<<< 12Oz Computer Tech Support SuperThread >>>

Mainter

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
yeah thats why i didnt post any suggestion i figured you were on deamonoid already

true. dude didn't give me any cf cards. dammit. now i gotta go spend moneys. mo' moneys.

thing is, he gave me all that shit (wifi card, case, protectors for screen, pocket keyboard)

pretty good deal.

i just need me mo' memory.

The folks who sit around creating ways to maliciously invade your computer are adding a new wrinkle to their distribution system. Instead of being invited to look at a resume, an “interesting” photo, or a special resume, the makers of Worms, spy ware, and things that make your computer go “thud” now bring you “the latest news.”

Some of the subject lines used to send the virus in an email are credible, such as “230 dead as storm batters Europe." Others may invoke curiosity, such as “U.S. Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice has kicked German Chancellor Angela Merkel.” Experts say, this is the first time spammers have used current news headlines in subject lines as a means to reach users. The virus began in Europe, and apparently entered the US market in just the past two days. No matter what the subject line, this so-called “Storm Virus” comes with one of four executable files that take control of your computer for Spam purposes, or it directs some of your personal information to another database.

Not all virus protection software has detected the virus as of yet, according to a PC Magazine story, but a large number have. Since the attachments are all executable files (ending in *.exe) users should remember that it is dangerous to open ANY file, not to mention an email attachment, ending in .exe. Then again, you could be the lucky winner of $50 million from the Nigerian treasury.

sony_vaio_g_440.jpg

Sony's sleek little VAIO G1 laptop may still only officially be available in Japan, but that didn't stop the folks at LAPTOP Magazine from getting their hands on one for a full review. As you'd no doubt expect, the laptop immediately impresses, tipping the scales at a featherweight 2.1 pounds and lighting things up with the familiar 12.1-inch display that some of us still find to be the best balance of size and portability, although it unfortunately doesn't get Sony's trademark XBRITE treatment. They found that the rest of the laptop's specs mostly delivered the goods as well, with the low-power Core Solo processor providing a reasonable trade-off between performance and battery life, the 80GB hard drive providing adequate storage, and the integrated DVD burner making a welcome appearance in a laptop this size. All but the least demanding users will probably want to opt for a memory upgrade though, with the standard 512MB unlikely to cut it for most, especially those planning on upgrading to Vista. Also coming up a bit short was the laptop's keyboard, which is about 90 percent smaller than the average laptop's and could take some getting used to. Of course, the price of all that portability comes at quite a premium, and you'll have to decide if $2,599 is too much to ask to lighten your load a bit.

i had a vaio once i really liked it might have to go back

sonyvaiog1q.jpg

CPU -1.2-GHz Intel Core Solo U1400

Operating System - Windows XP Professional

RAM/Expandable to - 512MB/1.5GB

Hard Drive/Speed - 80GB/4,200 RPM

Optical Drive - 4X DVD+/-RW DL

Display/Resolution - 12.1 inches/1024 x 768

Graphics/Video Memory - Intel Graphics Media Accelerator 950/128MB

Wireless Networking - 802.11b/g, Bluetooth

Ports - Two USB 2.0, VGA, Ethernet, modem, headphone, mic

Card Slots - One Type II PC Card, 3-in-1 memory card reader

Weight - 2.1 pounds

Size - 0.9 x 8.5 x 1.00

Warranty/Support - Three-year warranty/Unlimited toll-free phone and e-mail tech support

MobileMark 2005 N/A

3DMark03 - 689

Battery Life (Wi-Fi On/Off) N/A / N/A

Wireless Performance (15/50 feet) - 16.3 Mbps / 15.7 Mbps

Wiinja modchip enables Wii / GameCube backups to function

wiininja.jpg

260107162504_1big.jpg

We've seen plenty of Wii hacks since its November release, and we've even seen a completely uninspiring "hack" to run backup discs, but this time, we're thinking it's for real. The Wiinja modchip is on the loose, and apparently it requires soldering to the Wii innards in order to function, but it purportedly allows for Wii and GameCube backups to be played back on the console. Unfortunately, there's not a whole lot of information beyond that, and there's just a single photo to instruct forthcoming owners how to correctly attach it, but if there's one thing that helps its case, it's the video. So go on, click on through for the YouTube demonstration, and start saving up those €40 ($52) it'll run you when this hits "commercialization."

language_tools

not use the wizard.

well yeah. its that i just don't know shit about this stuff.

I've ran the network setup wizard on both boxes, but when prompeted to insert a floppy to make a network setup disk, i just selected the option to quit without making a disk.

and to go into more detail, the setup is like so:

pc is connected to the router, which is right into the modem.

laptop is wireless.

bacically what i want to do is use the pc to dl shit and store things, then just grab stuff onto my laptop for when im travelling.

i have been searching but apparently my google skills aren't up to par.

i appreciate your help, guys.

The process of establishing sharing between these PCs is really just a lot of steps involving software settings. It takes a while to do, but is pretty straightforward. Let's get started.

1.The first step is to make sure all yer computers have a distinct name and are using the same workgroup name.

a.To do this, click the "Start" button in the lower left corner and select "Control Panel." In the left channel, you'll want to click on "Classic View" if you haven't previously done this. That's how I have my computer set up.

b.Double-click on the "System" icon and then on the "Computer Name" tab. On this screen, click the "Change" button to set yer computer name and workgroup name.

c.Each computer will need its own computer name. I recommend changing it to something easy to identify such as "desktop-study" for a desktop computer in yer study. You can't use non-standard characters and it can only be 15 characters.

d.Then you will need to enter yer workgroup name. This must be the same on all computers you would like to connect to the network. Make sure you write this down because it must be exactly the same on all computers in order for them to communicate. It can be as simple as "home network."

e.yer computer will need to be restarted for these changes to take effect.

2.Now that you have created a network, the next thing you'll need to do is set up yer computers to share files. Here's how to do that.

a.On the primary computer that you'll be sharing files from, right click on "My Computer" and click "Explore."

b.Find the folder or entire drive you would like to share and right click on that item. Select "Sharing and Security" from the drop-down list.

c.If it isn't already selected, click on the "Sharing" tab at the top.

d.In the "Network sharing and security" section, click to put a check beside "Share this folder" if it doesn't already have a checkmark beside it.

e.There is an "Allow network users to change my files" selection as well. Since you may want to add to this folder or make edits to pictures, select this option and didn't set any restrictions. If you have children that will be accessing yer files, you may want to leave this unselected so you or anyone else don't make any changes to yer files or mistakenly delete any of them.

f.Now that my main desktop system was set up to share files, Go to the laptop and setup on the same workgroup and enter the name of yer computer just as you had done to the desktop system.

g.Then from the Start menu on the lpatop "My Network Places" on the laptop. The folders you had selected for sharing should be available.

the tutorial above only allows you to share files within the wireless network range if you take it out of the range the desktop files will no longer be available to share. Do to the fact that the laptop can not communicate with the desktop to get the files. to access yer files from home from yer laptop you will need to setup remote desktop there are many thirdparty tools that can make it really simple or you can use xp's version only if you have xp pro

another way you can get what you want to do to work is share the whole drive with full permissions that way you can drag and drop files from the desktop to the laptop viceversa and it will place them on the harddrive as your own copy

I selected Shared Documents as the folder i wanted to share on the desktop.

Same workgroup names on both....

When I go to my network places, nothing appears in the window and when i click 'view network computers', it says:

"Mshome is not accessible. You may not have permission to view this network resource. Contact the administator to find out if you have network permissions. A list of servers for this workgroup is not available"

???