks it in the crowd they are liable to get punched in the face. It's almost '99, the old school either graduated or got suspended long ago. Writers from the 70's and 80's are carefully trying to rebuild what graffiti destroyed in their lives. Most of the surviving writers have as much heart as a guy waiting for a transplant. Soldiers went from bombing lines to sniffing them, trading in their pilots for blunts andwalking the streets with liquor in their pockets instead of ink. 90% of my past associates are better off dead, including me. Then you have this new generation. The hardcore has changed hands and now lies within some stupid 14 year old hopeful king. He knows shit about shit, but will pay his dues in this society harder than any other past writer. The beef is stronger, cops quicker and the system less forgiving. And let's not forget that he is still the fucking toy that gets no respect from his fellow contenders. Then you got the magazine hustlers. Most of 'em are one hit wonders trying to claim fame and disguise their failures in this graffiti rat race. A chosen few are distinguished and wear their battle scars triumphantly, but then there are the ones who continue to make a mockery out of the vandalistic system they've sworn to represnt. They seek cash and acknowledgement for their graffiti milestone, the rest of us just want a little star on the artistic prostitutes walk of fame. Graffiti is set up like a bunch of garbage cans on Sunday night. The kid comes for the pickup, he discards it into his mind and let's his originality set it on fire, the he simply recycles anything and everything available. All a writer wants is to stick out like a knife in a cop's stomach. They'll do anything to reach the top, but the truth is, the golden ladder has steps missing and the plastic trophies have already been given out. The underdogs are fucked. Graffiti went from tunnels to sunlight, street corners to gallery stage. What's next? Who decides? Could it be these little fucking punks are the saviours of the graffiti world as we know it? After all, they know all there is to know because they have old pictures they bought for $5.00 a piece. But they still have no idea what it's like to sit in some bombed car staring at the tags in a fucking trance totally oblivious to what is going on around them. Shit, years ago they destroyed a car with ink and paint, now it's nails and sandpapaer, pretty soon we will be voting for the king of the dust tags. I know most of you steal from your mother and abuse illegal drugs, you occasionally have a social drink with your peers in some piss stained hallway, youhave young women to use and abuse and places tobomb, hookers to buy and Springer to watch. Intoday's world the graffiti writer's role in society is very complex. Just remember to always keep your photo album up to date with a special section for the shit that happened before you were born. Wrap this and other magazines in plastic and save certain nails and discontinued sandpaper(They'll get you big cash or vicced at a trade show in 20 years.) You can love graffiti, but it doesn't mean she's gonna love you back, especially when her big brother watches her every move. Sometimes, she's a real bitch! FUCK OFF!

---PM

Stolen from issue 3 of Quality of Life.

I thought maybe some of you might enjoy that one. I know I do. I type too slow! Fuck.

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
Originally posted by WITS

You can love graffiti, but it doesn't mean she's gonna love you back, especially when her big brother watches her every move. Sometimes, she's a real bitch! FUCK OFF!

Stolen from issue 3 of Quality of Life.

I thought maybe some of you might enjoy that one. I know I do. I type too slow! Fuck.

That is so true lol..

Graffiti is diffrent from music though, we respect old writers, because they started us off, and has helped graffiti evolve in to what it is now. Even though people should respect Beethoven, they don't because the general public does not accept him, they consider him "uncool" i guess.

That is true that a lot of young heads, including myself that just think they could start and don't need to know the basics, just know that they go out there to kill shit and get their name up, no matter how wak it looks. But thats how most writers started out anyway, look at the old school stuff by like tak 183 for instance, he would just write his shit straight out, no style or nothing. Thats how things start. Now since graffiti is more popular then it was in the 70s and 80s, of course that means there is going to be more 14 year old punks, that think they could rip shit like SEEN or something, but their just inexperienced And if they really wanted to get into graf they would learn for them selfs.

The graf society is below the peak of its good years now. Things are getting more stict and its harder to go out and just kill shit without making a big scene with the cops. Its also hard because 90% of people don't accept it, because they just don't understand it. Only if they new the dedication some writers put into their work, would they be able to judge and understand it.

the graf cultue has a undetermend future, but it will either get blown out of proportion, or hidden like a needle in a hay stack, because secrity will get to strong...

Guest professor poopatronic

i'm sorry, that was fucking stupid. some people take things way too seriously. just do graffiti and be happy. don't sit there and analyze it.

Archived