saudi graffiti

Guest spectr

http://www.arabnews.com/?page=1&section=0&article=91494&d=29&m=1&y=2007&pix=kingdom.jpg&category=Kingdom

JEDDAH, 29 January 2007 — The Jeddah Municipality recently met the “X5” group, which is known for writing comments on surfaces all over the city.

The group, which consists of 15 boys and girls between 17 and 19, decided to consult the municipality after two years of writing graffiti. Abdullah Alhiraki who dropped out of university started the group with some school friends. He and the other members said they got the idea from the West and thought that implementing it in Jeddah would be “just cool.”

The municipality found a way to contact the group. Five members representing the entire group met Jamal Abu Amara, the general supervisor of social development and media and the secretary-general of the Municipal Council; Dr. Ashraf Al-Turki, the manager in charge of planning and designing open areas; and well-known artist Rabee Al-Akras whose works have been influenced by the X5 paintings.

The gang leaders expressed appreciation for the way the municipality welcomed them and for the trust they received. They apologized for what they had done and expressed a desire to stop the graffiti.

Al-Hiraki said that he had the idea when he left the university. He explained that members of the group were either his classmates or those who learned about the group’s activities through his website.

He added that he selected the particular logo simply because it is easy to draw. He said there were other groups which compete with them such as G6, Z8, 2, and D2.

Al-Hiraki said the group first creates the design and then selects the place to paint it. While some paint, others keep their eyes peeled for security. Girls, however, send their designs by e-mail for young men to paint on walls.

At the end of the meeting, Abu Amara and Al-Turki announced that that they would allocate 50 walls in the city for the group and others to paint on. On the walls people of different ages will practice their skills and show their talents but without damaging the beauty of Jeddah.

Al-Turki added that some places would be reserved exclusively for women. They even offered to open a competition for wall painters. In the same context, a private cleaning company will clear the X5 paintings from the walls and sculptures in Jeddah. The process will take three years and is expected to cost SR30 million.

Anyone know anything about this? I would like to see some pics of what they are doing over there.. Been searching for a webpage but can't find anything..

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

Yeah I am still working on it, I actually emailed one of my friends who lives in saudi to see if he wouldn't go there to take some pictures of the graffiti for me...

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...