.....TMD CREW.....

cornbeef

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • Replies 792
  • Created
  • Last Reply

^I shouldn't take exception to that comment, but I think it's funny that you see us all as copying Berst and can't identify the general dialogue between Auckland's key writers and how that is changing the way we paint as a City and perhaps nation. Berst is all of these things: A true talent, hard worker, deep thinker and is definitely establishing himself as a formidable force locally and abroad. To discount his peers and influences is short-sighted though. No offense meant, just needs to be said.

its cool when u take some influence from your mates but when it gets to the point when people cant tell the different between your crew then it gets abit over the top..sure it may look good but nobody ran that style before berst.u can defend shit and try justify pushing the nz scene as much as u want...bottom line is without berst u wouldnt be doing anything like that.and now its all the same.just as when suk hit the nz scene..take influece and push it.spewn if someone else comes up with the style first.its not that hard to copy..harder to originate..try on some grammer justify let me guess

man, that's a whole lot of half knowledge. With all respect to you guys, unless you're privy to the inner workings of things here and how certain stylistic traits have developed, you are only speaking speculatively and likely based on what you've seen on the net. Perception is beyond anyone's control though so make of it what you will.

I'd just like to add my 2 cents into this conversation and say that everybody has their own merits in what they say but this is how i view what is happening and has been happening during the last year in my eyes...

alphabet.jpg

style smasher production by wings, kerso, askew, haser, vents

This is one of the earlier walls in auckland featuring members from gbak, tmd, and rtr. the term "style smashers" at this point had been loosely thrown around the crews and a term where each letter used a different color scheme. this wall followed an all over composition where the outcome is suppose to be over the top. i believe that this was one of the first steps towards netch in a production sense.

Since then it has lead to several other developments in terms of individual pieces being painted in that style as well as whole productions being executed in this manner.

The best examples to show this development is to show it through the members of tmd and how each writer has built on each others ideas, techniques and contexts.

14-2.jpg

normal piece by berst

19-1.jpg

style smasher by wings

6-1.jpg

netch by berst (gbaks)

-------------------------------------

vans3.jpg

normal piece by omega

vans4.jpg

style smasher by omega (featuring jeroo)

vans1.jpg

netch by vans

-------------------------------------------

askew2.jpg

normal piece by askew

askew1.jpg

style smasher by askew

askew3.jpg

netch by askew

--------------------------------------

All three of these people are obviously tmd and each person exchanges ideas from each other and builds on each others ideas so that it can develop into something new and greater than the first. the most important thing that comes from these works is the idea of breaking the habit of doing the same thing over and over again and really thinking about the process of creating the pieces and the reflection of its strengths and its weaknesses. when painting each of these pieces each writer is left to their own to decide how previous ideas can be extended.

When looking at productions that have been done in the last twenty years it has been established what a typical formula is for creating a production such as a piece, followed by a character then a piece, then another character. There is nothing wrong with this but the next series of walls is a project based on collaboration between writers where writers work together in a totally different way where each writer works on each others pieces to get a different finished result. More ideas are obviously exchanged between writers hence the act of painting finally begins.

pittstreet.jpg

netch production by deus, askew, berst

mside.jpg

netch production by askew, stray, berst

mside2.jpg

netch production by stray, vents, repo, berst, askew, misery

By looking at each one of these walls there are things that work and things that do not but that can be a totally different discussion on its own. all in all it is part of the process of creating these works that is different from what has been happening for the last twenty odd years. each writer that has contributed to each of these walls have been as important as the next and so to my belief the netch category in auckland falls between gbak, tmd and rtr. in terms of writers pieces looking the same, the images that have been attatched above of individual writers netch pieces, i see people that have shared ideas but 100% completely hold their own to their own name. for netch productions, in the most likely case a berst piece SHOULD resemble a askew piece, or a vans piece, or a phats piece etc because berst would of only done a quarter of his piece if there were four writers painting that particular production.

there are people in other countires at the moment that are steam rolling ahead with ground breaking graffiti aswell such as sofles, revok, rime. i believe that the ideas that have been generated from these last couple of months have been on a basis that people such as sofles, revok, rime influence all of us just as much as we do each other.

maybe you kiwi's could put an interpretation of this "netch" bullshit in here for us aussie's who speak english and not the maori native tongue

or is it some made-up hipster word someone made up trying to get it to "catch on" in the scene

NETCH = next echelon

sounds english to me.

echelon

noun

1. a level of command, authority, or rank: the top echelon of city officials.

2. a formation of troops, ships, airplanes, etc., in which groups of soldiers or individual vehicles or craft are arranged in parallel lines, each to the right or left of the one in front, so that the whole presents the appearance of steps.

3. one of the groups of a formation so arranged.

4. Also called echelon grating. Spectroscopy. a diffraction grating that is used in the resolution of fine structure lines and consists of a series of plates of equal thickness stacked in staircase fashion.

so it isn't a real word...

"next echelon" is a fair enough explanation though, makes sense in the context it was quoted

whatever you want to call those pieces up there, they're homocide for other local writers watching on i bet... dope

dONT SEE WHAT IT'S GOT TO DO WITH HIM BEING SPONSORED BY IRONLAK??

ITS HIS OWN CHOICE WHAT HE DOES WITH HIS FILLS ETC.

When you have limited colours/cash, you push to do your best with a few colours, which always looks fresher than something like that ridiculous massive netch wall that is just a mass of 900 different colours and for me, totally loses the point.

Simple quality always stands out. And yeh i prefer all the gbak/tmd stuff pre mid 2009.

i thought netch was another way of takin other peoples cool style and making your pieces look like thiers? without saying its copying..

but next echelon will do..

all of tmd has mad talent in thier own right which is what makes it such a tuff crew, i just dont wanna see everyones shit the same..

Archived