1. Welcome to the 12ozProphet Forum...
    You are currently logged out and viewing our forum as a guest which only allows limited access to our discussions, photos and other forum features. If you are a 12ozProphet Member please login to get the full experience.

If you are not a 12ozProphet Member, please take a moment to register to gain full access to our website and all of its features. As a 12ozProphet Member you will be able to post comments, start discussions, communicate privately with other members and access members-only content. Registration is fast, simple and free, so join today and be a part of the largest and longest running Graffiti, Art, Style & Culture forum online.

Please note, if you are a 12ozProphet Member and are locked out of your account, you can recover your account using the 'lost password' link in the login form. If you no longer have access to the email you registered with, please email us at info@12ozprophet.com and we'll help you recover your account. Welcome to the 12ozProphet Forum (and don't forget to follow @12ozprophet in Instagram)!

Computer help?

Discussion in 'Channel Zero' started by Jesus of Nazareth, Sep 17, 2001.

1. Jesus of Nazareth

Jesus of Nazareth 12oz Senior Member

Computer help?

Discussion started by Jesus of Nazareth - Sep 17, 2001

I have been having problems with my home computer, and have no idea how to fix it. It is a HP Pavilion, and I have been having troubles for around a month now....The disk defrag program doesn't work, and as of Sunday, I can't connect to AIM, I keep getting a message telling me that the "server refused by proxy". I also receive random error messages whenever I am using it (online or not), and the functionality of programs is hit or miss. It is a relatively new computer... I am not sure if it is a virus problem, or how I sould go about fixing it. Any advice would be greatly appreciated....
    thanks,
    Jesus

Jesus of Nazareth - Rank: 12oz Senior Member - Messages:
  2. ZackAttack

ZackAttack 12oz Senior Member

ZackAttack - Replied Sep 17, 2001

How new is it? Check any and all warantees.. If you have some sort of cheesy warantee laying around find it and shove it in their face... They can't deny it...

00---if that's not the case---00

As far as the AIM thing goes, you need to check the AIM settings... you can go into it whether is connected or not. Set everything back to default..... If you have AOL itself, than I don't really want to help you, because AOL sucks.. As far as you saying the programs hitting or missing, are these only on-line programs? Does this happen only when you're on line? What type of connection do you have? Do you have a virus scanner? Scan your harddrive.. You might have something. Defrag wont help you here, especially if your computer is new.

The new breakfast hot pockets are actually good.

Sincerely,
    Zack Attack.

ZackAttack - Rank: 12oz Senior Member - Messages:
  3. sectorTVA

sectorTVA 12oz Senior Member

sectorTVA - Replied Sep 17, 2001

sounds like a virus...if you can, return it and get a new one...i wouldnt recommend you taking it to a computer fix-it shop...theyre notorious for ripping computer illiterates off. if i lived near you id fix it for free...but i dont think you live any place near me. take it to a fix it shop if its your last option...but prepared to get riped-off...honestly, try your best to return it to where you got it, and exchange it for a new one...if its causing that much trouble its not worth to keep it.

sectorTVA - Rank: 12oz Senior Member - Messages:
  4. Jesus of Nazareth

Jesus of Nazareth 12oz Senior Member

Jesus of Nazareth - Replied Sep 18, 2001

Thanks a lot for the help. I have McAffee Activeshield, but it is an online program, and whenever I try to use it to scan, I am taken to one of those "not found" internet messages. Most of the "hit or miss" programs are offline. Things such as games, and cd burner programs.....and they mess up both on and off line. The computer itself is pretty new.....I've had it for less than a year, but it is not fresh out of the box or anything.

Thanks again for all the help, if all else fails, I guess I can take it to a shop....

Jesus of Nazareth - Rank: 12oz Senior Member - Messages:
  5. Dirty_habiT

Dirty_habiT Dirty Dozen Crew

Dirty_habiT - Replied Sep 18, 2001

Dude, I've seen so many 'complete' computers go to shit after a little while. They come 'preloaded' with all this shitty software that you don't need, and it ends up killing your PC. There are such things as fucked up ass problems where you can't fix them, and they prevent your computer from operating.

My best advice, and even this isn't that good:
    When buying a computer, shop around, and know the components, buy them seperately. PUT THE THING TOGETHER YOUR DAMN SELF. Buy a book that tells how if you don't know. It's not that hard, and it will save you heart aches like this in the future.

Dirty_habiT - Rank: Dirty Dozen Crew - Messages: