Old Cans Of Paint, Serious Collectors

Slyle CMC

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • Replies 5.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ok, I'm selling off whats left of my old collection. I sold and used most of my stuff a few years ago and now I just have around 200 cans left. It's far too many for me to list so heres pics of most of em; http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v74/decayism/ . I posted awhile ago about selling and a few of you guys got back to me but I just havent had to time to keep on top of it. So if yall see anything, let me know at decayism@yahoo.com. Make sure you put vintage cans or someshit in the subject.

Math_

attachment.php?attachmentid=57774&d=1179898744

holy crap i have trouble hiding my dozen or so cans from my mom but all this:eek: do you own a warehouse or something lol. on a more serious note how much would it run me to buy an icy grape from a collector because ive been looking for awhile and havent had any luck?

Nice choice of ps2 games. Anyways, I picked up a vintage can like 2 weeks ago. Its a Krylon, borden era, some shit called dulling spray and it's copper. I will try to get a pic within today or tomorrow (soon prety much). it was 2 bucks lol

-perhaps a stupid question, but is Krylon "Mauve 2414" still around?

-and definitely a stupid question - when did Krylon make the logo switch from solid overlapped colors rendered 3 dimensional looking balls? i know it was some point in the 90's but any one know what year?

Oh crap i bought a few cans of this stuf a few years back in london the blue nile and the mushroom spring to mind.

i didn't realise they were collectable i jsut throught they were cheap.

This stuff was the best paint around when i was a youngster, i think that at least 30 of my first pieces had at more than one or two of those colors in it. It was no good for final outline though unless you could get used to the little pressure splutter when you first started to final.

I loved the smell of that shit

I got a question for you can collectors, im new to the game and have been collecting other things over time. I was wondering if putting old cans into zip lock backs will affect the can in anyway? I do this with other hobbies to prevent oils and dust from collecting on the objects but was wondering if you can do that with a can?

Even though some would like to think notch tops were 70's, it seems more likely early 80's along with most name on cans. I know some of the notch tops were "new colors for the 80's" cans. And I have seen notch tops that also had name/ing labels on them. Any thoughts from anyone else???

79-80. definitely a very short run, the notches. i would love to find out exactly why they made those tops, cause they usually fail. but the charts show notches from those dates.

dope post top gun, i still have some of the old belton ral and deco cans with the rainbow labels.

jonnie elscro, does that forrest green scotty have lead in it? i seem to recall that was the only rusto or krylon color that actually did.

the 72/73 Rusto Forest Green was the LAST to have lead in it. Several Rusto colors were made with lead through the 60s and they slowly eliminated it. The funny thing is, even though the consumer lines were done by 72/73, the industrial stuff had it until the 90s. But then again, you couldn't get that stuff in cans easily.

if it doesn't say that it contains lead, then it doesn't. the paint biz knew about lead hazards in the 50s and was working to remove it even then. i like how writers tend to "imagine" that there's lead in paint or that makes the paint thicker.

the 72/73 Rusto Forest Green was the LAST to have lead in it. Several Rusto colors were made with lead through the 60s and they slowly eliminated it. The funny thing is, even though the consumer lines were done by 72/73, the industrial stuff had it until the 90s. But then again, you couldn't get that stuff in cans easily.

if it doesn't say that it contains lead, then it doesn't. the paint biz knew about lead hazards in the 50s and was working to remove it even then. i like how writers tend to "imagine" that there's lead in paint or that makes the paint thicker.

thanks, do you know what other colors had lead based pigments for rusto? im especially interested in the yellows, being that the only really opaque bright yellow pigments are lead or other heavy metal based.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
thanks, do you know what other colors had lead based pigments for rusto? im especially interested in the yellows, being that the only really opaque bright yellow pigments are lead or other heavy metal based.

well, what are you looking for? paint to collect that impresses you because it's leaded or paint to use because it's leaded? there's plenty of leaded paint out there that's lousy to use, bright or not. believe me, i've tested this premise-- John Deere, Toro, and many other implement/farm/outdoor companies made leaded paint for years but it's nothing special. if you manage to find a rusto yellow or orange from the 60s, it will have lead in it, but not only would it be dumb to try and use, but it likely won't work.

if you want yellows that were good quality, i would look for certain 80s and 90s krylon and rusto yellows.... not all are consistent (and some of the better ones, like Sunset Yellow Rusto, can be really heavy and likes to run and drip) but you might be surprised. some of my favorites are the yellows from the early American Accents line, and caterpillar yellows (aka topaz and/or marigold yellows) krylon (80s/90s) are very good as well. chrome yellow and harvest gold got the job done too.

oh, lest i forget....

traditionally reds, yellows, greens, and oranges are the colors that you might find lead in, at least as far as sprays go. if you go way back, white was commonly leaded, but i've never seen a spray can of white with lead nor heard of one... this was a while before sprays existed. i don't have the data in front of me, but i know that the farther back you go, the more Rusto colors had lead in them. But 72 Forest Green was the last.

i really have to say, titanium dioxide is a much better base for spray paint than lead is, as far as paint quality, consistency and reliability goes. lead seems interesting and arcane, but it's no big deal. be careful if you're gonna use that stuff, it's dangerous and you should at the very least use a respirator. don't be surprised if you're disappointed at the paint quality.

Archived