Magazine/Fanzine Production

Guest BROWNer

Guest BROWNer

okay, i know i've asked this before, but i couldn't find it..

so, if anybody has any tips, or better yet has put something

out themselves and can lend me an ear for questions, or has LINKS to the

process(from basic layout specs, to paper and interfacing with

a printshop)of putting together a mag, please drop the science.

also, just a heads up, it's not gonna be high gloss fancy-shmantz.

probly b&w, a few colour photos, and maybe a maximum of 10-20

pages..or somethin' like that. my budget is non existent.

merci

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
Guest imported_Tesseract

There are ways you could go on nicely with a zerox copier..above all you need good people to work with, you knew homeboy tesser is on a broadband up, running and willing to deliver?

holla

Originally posted by BROWNer

okay, i know i've asked this before, but i couldn't find it..

so, if anybody has any tips, or better yet has put something

out themselves and can lend me an ear for questions, or has LINKS to the

process(from basic layout specs, to paper and interfacing with

a printshop)of putting together a mag, please drop the science.

also, just a heads up, it's not gonna be high gloss fancy-shmantz.

probly b&w, a few colour photos, and maybe a maximum of 10-20

pages..or somethin' like that. my budget is non existent.

merci

well mine is purely black and white (blasphemy! as ounceaddict put it about my zine). and i dont really use the computer. so i'm not sure if i can help you. i can def help you out but i dont have a copy of my zine on hand right now. if you want, i can gladly scan some pages from the current issue and put them on here to show you.

well everything that i put out is really from my pockets. i dont rack copies and i cant. i rack the paper but other than that...no. so all of the production of my zine is from my own pockets so be prepared to be broke. its all worth the time....sincerely.

i dont use the computer for the zine either. for the current issue front cover, i did use photoshop but really lightly. as far as the content in the zine goes, i use scissors, a glue stick, and my sticky fingers.

the layout is purely what i am concerned about. since it is sf based, i have to make sure that people who are having beef arent on the same page and yada yada. people get testy with that...maybe its because its sf. but the layout is something that i take pride in. people who have seen my zine comment on the layout and how clean it is. well thats because i use my fingers and not the computer. i have more of a handle on things.

i like organization on a page. so if i start with a fr8 pic, that page will be a fr8 page and so on. also with my zine, i do a lot of research on the latest articles and stuff being sold about graffiti. also i do reasearch on funny articles and art related articles and put them into the zine. a lot of people dig the funny shit...it keeps their eyes moving.

so my process being:

1. get photos from people. they can email me photos or people come over my place and give them to me. or via postal service. whatever.

2. if it is digital, i crop and make them smaller depending on how big the flick is. if it is hard copy, i make copies of them and alter them on the photocopier.

3. then i make the hard copy of the zine. my zine is w=5.50 by l=8.50.

i start from teh center and move to the front and back pages. i dont know if this will make any sense.

4. hard copy is done. i usually have someone do the cover and its done.

5. make copies.

its hard to describe this without a picture.....let me know if you want me to scan.

Guest BROWNer

dlush, thanks for the info.

i hooked up a wicked contact today, straight up printshop johnny.

he answered most of my questions..most of my other questions are layout related,

compu-involved/printshop capabilities/cost, and i'm not there yet, but

i got another dude who's helping me figure that out.

thanks y'all.

Archived