CN strike

Frate_Raper

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

Email this Release | Printer-Friendly

------------------------------------------------------------------------

CN to keep trains rolling during planned Canadian conductors' strike

MONTREAL, QUEBEC -- (MARKET WIRE) -- February 07, 2007 -- CN is activating its strike contingency plan to maintain freight operations across Canada after the United Transportation Union (UTU) notified the company yesterday that it plans to strike CN's Canadian rail operations at 0001 hours Feb. 10, 2007.

E. Hunter Harrison, president and chief executive officer of CN, said: "CN and the UTU remain in negotiations, and we believe there is time to reach a new collective agreement before the strike deadline.

"But let me be clear - we will continue freight operations across Canada during a UTU strike, with management personnel performing UTU-represented jobs, and provide the best possible service. This plan is essential to our customers and the Canadian economy."

The UTU represents approximately 2,800 CN conductors and yard-service employees in Canada.

A UTU strike will not affect other unionized employees in Canada.

CN and the UTU have agreed, during a conductors' strike, to maintain normal commuter rail operations on CN rail lines in Toronto and Montreal.

Excluded from strike action are UTU members employed on CN's Northern Quebec Internal Short Line, Algoma Central Railway in Ontario, and Mackenzie Northern Railway in Alberta.

This news release contains forward-looking statements. CN cautions that, by their nature, forward-looking statements involve risk and uncertainties, and that its results could differ materially from those expressed or implied in such statements. Important factors that could cause such differences include, but are not limited to, industry competition, legislative and/or regulatory developments, compliance with environmental laws and regulations, various events which could disrupt operations, including natural events such as severe weather, droughts, floods and earthquakes, the effects of adverse general economic and business conditions, inflation, currency fluctuations, changes in fuel prices, labour disruptions, environmental claims, investigations or proceedings, other types of claims and litigation, and other risks detailed from time to time in reports filed by CN with securities regulators in Canada and the United States. Reference should be made to CN's most recent Form 40-F filed with the United States Securities and Exchange Commission, its Annual Information Form filed with the Canadian securities regulators, its 2005 Annual Consolidated Financial Statements and Notes thereto and Management's Discussion and Analysis (MD&A), as well as its 2006 quarterly consolidated financial statements and MD&A, for a summary of major risks.

CN - Canadian National Railway Company - spans Canada and mid-America, from the Atlantic and Pacific oceans to the Gulf of Mexico, serving the ports of Vancouver, Prince Rupert, B.C., Montreal, Halifax, New Orleans, and Mobile, Ala., and the key cities of Toronto, Buffalo, Chicago, Detroit, Duluth, Minn./Superior, Wis., Green Bay, Wis., Minneapolis/St. Paul, Memphis, St. Louis, and Jackson, Miss., with connections to all points in North America.

http://www.cn.ca

Email this Release | Printer-Friendly

------------------------------------------------------------------------

CN says UTU demands out of line with private sector wage settlements

MONTREAL, QUEBEC -- (MARKET WIRE) -- February 11, 2007 -- CN said today the United Transportation Union (UTU) demanded excessive wage increases during negotiations that broke off Feb. 9, 2007.

The UTU, which represents 2,800 conductors and yard-service employees at CN in Canada, launched its strike against the company at 0001 hours Feb. 10.

The UTU final offer on wages - three years at 4.5 per cent, 4.5 per cent and 4 per cent - was 40 per cent higher than the increases CN negotiated in recent collective agreements for a comparable three-year period.

The UTU's final offer on lump sum bonus payments - C$1,000 per year over the three-year period - was three times greater than the other recent agreements.

The average 2006 annual wage increase in major collective agreement settlements in the private sector in Canada was 2.1 per cent. The transportation industry average wage increase was also 2.1 per cent.

In 2006 average annual UTU employee earnings were C$75,000, with 25 per cent of the UTU membership in Canada making more than C$90,000 annually.

E. Hunter Harrison, president and chief executive officer of CN, said: "We are prepared to negotiate a fair and equitable settlement with the UTU in the same way we've done with our other unions. But such a settlement must be economically sustainable and maintain the company's competitiveness in the transportation marketplace."

CN continues to offer freight service across its network in Canada with management personnel filling striking workers' jobs. CN's network is operating smoothly.

CN's other unionized employees remain on the job in Canada and the United States.

CN and the UTU are maintaining normal commuter rail operations on CN lines in Toronto and Montreal.

Excluded from strike action are UTU members employed on CN's Northern Quebec Internal Short Line, Algoma Central Railway in northern Ontario, and Mackenzie Northern Railway in northern Alberta.

