1. Welcome to the 12ozProphet Forum...
    You are currently logged out and viewing our forum as a guest which only allows limited access to our discussions, photos and other forum features. If you are a 12ozProphet Member please login to get the full experience.

If you are not a 12ozProphet Member, please take a moment to register to gain full access to our website and all of its features. As a 12ozProphet Member you will be able to post comments, start discussions, communicate privately with other members and access members-only content. Registration is fast, simple and free, so join today and be a part of the largest and longest running Graffiti, Art, Style & Culture forum online.

Please note, if you are a 12ozProphet Member and are locked out of your account, you can recover your account using the 'lost password' link in the login form. If you no longer have access to the email you registered with, please email us at info@12ozprophet.com and we'll help you recover your account. Welcome to the 12ozProphet Forum (and don't forget to follow @12ozprophet in Instagram)!

12OZ CAREER DAY

Discussion in 'Channel Zero' started by SPLINTER, May 2, 2002.

1. SPLINTER

SPLINTER Guest

12OZ CAREER DAY

Discussion started by SPLINTER - May 2, 2002

okay im trying to make a decision on what i should do after high school. i know im going to college but what about when im done with general ed. what major do i move into afer that. some of you are already in college and already doing your majors and some of you have already been through it. so i wanna know what your majors are or have been, which ones you quit and why. and for those already in the job force, what do you do and most of all Do YOU like it??

i really need some guidence but like most of you i dont think like a high school councelor so they dont make sense to me. any comment would be greatly appreciated.

2. railroadjerk

railroadjerk Guest

railroadjerk - Replied May 2, 2002

unless you like math, dont go into engineering. couldve fooled me, i lasted a semester...

UNDECLARED STUDENT WHAT WHAT!

3. sectorTVA

sectorTVA 12oz Senior Member

sectorTVA - Replied May 2, 2002

tried computer science out, since im really good with computers, but quit because of the math, changed to fine arts, photography, and found out i still gotta take more math courses....math is my downfall...i will not be returning to classes next semester....i need a break...good luck in what ever you decide to do....im thinking of changing my major again...but i dont know to what...computer science is really the way to go now adays, job market is quite large for tech kids....get into network administration if you go from computer sciences....supposedly a huge job market for net admins...everyone needs one now adays.....

sectorTVA - Rank: 12oz Senior Member - Messages:
  4. Pistol

Pistol Dirty Dozen Crew

Pistol - Replied May 2, 2002

I'm going to Cerritos to become a Teacher.
    I really wanted to get a degree in Sociology because it interests me and those classes came naturally to me. But in order to get a decent job you need to get a masters. If not I would be working for the county doing some shit job for no money. So thats why I picked teaching. Too many fucking classes to take. I still have another 2 semester before I transfer to Fullerton.

Pistol - Rank: Dirty Dozen Crew - Messages:
  5. SPLINTER

SPLINTER Guest

SPLINTER - Replied May 2, 2002

Pistol

damn you always come through with what i need.

How long does it take to become a teacher and what kind of classes do i need to take?

What kind of teacher do you want to be? Elementry? Middle School? HS?

whats easier??

ive always thought about history teacher as a good job and i also want to get some kinda of coaching license to do football coaching on the side.

6. Raw fish

Raw fish 12oz Member

Raw fish - Replied May 2, 2002

I dropped out because trains were more important than a 9:30 math class

Raw fish - Rank: 12oz Member - Messages:
  7. Pistol

Pistol Dirty Dozen Crew

Pistol - Replied May 2, 2002

It depends on what you wanna teach?
    I was gonna transfer to Cal State Long Beach but they had like an extra 2-3 semesters of classes I needed to take. So I decided to go to CSUFullerton.
    hmm if you take 12 units a semester I'd say about 5-6 years.

I'd like to be an English/History teacher and maybe a PE teacher to get out of the class and get some fresh air. Maybe even a coach but you really gotta dedicate alot of time of you wanna be a coach. Plus alot of politics are involved in hiring coach's.

Pistol - Rank: Dirty Dozen Crew - Messages:
  8. KaBar

KaBar 12oz Senior Member

KaBar - Replied May 2, 2002

"The Professions"

Similarly to some of the above posts, I had problems with math in high school. What I didn't realize until years later was that I probably was depressed, and possibly had a condition called "dyscalculia" which is similar to "dyslexia" but concerns numbers instead of letters.
    One of the signal symptoms of Major Depression is called "anhedonia." It means "unable to enjoy the normal things in life." That fit me to a Tee. I hated birthdays and Christmas, I hated family gatherings. Any sort of normal family stuff, like going out to eat, or going to Grandma's house, I loathed. Everything bored me shitless. I was a deluxe thrill seeker--I loved motorcycles, surfing big waves, any sort of risky ass behavior was right up my alley. I wasn't much on one-on-one fighting, but I loved free-for-all brawls where two GROUPS of boys squared off. I hated team sports, but I loved what would today be called "gang" activity. We used to tag using brushes and paint cans, back in the early '60s, and then later, with spray cans, but it wasn't graffitti like today, more like gangbanger bullshit: "Tommy Smith Sucks Dick", stuff like that.
    Math was my big failure. As hard as I tried, algebra kicked my ass. I just could not understand it. It didn't help that I had started smoking grass, another signal of Major Depression. Smoking weed just makes everything more difficult.
    When I got out of high school, I felt like I had been released from prison. NO WAY was I going to go to college. I HATED school.
    Big mistake.
    My friends all went to college, then on to starter jobs in computers, banks, Federal agencies, industries, etc. But because I refused to go to college, I just bounced from shit job to shit job. I told myself I didn't care. I was an ANARCHIST, I didn't give a fuck about money or success.
    After 14 years of this idiocy, I grew up enough to decide to go to a community college. I had to learn to overcome college-level algebra and trigonometry. I never thought I could do it. One big help was "scientific calculators." When I was a kid, a Texas Instruments calculator cost $450 and was as big as a transistor radio--a couple of inches thick. About the size of a thick paperback novel. By the time I finally started college, they were much, much smaller and accepted everywhere. When I was in high school, the school wouldn't let you do your basic calculations with a calculator, but they would let you "check your work" with one. In college, nobody gave a shit, as long as you could do the calculating.
    My first degree was in Machine Tool Technology. I love making stuff out of metal, but it doesn't pay worth shit. My second degree was in Nursing. It pays very well. Agency Nursing pays $36 per hour where I live. Hospital nursing pays around $22/hour. That's $44,000 a year. To start. A friend of mine who is an LVN (licensed vocational nurse) went to school for 18 months, and was making $18/ hour (about $36,000/ year.) She upgraded to RN, and works in a very high-stress Pediatric ICU (a children's intensive care unit.) She is now making $66,000 per year. The down side is that once in a while, one of the kids dies. That really sucks.
    Every job has advantages and disadvantages. Don't choose a profession just for the money. But on the other hand, some jobs don't pay shit. Your choice--do the research.

KaBar - Rank: 12oz Senior Member - Messages:
  9. willy.wonka

willy.wonka Guest

willy.wonka - Replied May 2, 2002

law is always fun....my ghetto ass friend would come out with hella shit to say to cops and from what i understand...he scares them...

10. When

When 12oz Loyalist

When - Replied May 2, 2002

i work on cars/trucks
    i go to work get greasy and drunk
    i have fun everyday at my job
    and i make damn good money
    i might go to school to be a porsche mechanic
    on the side of what im doing now
    then i can save and open up my own custom shop

i havent gone to school and im doing fine

When - Rank: 12oz Loyalist - Messages: