MY KID STARTED COLLEGE TODAY

KaBar

Not every young person has the desire and motivation to be successful at college, straight out of high school. I definately didn't. But if you decide to "take a year off" after high school, and work a little easy job so you can think about your options, one year turns into two years, and pretty soon you realize you are going to be a lot older than the other kids going there. My first attempt, I planned a Fine Art degree, with an emphasis on painting. Wow, was that ever a shock. It's easy to think you;re going to be a "pretty good" painter, until you see some amateurs that can really paint , and you realize that being an artist takes a big risk every time he puts brush to canvas.

It's not just studying that's the important thing. It's putting brush to canvas.

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

hey kabar, i start school on sep 30th, i cant wait, im goin for graphic design, i never thought id make it and here i am....bout to start school, finally out of debt, on my way to building good credit, 21 and just now about to get a licence, just moved to a big city from nc,.... y0ou know somethin?, i looked around the other day while watchin a movie with my girlfriend and relizes for the 1st time since....shit mabey since i was born...that im truly happy, i got good shit goin for me now (unexpectadly) its really awesome, .... good luck w/ your little girls schoolin'.........im sure she'll make you proud!:idea:

Originally posted by KaBar

Not every young person has the desire and motivation to be successful at college, straight out of high school. I definately didn't. But if you decide to "take a year off" after high school, and work a little easy job so you can think about your options, one year turns into two years, and pretty soon you realize you are going to be a lot older than the other kids going there.

It's not just studying that's the important thing. It's putting brush to canvas.

well, i was told that same shit by my dad..

and i quit in the middle for three years, went back fully ready, and did well..

being a little or a lot older than the other people isn't so bad..

i had more than a few 'nontraditional' students in my classes..in opther words, they were old as fuck...some weren't , but had kids and a husband, some were both..

and the job thing, i meant she should work WHILE IN SCHOOL

like an easy at school part time thing..

i really do think it builds a lot of character ...and a more realistic perception of the world at large, and the way things tend to work...

e.g. no such thing as a free ride

plus, it helps kids remember why they are there in the first place..

so they won't work a bullshit job forever..

and for real, i meant that advice for her..

a friend of mine took that advice at the eleventh hour (senior year)

got his internshipo with ZERO effort (walked into the office and gave them his name and major, they did the rest)

and now he's headed off to rome in a couple days for his final semester..wow

...to be young again!!

my older bro is goin to uni in manchester on the 23rd, and in a way, i cant wait to c the back of him, but in a way, ill miss stealing fags and draw and music off of him. and wholl be my excuse now??

I actually think that "letting kids make their own mistakes" is very beneficial. If my daughter decides to drop out of college and go to work somewhere, for instance as an office worker, within a year or two she will be so FIRED UP to go back to college, she'll probably do a hell of a lot better than if she just went off to school like a good little drone.

I knew I had fucked up by not going to college early on (well before 1972) but I just couldn't figure out a way to make it happen. I think it was the shipyard welding job that really motivated me to seek higher education. It was a union Boilermakers' Union job. I attended the shipyard welding school for 6 weeks, then learned to "tack" good enough to help a ship fitter. Essentially, you just weld a little short weld wherever the tacker points, holding shit together fitted up, so that the actual welder can come weld it. It was 100 degrees in the shade, humidity was at least 90 percent. It was hot as hell. About six months of that shit and I was more than ready to get a college education. You go out and get a serious-ass job. It will make a believer out of you.

Hey Kabar,

I think it's great that you're encouraging your kid to get an education. It's time to explore.

But it's okay to spend some time exploring the things you like to do. You can jump into something and then swim in circles to convince yourself that its the right thing to do because 'there's money in it' - or you can just let go and not freak out. I certainly wasn't put on this planet to acheive financial wealth! That's just the illusion.

A BA won't be enough to really get anywhere financially anyway. If you really want to excel in a field you usually need post-baccalaureate education, and you need to bust your ass to really excel in anything you do - job, school, etc.