This news release contains forward-looking statements. CN cautions that, by their nature, forward-looking statements involve risk and uncertainties, and that its results could differ materially from those expressed or implied in such statements. Important factors that could cause such differences include, but are not limited to, industry competition, legislative and/or regulatory developments, compliance with environmental laws and regulations, various events which could disrupt operations, including natural events such as severe weather, droughts, floods and earthquakes, the effects of adverse general economic and business conditions, inflation, currency fluctuations, changes in fuel prices, labour disruptions, environmental claims, investigations or proceedings, other types of claims and litigation, and other risks detailed from time to time in reports filed by CN with securities regulators in Canada and the United States. Reference should be made to CN's most recent Form 40-F filed with the United States Securities and Exchange Commission, its Annual Information Form filed with the Canadian securities regulators, its 2005 Annual Consolidated Financial Statements and Notes thereto and Management's Discussion and Analysis (MD&A), as well as its 2006 quarterly consolidated financial statements and MD&A, for a summary of major risks.

CN - Canadian National Railway Company - spans Canada and mid-America, from the Atlantic and Pacific oceans to the Gulf of Mexico, serving the ports of Vancouver, Prince Rupert, B.C., Montreal, Halifax, New Orleans, and Mobile, Ala., and the key cities of Toronto, Buffalo, Chicago, Detroit, Duluth, Minn./Superior, Wis., Green Bay, Wis., Minneapolis/St. Paul, Memphis, St. Louis, and Jackson, Miss., with connections to all points in North America.

http://www.cn.ca

TORONTO, Feb. 9, 2007 /CNW/ - GO Transit will continue to provide train

service on all lines during the nationwide strike by CN conductors, which is

expected to begin at 12:01 a.m. Saturday, February 10.

An agreement between CN and its union has exempted GO Trains from the

strike.

"Regular train service will be provided," said GO Chairman Peter Smith.

"We're very pleased that both parties have agreed to maintain commuter rail

service, and that they understand the importance of continuing to provide

public transit to people who use it.

"GO hopes both sides will continue to honour their agreement. Our

customers don't need any more disruption because of this strike. We hope CN

and its union will be able to resolve their differences quickly."

Customers are always encouraged to have a backup plan for their

transportation needs. Backup plans could include carpooling and taking local

transit. "We always recommend that our customers should have these contingency

arrangements in case of unusual circumstances, such as the weather or labour

action," Smith said.

GO Transit will keep customers regularly posted of developments through

its website and E-News email alerts. Customers who haven't already signed up

for E-News can subscribe on GO's website, gotransit.com.

For GO updates, the public can also call 416.869.3200, 1.888.GET ON GO

(438.6646), 1.800.387.3652 TTY only, or check gotransit.com.

ADVISORY TO NEWS MEDIA:

Although regular GO services will operate, GO Transit will hold a news

conference this afternoon to answer media questions about GO services during

the CN conductors' strike.

<<

Who: GO Chairman, Peter Smith

Managing Director and CEO, Gary McNeil

When: 2 p.m., Friday, February 9, 2007

Union head said the beefs with cn not GO so they may not fuck with GO, but if they want to be pricks they can shut down Montreal and Toronto with the 165000 people GO moves a day in Toronto alone this could be GRIDLOCK!

I was out looking, now my area would be the best place to outlaw for some many reasons, maybe as the strike wears on we'll start to see some funny shit.

Big snow storm comming, these boys could cripple this place, but then again with cn's performance in the last year they've done a good enough job of that themselfs on the commuter lines:)

they've got an outlaw in my neighbourhood, but its of no use to me.

The CN main goes by my hood, and a few tracks break off into a small staging yard. What the strikers have done is taken a small line (small enough that it doesnt obstruct switches on either end of the yard) and parked it on one of the mains with the engines attached and ilding...and just left it there. I got faked out by it the first day and parked at my mainline spot in anticipation of it moving. After about 40 minutes of it not budging (I had some other passing lines to keep me occupied) I gave up, only to find it in the exact same spot 3 days later and realize what was going on.

Its a good strategy. Its a 2 track mainline, and this little bottleneck definately slows things down a bit in the city.

AHAHAH hope they're slowing enough for good photo ops Ese.

Auto maker alley is very weird, alot of new faces in the spots with union reps and security watching them/ coaching of sorts. Benching is extrememly slow and the added secuirty doesn't help much but the weather has got me in limbo.

I'm a little slow, are outlaws like lines where it's safe to park stuff in case of a strange happening such as strike or main line derailment? or is it a defiant show of work stoppage like when workers hit the 12 hour rule and don't want to get fined? never heard of it and i feel a little embarassed to ask.

Man the tankers were rolling in my hood today LIKE CRAZY, I benched 6 lines of mostly tankers.It was the first trains I've seen rolling all week........and yesterday night found an outlaw line, mix junker parked in a mini junction here,everything was slowing or stopping waiting for a green. I missed my chance to smash the mainline back up.

• 1 month later...

Archived