JEAN-MICHEL BASQUIAT "SAMO"

shovel

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Originally posted by brasse hed@Sep 10 2005, 10:12 PM

so was there any need to post that in a rip thread for him...no. whatever anyones opinions are he was an innovator and deserves all the respect hes given, r.i.p samo

In other words "If you have nothing nice to say dont say anything at all". I should probally shut up now!!!

not for nothing but how was he a graffiti innovator?...he didn't really do pieces..he caught some tags with sayings next to them but there were heads who did that before him...like "flint..for those who dare"...who would pen his tags with a number of phrases

as a painter his stuff was cool but don't throw out the term "innovator" just because you saw the movie and think he was the first...

no one said he was the first to do it.....inovatter yes......how many people were writting graffitti in 78? not very many...and about the major pieces and all that i dont think anyone really thought it was possible yet...this thread is so that we can pay tribute to samo not to talk shit and rag on him....

RIP KING SAMO....fuck the dumb

wasnt a writter? he went out and wrote shit on walls. the key word in that last sentance is "wrote". isnt graffiti about the way you express yourself and the art and culture of hip hop and all that? well thats how he expressed him self by using catchy phrases and weird looking charectors. it may not be cool to you now but back then people might have thought wow thats really neat. so yes i do think he was a revolutionary graffitti artist because he was there in the begining of it all. so lets stop arguing about it in this thread this thread was started to say good things about samo not to talk shit to eachother so you think what you wanna think and ill think what i want too.................done!

i agree he was a writter...but revolutionary? eh i dont think so. his style was diffrent then most. but there were people like iz and dondi writting in the 70's in new york. i would think of dondi as more revolutionary than samo. no diss. rest in peace.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Guest Ron McDonald

Basquiat's paintings were by far better than his graffiti. He did get up, but he never followed the regular path of graffiti writing, and cannot really be classified as a writer. It's more like a very early form of street art, in the respect that what he did with a spraycan on the street led directly to his work in galleries. Props to the dude anyway.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

lets name this the "just found out he was alive and now I miss him thread"

this shit is right here meanwhile the margaret killgallen thread is gone and i'll have to wait 5 years for you all to figure who she is to share some pics.

dumb fucks.

• 3 weeks later...