JEAN-MICHEL BASQUIAT "SAMO"

shovel

Originally posted by Ron McDonald@Nov 28 2005, 12:09 AM

Basquiat's paintings were by far better than his graffiti. He did get up, but he never followed the regular path of graffiti writing, and cannot really be classified as a writer. It's more like a very early form of street art, in the respect that what he did with a spraycan on the street led directly to his work in galleries. Props to the dude anyway.

exactly. his graffiti was whatever, im not really a fan of it. but his paintings are where the innovation and general amazing-ness shows the most.

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 months later...

to anybody, somebody else's graffiti is "whatever". there is no one else in the world that i can think of anyway that is as accepted in the normal art world that came from graffiti as samo.

i love the way if it's not fucking bubble letters or your particular preferred shit, it's not graffiti. so to most writers banksy isn't a graff artist? great, that doesn't mean he doesn't own most people, including maybe you.

it just means the jealousy is affecting your eyes as well as your heart.

i'm not saying his graff was fucking world bending, but the dude had an original style that inspired many great current artists.

he's the only writer i know who's name is COMMONLY brought up in the defense of other writers -

i.e. lawyer saying "my defendant views himself in the genre of the Basquiat art style"

and IT HELPS.

if you do illegal shit, you're a writer.

and who fucking knows, maybe neckface is revolutionary. i don't get why people dig his shit, but i know lots of people that are fans of his and i see flicks of his shit all the time (i live in texas, not NY). just because it doesn't make me go "wow" doesn't mean it didn't inspire someone else to get off their ass and go paint.

and if they did that, they're a fucking writer.

don't hate the dead, that's the lamest kind of internet beef, for sure.

RIP Samo

and yeah, drugs are a mother fucker, but the world fucking sucks, and some people need help coping. sometimes they choose the wrong things for help. don't hate them for that, try to help them/similar others for that.

peace

• 1 year later...