90-year-old woman trapped in bathtub for 2 days, rescued by deli owner...

DETO

<span style='color:pink'>(Parsippany-WABC, April 28, 2004) — A deli owner is being credited with saving the life on an elderly customer who didn't showed for her morning coffee.

The 90-year old woman never misses her morning coffee. So when she failed to show up the other day, the owner got worried and called police, who rushed to her home in the nick of time.

New Jersey reporter Jen Maxfield has the story in Parsippany.

Parsippany police say that if Chris Kim hadn't called them, his 90-year-old customer probably would have died in her bath tub, where she had been trapped for almost two full days.

Louise Maciag, Survived Fall: "I just fell, that's all. It happened so quick."

Louise Maciag was opening her bathroom window when she tripped on the side of the tub and fell in.

Louise Maciag: "I couldn't get my rear-end out because I was so weak."

For more than 36 hours, Louise sat in her bath tub, trying with all her might to get out. When that failed, she kept herself busy by scrubbing the tub she was trapped in.

Louise Maciag: "I didn't worry about nothing!"

Jen Maxfield: "You didn't worry about sitting there for a week, or ..."

Louise Maciag: "No."

Drinking water from a soap dispenser, and using a bathmat for a pillow, the 90-year-old widow survived. For Louise, the most frustrating part of the ordeal, besides not being able to get up, was knowing that the people looking for her couldn't hear her screams.

Louise Maciag: "I heard the doorbell ring, I heard the knocks, I heard the telephone ... 'Sorry, I'm in the bath tub!' Nobody heard me, so ..."

One of the people knocking and calling was Chris Kim. Kim own's Mangiola's Deli, where Louise buys her coffee every morning. When she didn't show up for two days, he knew something was wrong with one of his favorite customers.

Chris Kim, Deli Owner: "I said, 'Something ain't right.' And then I start calling again, I go over to knock the door, and no answer."

Finally, Kim called the police -- call that likely saved Louise's life. Parsippany police officer climbed ladder up to her bathroom window and rescued her from the tub.

Officer Earl Kinsey, Parsippany Police Dept.: "She was very happy to see me. She says, 'It's about time you got here, and I'm hungry.'"

Lousise says she'll never move out of the house where she's lived for 60 years. But she has changed one thing -- now she's wearing a emergency alert button, so police will know immediately if she ever needs help again.

She suffered just minor bumps and bruises in that fall. She says she will continue to visit Chris Kim's deli every morning as soon as doctors tell her she's well enough to walk there again.</span>

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

Archived