Talk to my over-achieving sister: she went the full college route - right after highschool spent about ten years straight to get her PhD - and I make more money than her! And I have a freaking fine arts degree! And my younger sis only has a HS diploma, but lives a great life, is an expert rock climber and has the freedom to do what she wants.

I'm going back to school also. I like education, I'm drawn to it I guess. I wish I could just get paid to learn or something.

Oh yeah - and I know so many people that go to law school to 'help the poeple' or 'join the ACLU' - then after a couple of years it's criminal law, then by the time they're out - it's corporate law, boring crap. Because they are swimming in debt and they gots ta get paid! Same cases with med school too. "oh I'm gonna get my phd so that I can use the title then help people with holistic therapies" - before you know it they're preaching the same western medicine that they used to say was so evil. Maybe in these cases, education is brainwashing.

I wouldn't have known what I wanted from college had I started back with all the other kids in my class. Its years later now, and yes, I'm going to feel akward about being an older student, but I know EXACTLY what I want to do as a career, and I have more motivation and a better sense of responsiblity when it comes to working hard to acheive my goals than I did when I was a teenager....

Guest postaholic
Originally posted by suburbian bum

hey, kabar. Can I ask you what you meant about 6th street and being "there". Im just curious.

6th street is the 'strip' here, like where all the bars/clubs and shit are at...

lotsa bands and live music along with tha clubs and bars... thats what '6th street' is all about...

and im guessing by him saynig he was there, he saw what goes on... etc...

Guest ctrl+alt+del

glass etch...im curious exactly what it is that you do?

my brother heads off to college in seattle soon. only child time. i have another brother, hes going to be a dentist:D he took his D.A.T (dental aptitude test) and kicked the shiiiit out of it. He scored in the 99th percentile. Thats tops. He should be able to get into a dental school anywhere he wants now. He's gonna have to fix my teeth for free! ahhahaha.

and you know dentists make bank.

my plan, so far, is to get a really good score on the SAT's, see if i cant get a scholarship. i have a 3.958 gpa and should easily be able to keep it up. i took psats last year and had the highest score in my grade.

just about all the kids i really liked talking to at school graduated last year so i wont have anyone to talk to, so i should be able to stay on task and get my bizz done. im 48% sure that i have ADD.:( haha this is funny, because right now i SHOULD be working on an essay for school. bah. ill get to that now.

Guest ctrl+alt+del

.....howd you know i was pale?

high school really isnt too hard, its just the concentrating. i still havnt worked on that essay, my brother got a laptop today so i fucked around on that for a few hours.

Sixth Street in Austin

Suburbian Bum---Every college town of any size has a entertainment/bar district, usually adjacent to the main "student quarter" if such a thing exists in that town. Austin has numerous schools in addition to University of Texas' main campus, so it is a swarm of college kids on the weekend. UT alone has 55,000 students, with about 8,000 of them being incoming freshmen. There are also many University events that draw visitors to Austin, such as Alumni meetings, football games, etc. All these visitors have money in their pocket and so Austin has a lot of nice small hotels, restaurants, clubs, bars, etc. Many students and former students work in these places--you're very likely to run into a waiter or bartender who is presently or formerly was a UT student.

Sixth Street is a generic term for the strip of Austin clubs and bars and restaurants that was initially right on Sixth Street itself, but now has spread to the surrounding streets. There are several areas similar to this in Houston: the "Lower Montrose Strip", Washington Street in the Heights, the Richmond Strip in west Houston. Of course, Sixth Street is a lot cooler and more upscale than the corresponding club areas in Houston.

Sixth Street has been a club/ music/ bar area for over twenty years, I guess. I went to clubs and bars on Austin's Guadalupe Street back in the '60s, when I hung out in Austin as a young hippie, and Sixth Street in the '70s and '80s. My daughter and her friends act like they invented it or something, and that it is SO COOL that "old folks" couldn't possibly understand. It just makes me smile a little, that's all.

Archived